• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Court Summons for October 30th - Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucaChuck

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2024
Messages
13
Location
Crawley
On September 3rd 2024, I was stopped at London Bridge by a Southern Eastern Officer. Given that I was unable to produce a valid ticket for my journey from Crawley to London Bridge, I have been asked a series of questions as part of the MG11 statement procedure. I have provided my correct details, and been given a slip of paper with a case reference and a notice of prosecution. I have “short-ticketed” from Crawley to Clapham Junction for the past eight months. This is the first time my name goes on a Transport Company record for unpaid fares.

I have received the letter asking for my version of what happened. I have replied to it following your advice:
  • Show insight, remorse and be sorry for what has happened
  • Make clear what I have learnt from the incident
  • Be keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
  • Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter
However, I have received this morning the court summoning at Bexley Magistrates Courts for the 30th of October. Please find attached all the documentation received. The MG11 statement is correct.

I was wondering if you can provide any advice on how to proceed further. Is there possibility to serve time? Is pleading guilty the best option?

Thank you for your support.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5982.jpeg
    IMG_5982.jpeg
    572.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_5983.jpeg
    IMG_5983.jpeg
    419.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_5984.jpeg
    IMG_5984.jpeg
    665.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_5985.jpeg
    IMG_5985.jpeg
    550.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_5986.jpeg
    IMG_5986.jpeg
    545.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_5987.jpeg
    IMG_5987.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_5988.jpeg
    IMG_5988.jpeg
    670.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_5989.jpeg
    IMG_5989.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_5990.jpeg
    IMG_5990.jpeg
    450.8 KB · Views: 174
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FrochsNewNose

Member
Joined
6 Jun 2024
Messages
5
Location
Kent
Funnily enough I just received one of these this morning as well!!

Had written to them with the whole out of court settlement thing but I noticed on the day I got caught that there were about 25 people just from my train that got pulled up and so they are just sending out mass court summons. As I mentioned when I got caught at the time I'd been doing it for a couple of months, so being taken to court for 27.60 plus 150 and a fine is probably a half decent outcome in light of everything, I'll be pleading guilty and just getting on with life.
 

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,330
Location
Reading
You could take legal advice on the question of whether, at London Bridge, having paid to travel on the railway the "certain distance" between Clapham Junction and London Bridge, you can be considered to have travelled "beyond" that distance.

Did you mention anything about the previous journeys to them? If you did, have you got proof of that? This may help you negotiate a settlement out-of-court (offering to reimburse them for the other journeys if they otherwise couldn't prove them).
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,333
On September 3rd 2024, I was stopped at London Bridge by a Southern Eastern Officer. Given that I was unable to produce a valid ticket for my journey from Crawley to London Bridge, I have been asked a series of questions as part of the MG11 statement procedure. I have provided my correct details, and been given a slip of paper with a case reference and a notice of prosecution. I have “short-ticketed” from Crawley to Clapham Junction for the past eight months. This is the first time my name goes on a Transport Company record for unpaid fares.

I have received the letter asking for my version of what happened. I have replied to it following your advice:
  • Show insight, remorse and be sorry for what has happened
  • Make clear what I have learnt from the incident
  • Be keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
  • Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter
However, I have received this morning the court summoning at Bexley Magistrates Courts for the 30th of October. Please find attached all the documentation received. The MG11 statement is correct.

I was wondering if you can provide any advice on how to proceed further. Is there possibility to serve time? Is pleading guilty the best option?

Thank you for your support.
One thing that may not be obvious is that if you plead (or are found) guilty then you will have to pay a fine, a surcharge and court costs on top of the prosecution costs and compensation that is mentioned on page 1 of what you have shown us. To make sure that the fine is not too much, it's really important to complete the 'statement of financial circumstances' on page 8.

I'd also point out that we have, I think, seen in the last few weeks cases of Southeastern apparently not receiving replies of the sort that you have sent in. It might be worth sending them another copy - on paper, and to their address, but by one of Royal Mail's signed for services (first class or second class) with a covering letter asking if they received it when first sent. If it's that they wrongly think that you are ignoring them then they might then move back to allowing you to settle out of court - which would still involving paying them for the ticket and costs, but avoid the fine and court costs.

