• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could anyone tell me what these are? (edit: it's a datum plate!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADIRU

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2016
Messages
23
I have often wondered what these items are in the face of many railway station platforms. I'd be most interested and grateful to know what they are.
Apologies if this has been covered before.
Thanks.
View attachment 45771
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,684
Location
LBK
I just knew before opening the thread that this would be about datum plates. :)

http://www.railsigns.uk/info/other1/other1.html
Datum plates are fixed to structures (platforms, bridges and overhead line masts, etc.) located near the track. The details on the plate specify the relative position of the track, which can then be monitored for movement.....
 
Last edited by a moderator:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,560
Location
Yorkshire
I just knew before opening the thread that this would be about datum plates. :)

http://www.railsigns.uk/info/other1/other1.html
I thought so too, but we have had a few false positives lately :lol:

Anyway here goes....

This crops up quite often, so much so that when people see a thread titled "What is this?" the first thought is that the likely answer is going to be: "it's a datum plate!", hence you see some threads titled "What is this? (not a datum plate)" ;)
I'm not a rail expert or rail enthusiast in the slightest, but I would guess they are gauges to indicate the height of the nearest rail.
Yes, they indicate the intended height of the railhead, which is necessary information in track maintenance.

It was discussed informatively in this thread a year or so ago, which might be helpful.
You are all correct. These are called datum plates. The red block on them indicates the height of the rail. The plates also have details of what the cant is and the distance from the plate to the running edge of the closest rail. They are commonly found on platforms but are also on bridges sign posts signals etc. They are used to monitor track movement and to help with maintenance. Hope this helps you.

(the above was last posted by me 7 months ago and will no doubt be posted again in the next few months...;))
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top