On the local community allotment there was recently a problem with water butts next to the shed which, over time, became lopsided because the ground has shifted over time (we've had extreme wet and extreme dry over the last few years). This resulted in one water butt overflowing onto the shed wall and seeping through. I have volunteered to come up with a way to make a stable platform to hold these butts so they stay in place and upright when full.
There are four water butts capable of holding somewhere between 200-250 litres of water which means four of them together will weigh close to a tonne when full. I have an idea of materials to source and how to construct a strong platform capable of supporting that weight, but am not sure how best to construct foundations which will hold the frame. One issue is the soil in that location is compacted heavy clay with clay subsoil so I could manually dig down no more than a foot or so. The foundations need to be sturdy enough that they will hold the structure in place even if the site gets waterlogged or if we have a drought and the soil becomes bone dry. Any ideas? I'm currently considering either a fence post spike or dig a hole, fill partly with aggregate, put a treated post into the hole then pour concrete.
There are four water butts capable of holding somewhere between 200-250 litres of water which means four of them together will weigh close to a tonne when full. I have an idea of materials to source and how to construct a strong platform capable of supporting that weight, but am not sure how best to construct foundations which will hold the frame. One issue is the soil in that location is compacted heavy clay with clay subsoil so I could manually dig down no more than a foot or so. The foundations need to be sturdy enough that they will hold the structure in place even if the site gets waterlogged or if we have a drought and the soil becomes bone dry. Any ideas? I'm currently considering either a fence post spike or dig a hole, fill partly with aggregate, put a treated post into the hole then pour concrete.