But if Southeastern are determined to prosecute (and they are within their rights to do so) since you do not seem to disagree with the facts, then I would advise pleading guilty: looking at the papers I see that they will allow you to plead guilty by post. If you do that, and send in the statement of financial circumstances, you should get the lowest available fine.
 

LucaChuck

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2024
Messages
13
Location
Crawley
One thing that may not be obvious is that if you plead (or are found) guilty then you will have to pay a fine, a surcharge and court costs on top of the prosecution costs and compensation that is mentioned on page 1 of what you have shown us. To make sure that the fine is not too much, it's really important to complete the 'statement of financial circumstances' on page 8.

I'd also point out that we have, I think, seen in the last few weeks cases of Southeastern apparently not receiving replies of the sort that you have sent in. It might be worth sending them another copy - on paper, and to their address, but by one of Royal Mail's signed for services (first class or second class) with a covering letter asking if they received it when first sent. If it's that they wrongly think that you are ignoring them then they might then move back to allowing you to settle out of court - which would still involving paying them for the ticket and costs, but avoid the fine and court costs.

But if Southeastern are determined to prosecute (and they are within their rights to do so) since you do not seem to disagree with the facts, then I would advise pleading guilty: looking at the papers I see that they will allow you to plead guilty by post. If you do that, and send in the statement of financial circumstances, you should get the lowest available fine.
I did send it the first time via Royal Mail’s signed for service. However, I will never have a confirmation that they read my letter. I don’t think I have enough time to resend the letter to ensure that they have received it. I sent an email requesting to kindly consider the out of court settlement once again. Otherwise, I’ll plead guilty. Thank you for your reply.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

You could take legal advice on the question of whether, at London Bridge, having paid to travel on the railway the "certain distance" between Clapham Junction and London Bridge, you can be considered to have travelled "beyond" that distance.

Did you mention anything about the previous journeys to them? If you did, have you got proof of that? This may help you negotiate a settlement out-of-court (offering to reimburse them for the other journeys if they otherwise couldn't prove them).
Hi, thank you for your reply. No, I have never mentioned the past journey and I have never been told about it in the initial letter, or the court summoning received this morning.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Funnily enough I just received one of these this morning as well!!

Had written to them with the whole out of court settlement thing but I noticed on the day I got caught that there were about 25 people just from my train that got pulled up and so they are just sending out mass court summons. As I mentioned when I got caught at the time I'd been doing it for a couple of months, so being taken to court for 27.60 plus 150 and a fine is probably a half decent outcome in light of everything, I'll be pleading guilty and just getting on with life.
I believe this is what is left to do. I’m just sorry for myself for having a conviction on my criminal record. However, I was reading that this is a minor offence and it is spent after a year. I will plea guilty and submit my statement, including the following mitigating factors: No history of fare evasion and be willing to cover whatever amount I’ll be asked to. I hope it does not get any worse than this.
 

FrochsNewNose

Member
Joined
6 Jun 2024
Messages
5
Location
Kent
I did send it the first time via Royal Mail’s signed for service. However, I will never have a confirmation that they read my letter. I don’t think I have enough time to resend the letter to ensure that they have received it. I sent an email requesting to kindly consider the out of court settlement once again. Otherwise, I’ll plead guilty. Thank you for your reply.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Hi, thank you for your reply. No, I have never mentioned the past journey and I have never been told about it in the initial letter, or the court summoning received this morning.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I believe this is what is left to do. I’m just sorry for myself for having a conviction on my criminal record. However, I was reading that this is a minor offence and it is spent after a year. I will plea guilty and submit my statement, including the following mitigating factors: No history of fare evasion and be willing to cover whatever amount I’ll be asked to. I hope it does not get any worse than this.
I've just been reading some more forums on here and it seems like Southeastern have been either ignoring or not receiving letter that have been sent in. I am going to send an email to them to say I had originally sent a letter to them and see if they respond, might be worth doing as well just in case they come back and say they'll accept payment not through the courts.

Forum - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/southeastern-letter.269861/#post-6897916
 

Bikerfedup

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2024
Messages
8
Location
london
Thank you for sharing your experience. I and am currently waiting for the initial letter from Southeastern. My plan is to settle out of court, and I truly hope this will be accepted. However, if it isn’t, I’d appreciate some advice on when to expect a court date.

