This could have been in the pub bit, but I thought I’d put it here.
’The Mallard’ in Doncaster has an outside terrace, which is often used by smokers. It was a nice day yesterday, so I sat on it, not to smoke, but to look at the trains on Platform 1.
There was a table of four around which three people were standing smoking, and one sat down. The barmaid came out and said ‘you have to sit down!’ The customers, who I think were Romanian, ignored her, looking a bit bemused. When she came out again (can older readers remember Barbara Woodhouse?) she said ‘Sit! You have to sit! Or you will have to leave!’ They finished their fags anyway and went inside.
Five minutes later, a lad whom I’d taught years ago came out for a fag, and we were so pleased to see each other we instinctively shook hands - shock horror - and he stood talking to me on the far side of my
table. When she came out again, she told him to sit down.
Now I’m sure she was only obeying orders, but I haven’t seen any evidence, scientific, or indeed anecdotal, that a standing person transmits CV more than a sitting one