bolt057068
Member
Does anyone know if there are any plans to upgrade the Bolton-Blackburn line? Currently, I would say 50% of the line is single; surely it would benefit from being double-tracked.
Darwen's football ground is at the north end of the town, a good distance from the rail station as I found out on Saturday! Therefore I suggest the north side needs a station, BUT the line "bends away" from the main road/housing so I'm not sure how much use it would be. Some location like the bottom of Snape Street could be used, but it's very close to the proper station.There has been a longstanding, vague, and unfunded idea for a new station north of Darwen, likely near Ewood Park.
Hall i' th' Wood Station is set to become step-free courtesy of an accessibility upgrade funded by TfGM. No timeline that has been published.
Otherwise, the next upgrade will likely be Multi-Mode rolling stock when Northern receives their new fleet in 2031, which would see longer train lengths and the use of existing electrification between Manchester and Bolton.
No trains from Burnley use it. Everything comes from Blackburn & Clitheroe.Darwen's football ground is at the north end of the town, a good distance from the rail station as I found out on Saturday! Therefore I suggest the north side needs a station, BUT the line "bends away" from the main road/housing so I'm not sure how much use it would be. Some location like the bottom of Snape Street could be used, but it's very close to the proper station.
So that aside, passing points and a new station close to Ewood might improve the line considerably. Do any trains from Burnley use the line? If not, increased capacity might bet bnetter connections between Burnley and Manchester via Bolton?
I'm only using Google Maps here (and we know the problems of using "flat maps"!) but is there any credible chance of a station near the location of ex-Lower Darwen station at the B6231?Darwen's football ground is at the north end of the town, a good distance from the rail station as I found out on Saturday! Therefore I suggest the north side needs a station, BUT the line "bends away" from the main road/housing so I'm not sure how much use it would be. Some location like the bottom of Snape Street could be used, but it's very close to the proper station.
So that aside, passing points and a new station close to Ewood might improve the line considerably. Do any trains from Burnley use the line? If not, increased capacity might bet bnetter connections between Burnley and Manchester via Bolton?
My thought too, but the area around has rather a lot of open space for it to generate much traffic.I'm only using Google Maps here (and we know the problems of using "flat maps"!) but is there any credible chance of a station near the location of ex-Lower Darwen station at the B6231?
When there was 1tph and no through traffic it wasn't stupid.It was a stupid decision to reduce it single track in the first place when a backwater like Settle Jn. to Carnforth (and for that matter Blackburn to Hellifield) remain double.
I agree, I don't think there is a need.The two track section was increased a while back. Unless there is a need to increase services along there then not a lot is going to happen.
Sough Tunnel (Suff) was the issue as the new train carriages couldn't pass through on a double track, the same infliction as the old Farnworth tunnel, as that line needed to be doubled they built another tunnel. .. and then another!It was a stupid decision to reduce it single track in the first place when a backwater like Settle Jn. to Carnforth (and for that matter Blackburn to Hellifield) remain double.
It was mooted recently by local Councillors, along with another on the south side of Darwen. I really can't see there being enough demand. Maybe a Parkway type setup next to junction 4 on the M65 adjacent to the services might have more merit... but you'd need a more frequent service to Manchester for that to work.I'm only using Google Maps here (and we know the problems of using "flat maps"!) but is there any credible chance of a station near the location of ex-Lower Darwen station at the B6231?
....which would mean a substantial extra section of double track (Entwistle area?). And there's not a huge catchment area for traffic off the M65 - to the west Buckshaw Parkway is a better alternative, and to the east you have the A56/M65. That really leaves the leafier parts of Hyndburn District....It was mooted recently by local Councillors, along with another on the south side of Darwen. I really can't see there being enough demand. Maybe a Parkway type setup next to junction 4 on the M65 adjacent to the services might have more merit... but you'd need a more frequent service to Manchester for that to work.

Agree with the above. Thats why the line is probably already at full potential.....which would mean a substantial extra section of double track (Entwistle area?). And there's not a huge catchment area for traffic off the M65 - to the west Buckshaw Parkway is a better alternative, and to the east you have the A56/M65. That really leaves the leafier parts of Hyndburn District....![]()
Indeed there isn’t - so did I until I retired.Agree with the above. Thats why the line is probably already at full potential.
Apart from the 'Untapped demand' for through services between Manchester and Settle....
Nothing wrong with those leafy parts of Hyndburn...some of us live here...![]()