I’m particularly concerned because I will be abroad for two weeks in February, and I fear that I might receive a court notice during that time, which would prevent me from responding promptly. I noticed that in your case, the court date was issued quite soon after the initial letter. What would happen if I received the court notice while I was away and missed the court date as a result? I’m quite anxious about this possibility and would greatly appreciate any advice anyone can offer. I live alone so I can’t rely on anyone to sort this in my absence
 
Last edited:

Elecman

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2013
Messages
3,583
Location
Lancashire
Thank you for sharing your experience. I received my MG11 on 14th October 2024 and am currently waiting for the initial letter from Southeastern. My plan is to settle out of court, and I truly hope this will be accepted. However, if it isn’t, I’d appreciate some advice on when to expect a court date.

I’m particularly concerned because I will be abroad for two weeks in February, and I fear that I might receive a court notice during that time, which would prevent me from responding promptly. I noticed that in your case, the court date was issued quite soon after the initial letter. What would happen if I received the court notice while I was away and missed the court date as a result? I’m quite anxious about this possibility and would greatly appreciate any advice anyone can offer. I live alone so I can’t rely on anyone to sort this in my absence
It’s is a Forum Rule not to mix 2 different posters requests as it’s often that the : cases are not identical. Therefore if you need advise please start your own thread
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,356
On September 3rd 2024, I was stopped at London Bridge by a Southern Eastern Officer. Given that I was unable to produce a valid ticket for my journey from Crawley to London Bridge, I have been asked a series of questions as part of the MG11 statement procedure. I have provided my correct details, and been given a slip of paper with a case reference and a notice of prosecution. I have “short-ticketed” from Crawley to Clapham Junction for the past eight months. This is the first time my name goes on a Transport Company record for unpaid fares.

I have received the letter asking for my version of what happened. I have replied to it following your advice:
  • Show insight, remorse and be sorry for what has happened
  • Make clear what I have learnt from the incident
  • Be keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
  • Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter
However, I have received this morning the court summoning at Bexley Magistrates Courts for the 30th of October. Please find attached all the documentation received. The MG11 statement is correct.

I was wondering if you can provide any advice on how to proceed further. Is there possibility to serve time? Is pleading guilty the best option?

Thank you for your support.
Has been a clutch of cases on here in last few weeks with southeastern seemingly not receiving responses from people and things escalating to court. Do all you can to contact them again with copies of your original msg and polite note asking if they received it as you’d not heard back before getting court papers.

Don’t try going via customer services. Etc you need to go to prosecutions team. Do you have an e mail for them?
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
Southeastern normally offer an out of court settlement in these sort of cases, unless the person doesn't co-operate with their investigation.

@WesternLancer is correct that we have seen some instances where letters seem to have gone missing at Southeastern. I would reach out to their Prosecutions Department and ask if they received your letter.
 

LucaChuck

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2024
Messages
13
Location
Crawley
Good morning, and thanks for your reply. When I called the prosecution team number yesterday, they confirmed they had received my response. However, they did not clarify whether this was considered in weighing their decision.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,646
Location
LBK
Good morning, and thanks for your reply. When I called the prosecution team number yesterday, they confirmed they had received my response. However, they did not clarify whether this was considered in weighing their decision.
Did you ask them whether they would be amenable to settling the case out of court?
 

LucaChuck

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2024
Messages
13
Location
Crawley
Good morning, I sent an email yesterday and this morning to prosecutions.team@southeasternrailway.co.uk requesting an out of court settlement given the court summoning.

They replied to me offering the settlement. See attached. Please note that the settlement was offered given my complete compliance to the process. Please take accountability for what you have done (if you have evaded fare wilfully) because it did help me in achieving the settlement. At the same time, I would recommend not to volunteer information if you have not been asked to.

What can I say…. Lesson learnt.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6001.jpeg
    IMG_6001.jpeg
    441.7 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_5999.jpeg
    IMG_5999.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_5998.jpeg
    IMG_5998.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,356
Good morning, I sent an email yesterday and this morning to prosecutions.team@southeasternrailway.co.uk requesting an out of court settlement given the court summoning.

