• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Construction work on the western side of Guildford Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fazaar1889

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2022
Messages
629
Location
South East
What's going on in Guildford Station? There's a whole section cordoned off with fresh soils and sleepers(?) I think. I'm not sure what I actually saw. New sidings? Approximately here:
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_2025-03-01-12-28-53-55_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg
    Screenshot_2025-03-01-12-28-53-55_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 129
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
How old is that view? The trains look as though they are in Stagecoach livery.
It’s maybe 4-5 years old I think, at least 3 years. Those are 450s in shot and they’d all have been repainted by early 2024. Just shows you cannot rely on Google’s dating of satellite views.

Network Rail announced the completion of major track renewals in the junction area just north of Guildford, (where all that clean ballast is), around the Easter of 2020, and also in 2021…

Then another indication is that the carpark area on the down side, just north of the station building and alongside platform 1, has been a construction site since about 2022.
 
Last edited:

GooseWaffe

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2025
Messages
44
Location
Westcliff-On-Sea
As others have said, this is an older photo. No plans are currently going on around Guildford, atleast there isn't anything in the WON!
 

Bigfoot

Established Member
Joined
2 Dec 2013
Messages
1,425
There was a lot of concrete trunking there for a while, guessing for the endless extra trunking and cabling for the Portsmouth direct resignalling.
 

chrisjo

Member
Joined
18 May 2024
Messages
604
Location
Llanishen
The OP is quite clear that what he's describing is happening now. The satellite picture is just showing where he's seeing it, not what he's seeing.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,891
Location
Cambridge
It’s maybe 4-5 years old I think, at least 3 years. Those are 450s in shot and they’d all have been repainted by early summer of 2022. Just shows you cannot rely on Google’s dating of satellite views.
The last Desiros were painted in February/March 2024…
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
The last Desiros were painted in February/March 2024…
Don’t know where I got that from then, but there’s still the other Streetview evidence that the downside carpark work site was hoarded off by 2022. I’ll correct my post.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Could've also been for the ash line aswell
Is the site also possibly a lay down area for work on the Shalford line, such as the recent work on the Wey bridges?
 
Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,037
Is the site also possibly a lay down area for work on the Shalford line, such as the recent work on the Wey bridges?
That's certainly possible as there's no road access to the River Wey bridge at Shalford. I walked under it while the first tranche of work was being carried out last year, and as far as I could see everything had been brought to the site along the railway. However I'd have thought it would be easier to bring it from the Chilworth direction as that line was shut throughout, coming from Guildford would mean interacting with traffic on the Direct.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top