• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Court Hearing. Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

roserose

New Member
Joined
1 Nov 2024
Messages
1
Location
Southampton
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me.

I have received a court hearing or £175 fine for forgetting my railcard back in July. However, I sent proof of my railcard in the post but they have stated they have not received this and so I will be criminally convicted. This is causing me great amounts of anxiety and grief as this is the first time something like this has ever happened to me and I never usually forget my railcard. I definitely sent proof of my railcard in the post and filled out the previous form but sent it through a post box so have no proof other than a photo I took of the envelope. Is there any way to rectify this before a court hearing or will I have to plead not-guilty.

I would appreciate any help.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,049
Location
Up the creek
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me.

I have received a court hearing or £175 fine for forgetting my railcard back in July. However, I sent proof of my railcard in the post but they have stated they have not received this and so I will be criminally convicted. This is causing me great amounts of anxiety and grief as this is the first time something like this has ever happened to me and I never usually forget my railcard. I definitely sent proof of my railcard in the post and filled out the previous form but sent it through a post box so have no proof other than a photo I took of the envelope. Is there any way to rectify this before a court hearing or will I have to plead not-guilty.

I would appreciate any help.

Please post the letters or e-mails that you have received in this thread. Please obscure your name, address and any other identifying details, such as reference numbers.

Are you sure you sent the requested details to the correct address and with all reference numbers, etc. correctly attached?
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,387
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me.

I have received a court hearing or £175 fine for forgetting my railcard back in July. However, I sent proof of my railcard in the post but they have stated they have not received this and so I will be criminally convicted. This is causing me great amounts of anxiety and grief as this is the first time something like this has ever happened to me and I never usually forget my railcard. I definitely sent proof of my railcard in the post and filled out the previous form but sent it through a post box so have no proof other than a photo I took of the envelope. Is there any way to rectify this before a court hearing or will I have to plead not-guilty.

I would appreciate any help.
as @Gloster says we need more info which will be easiest if you post anonymised copies of all that you have received. Including the original request for copies if you still have it. This will help people know things like:

- Which train company are you dealing with?

- When is the court date scheduled?

- What was the timeline (ie when did you get stopped without your railcard?, when did they write to you, when did you reply etc?)

- was the ticket discounted with the correct Railcard that you held and presumably the railcard was valid and in date on the day of travel?

- what type of Railcard do you hold

it may be that what you need to do is send copies to them again with a brief covering letter saying it looks like they did not receive your previous post and asking them if they can cancel the court action. This time send all that with tracked postage / signed for form a post office - if you get the info here ASAP and people can help you with the covering note wording (you can start drafting that however) then you could catch the post at a a post office mid morning Saturday and get it sent to them signed for / tracked 24 hour delivery so this time you have proof and can see it gets delivered, in the hope this can get sorted out.

But it would be valuable to see what you have received to check if your understanding of the current situation is correct (not saying it isn't but plenty of cases on here where people don't ralsie the situation they are in and what stage it has got to as of course it's unfamiliar for most people to be dealing with this sort of thing)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top