They replied to me offering the settlement. See attached. Please note that the settlement was offered given my complete compliance to the process. Please take accountability for what you have done (if you have evaded fare wilfully) because it did help me in achieving the settlement.

What can I say…. Lesson learnt.
Glad to hear this has now been resolved out of court

I don't think we really know whether they are losing the responses people are sending to these cases or behind with dealing with them such that court papers are getting issued before the responses from the passenger are dealt with. Perhaps it is the former. If others are reading this I think the lesson is if you get some court papers have another go at engaging with the train operator urgently to ask again for an out of court settlement.
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,833
As an aside, why do the likes of Southeastern continue to state "[our] policy is to prosecute all those who have been reported for fare evasion" when quite clearly it isn't their policy at all. (Indeed, the very next sentence of their email contradicts it)
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,132
As an aside, why do the likes of Southeastern continue to state "[our] policy is to prosecute all those who have been reported for fare evasion" when quite clearly it isn't their policy at all. (Indeed, the very next sentence of their email contradicts it)
I've often wondered that. It does feel a bit misleading.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
As an aside, why do the likes of Southeastern continue to state "[our] policy is to prosecute all those who have been reported for fare evasion" when quite clearly it isn't their policy at all. (Indeed, the very next sentence of their email contradicts it)
They say this as a deterrent. If they didn't people would be less likely to engage with them.

A bit like shops having a notice saying 'we always prosecute shoplifters'.
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,833
They say this as a deterrent. If they didn't people would be less likely to engage with them.

A bit like shops having a notice saying 'we always prosecute shoplifters'.

That doesn't work when the two statements are consecutive sentences in the same letter though, does it? I'd understand it if the fact finding letter was heavy handed and the second one more conciliatory, but unless they only want the deterrent to last for two seconds its madness
 

Bikerfedup

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2024
Messages
8
Location
london
Good morning, and thanks for your reply. When I called the prosecution team number yesterday, they confirmed they had received my response. However, they did not clarify whether this was considered in weighing their decision.
I’m so happy for you! Please can you confirm the prosecution teams number ?
 

LucaChuck

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2024
Messages
13
Location
Crawley
I've just been reading some more forums on here and it seems like Southeastern have been either ignoring or not receiving letter that have been sent in. I am going to send an email to them to say I had originally sent a letter to them and see if they respond, might be worth doing as well just in case they come back and say they'll accept payment not through the courts.

Forum - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/southeastern-letter.269861/#post-6897916

I’m so happy for you! Please can you confirm the prosecution teams number ?
03300959327
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,838
They say this as a deterrent. If they didn't people would be less likely to engage with them.
And, of course, they do prosecute those who don’t engage with them. So, the proof is in the exception.
 

FrochsNewNose

Member
Joined
6 Jun 2024
Messages
5
Location
Kent
@LucaChuck Thanks for putting the number in, I was perturbed to see that you had already received a response from Southeastern, knowing that I'd probably emailed earlier than yourself. I was able to speak to someone on the phone who said they'd be willing to consider letting me have an out of court settlement if I emailed in again which I have now done. Going to keep my fingers crossed that they actually come back to me.
 

LucaChuck

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2024
Messages
13
Location
Crawley
@LucaChuck Thanks for putting the number in, I was perturbed to see that you had already received a response from Southeastern, knowing that I'd probably emailed earlier than yourself. I was able to speak to someone on the phone who said they'd be willing to consider letting me have an out of court settlement if I emailed in again which I have now done. Going to keep my fingers crossed that they actually come back to me.
I emailed them on Tuesday afternoon, and then again yesterday morning around 8a.m. They replied about 40 minutes later. I wish you all the best mate.
 

molsul26

New Member
Joined
9 Nov 2024
Messages
1
Location
Hertfordshire
I have had the same issue and emailed in to offer out of court settlement but no response yet and court date looming. The phone number provided above and on the letter goes to a payment team who say they cannot help. Has anyone had this and can’t advise?
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
I have had the same issue and emailed in to offer out of court settlement but no response yet and court date looming. The phone number provided above and on the letter goes to a payment team who say they cannot help. Has anyone had this and can’t advise?
Please make a post of your own including all details and photos/scans of the paperwork you received. No two cases are exactly the same so it is requested that all individual cases go on their own thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top