• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus words of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom B

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2005
Messages
4,680
Contactless - a method of payment where you take your credit card out your wallet, back pocket, mouth, or bra, then place it on a reader that another 250 people that day have touched, before reinserting it into wallet, back pocket, mouth or bra... in order to avoid using cash "because that's dirty!"

Key Worker - a phrase blurted out loudly, usually by a middle aged bloke who washes lorries that are used to deliver toilet roll supplies that occasionally go to hospitals, when demanding to jump the supermarket queue; whilst almost never used by surgeons and ambulancemen

The general naff/twee phrases by companies about safety are amusing. It's like they are recycling the same few words but trying to avoid having the same slogan as another firm. "Let's shop safe together" "Keeping you safe whilst shopping with us" etc etc. It's quite similar to the H&S slogans that are embossed on the hi-vis jackets worn by building contractors declaring how safe their site is and how they want everyone to keep safety in mind, and to express their dedication to the cause of copying and pasting risk assessments and keeping them on-site in a dusty folder. Said hi vi is usually worn whilst standing on top of an unsafe ladder and using ill-fitting work equipment to do a job quicker/cheaper.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
Lockdown
Stay Apart
Hot Bed of Transmission (basic quote from Sturgeon in terms of gyms in terms of Covid-19.... I wonder if this will backfire?)
Remember F/A/C/T/S.... (Scot Government ad)
Covid-Free (another fantasy that one)
Elimination/Eliminate
Test/Protect (prefer the UK Gov slogan than this one)
 
Last edited:

Class 33

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2009
Messages
2,362
"We're all in this together."

"We're living in extraordinary times."
 

adc82140

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2008
Messages
3,421
"NHS heroes". No. It's a job. A job that I do. I like to think I do it well, as anyone should do in any job. I'm paid quite reasonably for it, that's my reward. If I didn't want to do it, then I can resign.

"God Bless the NHS". Nope, not a religion either. It's a state owned organisation that we pay handsomely for with our taxes. It's also far from perfect, and is utterly inefficient. Whilst 95% of the staff have the best interests of their patients as the top priority, 5% are in it for themselves and are either lazy or self obsessed.
 

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
'Contact Free' delivery - which seems to mean putting the package on your doorstep rather than handing it to you.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
"NHS heroes". No. It's a job. A job that I do. I like to think I do it well, as anyone should do in any job. I'm paid quite reasonably for it, that's my reward. If I didn't want to do it, then I can resign.

"God Bless the NHS". Nope, not a religion either. It's a state owned organisation that we pay handsomely for with our taxes. It's also far from perfect, and is utterly inefficient. Whilst 95% of the staff have the best interests of their patients as the top priority, 5% are in it for themselves and are either lazy or self obsessed.

When I said on Facebook that "..if worshipping the NHS is the new religion, then I am going to become an atheist.." I got quite a number of critical comments.

Don't get me wrong - I know that staff treating COVID-19 patients have worked incredibly hard, but whilst COVID-19 has exposed the strengths of the NHS it has also exposed its' weaknesses, with many treatments being cancelled or delayed, and it becoming almost impossible to see a GP in person.

Does anyone remember the episode of Yes Minister when there was a brand new hospital with no patients in it. And yet that has become a realit, with the Nightingale Hospitals largely unused?

I have even seen a banner with the NHS described as the National Hero Service, which I think is a bit cringeworthy, even for those who work in the NHS.
 

mlambeuk

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2013
Messages
265
Location
York
Now more than ever
Lockdown
Blended learning
Air bridges
members of the same household
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
We have had bubble already, but not support bubble

I have also seen the current situation used as a euphemisim for "the pandemic".
 
Joined
23 May 2020
Messages
293
Location
Blandford Forum
Contactless - a method of payment where you take your credit card out your wallet, back pocket, mouth, or bra, then place it on a reader that another 250 people that day have touched, before reinserting it into wallet, back pocket, mouth or bra... in order to avoid using cash "because that's dirty!"

Just to be clear. A contactless card is contactless. You do not have to touch the reader, Just hold it about 1 inch, ~2cm from the reader and it will work. So there is no issue.
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
My 3 most hated words/phrases at present:

“Essential”
“Unprecedented”
“For the greater good”
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,510
Location
Cheshire
There's one word that has thus far been left out:

Compliance

We now talk in terms of compliance, making our society sound just a little more dystopian.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Taunton or Kent
We have had bubble already, but not support bubble

I have also seen the current situation used as a euphemisim for "the pandemic".
I've used "the current situation" often in conversation, but back in March before it all kicked off big time, I used to describe covid as "you know what", which up until that point was specially reserved for Brexit.
 

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2014
Messages
6,594
Location
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Self-isolate

Self-quarantine

Fomite (where door knobs/surfaces have been "contaminated")

Aerosol-generating procedures (well-known in the medical or industrial field but lesser known/used in the public domain)

Cohort

Droplet transmission

Containment
 

Nicholas43

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2011
Messages
653
Location
Radley
Originally (chiefly US): total confinement of prisoners to their cells, for example following a riot.
From March 2020 (also Brit): Mostly unenforced exhortation of citizens not to go out much, following rules (a) chiefly invented by Facebook Karens; also (b) mentioned in ever-changing and usually incoherent ukases of government ministers; and (c) set out in unread and largely unreadable regulations made by statutory instrument under emergency powers.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Taunton or Kent
'World class', (as in Conservative Party head office opinion only).
Don't think we've mentioned the similarly used 'World beating', which certainly doesn't apply to anything positive about our handling of this.

There are plenty of 3 word/part slogans that can and have been mentioned because one of the very few things the Government is good at is marketing tools.
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
Politicising
Loved ones
Community/Community Spirit
Constant review (yet no further updates or how they looking/investigating further)
 
Last edited:

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,584
Expert - who are these experts and what are they expert in? A hugely overused phrase.
 

DB

Guest
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
5,036
"Following the science"
"Guided by the science"

And these phrases are never acommpanied by links to the actual 'science' which demonstrates the point being made - there's either no evidence given, or the evidence doesn't match the claims made for it (e.g. masks in shops, where the supposed evidence normally cites studies in healthcare settings).
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
Why is it “the science” rather than just “science”? I’ve never heard “science” take the definite article before this year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top