• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Convert Rail Travel Vouchers into Cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

800Travel

Member
Joined
3 Nov 2023
Messages
658
Location
UK
Hi,

I vaguely remember seeing a thread in which someone was able to convert a GTR voucher into cash by swapping it at a ticket office.

Does anyone know of any ways to convert a Cross Country rail travel voucher into cash please that doesn't involve contacting Cross Country themselves to request an alternative payment method?

Thank you
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jan Mayen

Established Member
Joined
30 Sep 2020
Messages
1,362
Location
Sussex
GTR certainly did for me yesterday. I'd rather they had actually just charged me less on my credit card, but I'm sure I'll find a use for the coins
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,656
Location
Merseyside
Cross Country RTVs need to be used for a purchase at a ticket office.

The only other alternative would be asking XC Customer Services if they will provide an alternative. However this is at their discretion and would involve you returning the voucher to them.
 

David57

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
279
Location
Rural Northamptonshire.
A recent experience was at LNWR's Long Buckby ticket office, unusually open!

I presented The clerk with a RTV as part payment, but they couldn't find a way on their system to enter them, so was asked if I didn't mind having them in cash, and paid full price for the ticket...
 

stadler

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2023
Messages
3,304
Location
Horsley
I believe that GTR (GX/GN/SN/TL) and Southeastern and Scotrail are the only three TOCs that do cashable vouchers. The rest just do standard rail travel vouchers that can be used for ticket purchases. Hopefully if GBR ever happens they introduce a standard system where cashable vouchers are available for any TOCs. It would certainly be useful if these cashable vouchers were done by more TOCs.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,578
GTR certainly did for me yesterday. I'd rather they had actually just charged me less on my credit card, but I'm sure I'll find a use for the coins
A recent experience was at LNWR's Long Buckby ticket office, unusually open!

I presented The clerk with a RTV as part payment, but they couldn't find a way on their system to enter them, so was asked if I didn't mind having them in cash, and paid full price for the ticket...
An inability to process part payment by voucher is slightly worrying for a Ticket Office. I’m hoping it’s skill fade rather than training!
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,656
Location
Merseyside
Northern give.you.a choice of compensation methods. One is a rail travel voucher and another is a cashable voucher. So I assume a Northern RTV can only be used for a purchase and a cashable voucher can only be used in exchange for cash and at a Northern station.
 
Joined
5 Sep 2018
Messages
234
A recent experience was at LNWR's Long Buckby ticket office, unusually open!

I presented The clerk with a RTV as part payment, but they couldn't find a way on their system to enter them, so was asked if I didn't mind having them in cash, and paid full price for the ticket...
No way! Exactly the same thing happened to me at Long Buckby ticket office a couple of months ago. I was very surprised when she handed me cash.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,039
I believe that GTR (GX/GN/SN/TL) and Southeastern and Scotrail are the only three TOCs that do cashable vouchers. The rest just do standard rail travel vouchers that can be used for ticket purchases. Hopefully if GBR ever happens they introduce a standard system where cashable vouchers are available for any TOCs. It would certainly be useful if these cashable vouchers were done by more TOCs.
Especially as RTVs aren't always issued in convenient values.

I recently had RTVs for a £28.65 delay repay payment. They came as an A4 sheet of four vouchers, value £25, £3.65, void and void. Which would be okay except that as almost all my ticket purchases are below £20, I'd much rather have had (say) £10, £10, £5 and £3.65. I have a trip planned in the summer for which my ticket will be >£50, so I'll have to keep the £25 one until then (and then remember to use it).
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
This stems from the fact that TOCs became obliged some years ago to offer a "cash option" for DelayRepay payments, and these "cashable vouchers" were one of the "cash options" allowed, alongside other options including BACS transfer, cheque, and probably others I'm not remembering. As others mention above, a minority of TOCs issue(d) them – I am not sure any still do; Southeastern mainly does BACS transfer now. Only vouchers endorsed as exchangeable for cash can be so exchanged. The vouchers I have had only permitted encashment at a booking office of the issuing TOC and then only within 4 weeks of issue, though they were valid for twelve months for the purchase of fares.

CrossCountry neither issues cashable vouchers nor has any booking offices.
 

Sonic1234

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2021
Messages
797
Location
Croydon
This stems from the fact that TOCs became obliged some years ago to offer a "cash option" for DelayRepay payments, and these "cashable vouchers" were one of the "cash options" allowed, alongside other options including BACS transfer, cheque, and probably others I'm not remembering.
GTR customer relations don't have the authority to issue cheques or BACS transfers, so if you contact them and they decide you're due a refund or a payment they'll issue one of these vouchers. I assume their customer relations is outsourced, as it is located in Derby.

You can get a BACS transfer via the delay repay form for GTR
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Not sure whether this is better or worse than Avanti who will pay out by cheque.
 
Joined
5 Sep 2018
Messages
234
This stems from the fact that TOCs became obliged some years ago to offer a "cash option" for DelayRepay payments, and these "cashable vouchers" were one of the "cash options" allowed, alongside other options including BACS transfer, cheque, and probably others I'm not remembering. As others mention above, a minority of TOCs issue(d) them – I am not sure any still do; Southeastern mainly does BACS transfer now. Only vouchers endorsed as exchangeable for cash can be so exchanged. The vouchers I have had only permitted encashment at a booking office of the issuing TOC and then only within 4 weeks of issue, though they were valid for twelve months for the purchase of fares.

CrossCountry neither issues cashable vouchers nor has any booking offices.
I didn't ask for a Rail Travel Voucher - I was just pushing LNR for compensation after the delay repay window had run out and it unexpectedly turned up in the post. I usually request BACS as I find it easiest.

I also didn't request or expect to be handed cash at the ticket office - I tried to use the voucher as part-payment for a rail ticket.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top