• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Connections from SJ to DB at Hamburg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
4 Apr 2019
Messages
191
I've purchased a ticket for the SJ Euronight 345 for a Saturday night in October from Stockholm to Hamburg Altoona. For some reason, it arrives later into Hamburg on a Sunday morning than on the other days at 08:50, (Although this is not the question I am posting, if anyone knows why, I'd like to know just out of interest!).

I then have a Sparpreis Europa ticket (the one you can be refunded with coupons) on ICE 109 onwards to Cologne which leaves Hamburg Altoona at 10:29.

Now, an hour and a half connection seems more than enough. However, I've heard that the SJ Euronight can suffer some quite large delays.

So, does anyone have any experience of this new sleeper train that they can share?

If you were me, would you claim the DB coupons and book a train for later in the day?

But I guess the most important question is; have I got any rights to travel on a later ICE train if the SJ Euronight is that late? I'm guessing not as I've had to purchase a seperate ticket for each...but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
Night trains generally can get delayed, as you know. The delayed arrival here is to allow for diversions in Germany, particularly when maintenance is carried out on the high level canal bridge at Rendsburg. It's further complicated by the long term closure of the bridge at Lindaunis on the usual diversionary route, but 2hr is more than enough to cover any alternative.

Normally DB staff are very flexible about delayed connections, but I would get the delay confirmed by the SJ staff onboard or go to the info desk at Altona on arrival.

As you presumably have an onward connection at Koeln to somewhere outside Germany, getting the delay confirmed is extra useful. (I presume a delay into Koeln doesn't cause too many timetabling problems?)
 
Joined
4 Apr 2019
Messages
191
Thank you for your reply. We have a 50 minute connection at Koln for the Brussels train (also an ICE train, we have a through ticket from Hamburg to Brussels, so if we can get any issues sorted before leaving Hamburg, we should be good all the way through to Brussels). We end the day at a hotel in Brussels so no rushing for a Eurostar that day...which takes the pressure off considerably. (A deliberately planned overnight break after the horror stories I've read from people connecting from Germany to London)

I think I might just stick to the original booking and hope for the best, but yes, any delay, I'll find someone onboard the SJ train to see what they can do to help.

Hopefully, the extra time SJ have timetabled into our arrival that morning might favour us.
 

dutchflyer

Established Member
Joined
17 Oct 2013
Messages
1,550
Have used it the other way-till Norrköping on an InterRail in may and it was bang on time there-an odd min early. Somehow (but have to check notes) I even think it left HH some 15/20 mins late. An earlier daytrip/visit to the new tram in Odense out of HH brought delays both ways with even ala minute SEV=replacement bus in northern Schlweswig. That is on the same way.
Final reason for later arr on sunday is most likely staffing in some signal posts or the like.
Have travelled extensively in DE last months and my impression is that delays in ICE gather up as the day passes-they mostly go on time early morning. Often also mentioned on the speakers: delay from previous trip. Could also involve the serving staff.
On weekends its always very wise to check for works/reroutings and the like-these are only notified a few weeks ahead.
 

JB_B

Established Member
Joined
27 Dec 2013
Messages
1,564
We used the sleeper Hamburg-Malmö in May - departed on time but ran about ~1hr late ( which meant a slightly more civilised arrival time.)

Nice old couchette stock with some fairly basic refurbishment - friendly staff.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top