brad465
Veteran Member
Seeing how shambolic the 701 rollout has been and still is, I wondered if what SWR needed was a large block of time (such as 1-2 weeks in a school holiday), where something like half of their services are suspended, but the railway physically remains open and the drivers and other staff freed up are solely dedicated to rolling out a new fleet? I think this could speed up training and identification of problems through increased capacity to do test runs. If this was enough to get a critical number of units into operation early on, this could facilitate a faster rollout later on from a strong foundation without having to temporarily cut passenger services further.
SWR is the main example I can think of, but other operators with potential large-scale fleet replacements coming up include Northern and Southeastern, could such a strategy work for them?
SWR is the main example I can think of, but other operators with potential large-scale fleet replacements coming up include Northern and Southeastern, could such a strategy work for them?