This arises from the current discussion on Gatwick Express, but is speculative so I'm placing it here.
Namely, given that GX is on long term suspension, could the paths be re-used for something else?
I note that two of the paths (xx00 and xx30) are currently being used for a fast-ish Brighton service, though it misses Clapham Junction; I would probably replace the Haywards Heath call with a Clapham call personally, as Haywards Heath has other fast services while Clapham has NO off-peak direct services to Brighton at all, for the first time since before 1981.
Could the xx15 and xx45 paths also be used for a (slighty slower) Brighton service maybe, to give a 15-min-interval fast or semi-fast service between Victoria and Brighton and extra capacity to Gatwick? Or, when Gatwick travel recovers (and given the dropping of Covid restrictions by several countries, perhaps this will be the coming summer) a non-premium-priced crowd-busting Gatwick shuttle, calling at Clapham Junction and East Croydon?
Namely, given that GX is on long term suspension, could the paths be re-used for something else?
I note that two of the paths (xx00 and xx30) are currently being used for a fast-ish Brighton service, though it misses Clapham Junction; I would probably replace the Haywards Heath call with a Clapham call personally, as Haywards Heath has other fast services while Clapham has NO off-peak direct services to Brighton at all, for the first time since before 1981.
Could the xx15 and xx45 paths also be used for a (slighty slower) Brighton service maybe, to give a 15-min-interval fast or semi-fast service between Victoria and Brighton and extra capacity to Gatwick? Or, when Gatwick travel recovers (and given the dropping of Covid restrictions by several countries, perhaps this will be the coming summer) a non-premium-priced crowd-busting Gatwick shuttle, calling at Clapham Junction and East Croydon?