plannerman
Member
Hi all
This is a hypothetical situation, but one which I'm sure will happen at some point. My local station is Bache, which is unstaffed with one TVM. Fairly often this is not working (it actually has a metal shutter which comes down across it, presumably to stop theft attempts). When travelling on Merseyrail to Liverpool that's fine, they always seem to know about it so buying at destination is ok.
But I often travel the other way, to Manchester via Chester. What happens in the event that the TVM is out of service, if there's no time to buy at Chester (the ticket window is across the footbridge and the Manchester train is back over the footbridge again) and if the guard doesn't come round / is unable to sell tickets on the Manchester train. In that case, the first opportunity to buy would be the friendly RPI's at Manchester Piccadilly, renowned for their helpful customer-focused attitude. Would they believe / take my word that the TVM is broken at a station well off their patch, which presumably they cannot easily check? I would refuse to take a Penalty Fare (if indeed one was offered) as they are for honest mistakes - and no mistake has been made. So what should my approach be? What would happen?
I am worried about this as I have come close a few times - I have always been able to get across the footbridge at Chester, buy and get back but it's been tight. The lack of a TVM at Bache and lack of a visible guard on the Manchester train are frequent enough to worry me that if I could not purchase in Chester for any reason (queue at the window being the obvious) that the above scenario could easily happen.
Any thoughts?
This is a hypothetical situation, but one which I'm sure will happen at some point. My local station is Bache, which is unstaffed with one TVM. Fairly often this is not working (it actually has a metal shutter which comes down across it, presumably to stop theft attempts). When travelling on Merseyrail to Liverpool that's fine, they always seem to know about it so buying at destination is ok.
But I often travel the other way, to Manchester via Chester. What happens in the event that the TVM is out of service, if there's no time to buy at Chester (the ticket window is across the footbridge and the Manchester train is back over the footbridge again) and if the guard doesn't come round / is unable to sell tickets on the Manchester train. In that case, the first opportunity to buy would be the friendly RPI's at Manchester Piccadilly, renowned for their helpful customer-focused attitude. Would they believe / take my word that the TVM is broken at a station well off their patch, which presumably they cannot easily check? I would refuse to take a Penalty Fare (if indeed one was offered) as they are for honest mistakes - and no mistake has been made. So what should my approach be? What would happen?
I am worried about this as I have come close a few times - I have always been able to get across the footbridge at Chester, buy and get back but it's been tight. The lack of a TVM at Bache and lack of a visible guard on the Manchester train are frequent enough to worry me that if I could not purchase in Chester for any reason (queue at the window being the obvious) that the above scenario could easily happen.
Any thoughts?