anti-pacer
Established Member
What? No love for north of Edinburgh?
Maybe the odd service to/from Aberdeen.
What? No love for north of Edinburgh?
Four posts, that must be a record.
It's just been done to death. Can't we just take it as fact that Voyagers smell?Someone who doesn't need to travel XC Voyager very often right here.
I think the best suggestion for an augmented XC service is to continue trains to Cardiff to Swansea.
It would be good, but does adding two hours to the turn then throw the rest of their schedule through the window? And is there the unmet demand - there's already something like 45 trains a day between Cardiff and Swansea?I think the best suggestion for an augmented XC service is to continue trains to Cardiff to Swansea.
Wick to Penzance in a 158... that'll be some people's idea of hell.How about a Wick to Penzance XC service?
Wick to Penzance in a 158... that'll be some people's idea of hell.
No, the UNHCHR would get involved if anyone suggested that.Couldn't be much worse on Miseryrail 142!
Fekorf, you get paid more than enough as it is!I love these threads.
I have one suggestion to improve XC. Pay their drivers more
Has been considered before. I don't think this will ever happen due to cost of training. Add to that lack of available 170s
It would be good, but does adding two hours to the turn then throw the rest of their schedule through the window? And is there the unmet demand - there's already something like 45 trains a day between Cardiff and Swansea?
Depends what you define as soon.
October 2019, although it was originally due to end next month.
I can't speak for the North East, but you can get from the Scottish cities that XC serves to Swansea in one change already.I think it would have a practical use. Swansea is 2 changes away from places that can't be easily reached from Cardiff, including some parts of the North East, North West, East Midlands and Scotland.
For example, frequencies, routes, new destinations, taking routes off the franchise, adding new ones on.
How would you change it or do you think it's fine as it is.
Like the idea to bin off the XC Scotland services, chop at Newcastle, there's TPE & VTEC going north, plus opens some paths for open access operations. A big order of bi-modes would be lovely, reform some of the 22x units into longer units and reform some into regional units for cascades onto suitable routes to allow 158/159's to enable these to be cascaded onto routes that only need 2-3 carriages.
The current franchise ends in October 2016 (along with Voyager leases).
A Direct Award with Arriva has been signalled to take it to Oct 2019, but there has been total silence about negotiations - during which time many of the dominos of other franchises have fallen (eg TPE, GWR award etc).
Arriva, who repeatedly failed to win other franchise competitions, have now won Northern and are well-placed to keep XC.
I would expect some negotiations between DfT and Arriva are in progress, but the pattern of Direct Awards seems to be steady as you are rather than any big changes.
In particular, there is still no clarity on the future of the 22x fleet nationwide, and this is the most important factor in any XC plans in the medium term.
You can forget about electric spine, TPE and MML electrification affecting the next XC franchise plans in the current Hendy climate.

But I cannot see anyway that XC services are going to improve within the next 10years. For a start XC is the forgotten franchise. They don't serve London or are seen as part of the Northern powerhouse so there is simply no political desire to improve services.
But I cannot see anyway that XC services are going to improve within the next 10years. For a start XC is the forgotten franchise. They don't serve London or are seen as part of the Northern powerhouse so there is simply no political desire to improve services.
Probably one of the better points made about XC instead of the constantly repeated scrap Voyagers and bring back HSTs.
I would like to see services speeded up though through the removal of stops; I'd start by running all Voyager/HST services as express between Birmingham to Derby, Newcastle to Edinburgh and Stoke-on-Trent to Manchester.
I want rid of the horrible voyagers and would be more happy with HSTI detest voyagers. Seriously more capacity is the key.
That would mean (excluding any services which are currently run doubled up) about 40% of the 220's would be permanently doubled up.
Spot on , whoever allowed such short formed and smelly stock on our railway for such long distance journeys should have their b*lls placed upon the rails...
The HSTs are not a permanent solution, but there's no need for EMUs to increase capacity just yet. Maybe getting XC to use the HST rakes they do have- rather than leaving half of them parked in Craigentinny all week- might be a good start.