• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Continental-looking coach at Stoke on Trent

Status
Not open for further replies.

181

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2013
Messages
945
(If the authorities wish to move this to the preservation or international subforum, please do so).

A few days ago I was on a train passing through Stoke on Trent. In a siding a few hundred yards north of the station on the east side of the line I saw a coach which semed, from the brief glimpse I had of it, to be of somewhat old-fashioned Continental appearance, with set-back doors at each end like those in the coaches here and here. It was painted in a dark green livery (similar to the coaches in the first linked picture), with a Red Cross symbol on a white panel on the side. I didn't see it for long enough to judge whether it was built to fit a Continental structure gauge, although it wasn't conspicuously bigger than anything else in the sidings (and how could it have got there if it was?).

Does anyone know the history of this vehicle (ex-MOD? Something from a film set?) and what it's doing in Stoke?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,573
Location
Macclesfield
The carriage is an ex-Deutsche Bahn ambulance coach, akin to this example here:

The location is Cockshute sidings, essentially an overflow yard for rail vehicles in transit or storage with Reid Freight Services. Not sure who owns this particular vehicle, admittedly.
 
Last edited:
Joined
16 Sep 2025
Messages
30
Location
Alton
Last time I visited the Museum of Military Medicine at Keogh Barracks it had gone - the staff didn't know where to. It wasn't in great condition. Some years ago I posed the question about its origin on a continental vehicles forum. The underframe dates from the Prussian State Railways. DB had a major programme of rebuilding 4-wheeled, 6-wheeled and bogie coaches. All frames were 'cut & shut' to standard lengths and new bodies mounted on them. (One way of getting over the wartime damage, I suppose.)
Pat
 

Attachments

  • 20170814_134825.jpg
    20170814_134825.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 179
  • 20170814_134848.jpg
    20170814_134848.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 172
  • 20170814_134912.jpg
    20170814_134912.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 171

181

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2013
Messages
945
The carriage is an ex-Deutsche Bahn ambulance coach, akin to this example here:

The location is Cockshute sidings, essentially an overflow yard for rail vehicles in transit or storage with Reid Freight Services. Not sure who owns this particular vehicle, admittedly.
Thankyou. That certainly looks similar to what I saw.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top