• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Connection timing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckles1066

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2010
Messages
361
Another newbie question, sorry :)

If I pump Patchway - Bath Spa into the FGW website, leaving after 8.30a.m, it tells me I can do:

8.40 Patchway - Bristol Temple Meads
9.05 Bristol Temple Meads - Bath Spa

But there's a 9.00 service that calls at Bath Spa?

Why isn't that the recommended option? (I'm sure there's a reason) :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
1,432
Location
South Liverpool
The train arrives in Bristol at 0853. The 7 minute connection time isn't long enough for National Rail to guarantee you'll make the connection - even though in reality you may well do so.

Every station has a "minimum connection time". Bristol Temple Meads' is 10 minutes, so you'll only get departures from 0903 onwards.
 

Chapeltom

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
1,316
Location
Tainan, Taiwan.
You can sometimes manipulate the connections time to make journeys a bit quicker.

I went from Formby to Chapel en le Frith and it gave me this, I wanted to leave at 1710 onwards..

1758 to 1842 - FBY to Liverpool S.P
1903 to 1941 - Liverpool S.P to Manchester Picc
1952 to 2038 - Manchester Picc to Chapel.

I instead did this:

1713 to 1740 - Formby to Moorfields (walk to P3 is a long way!)
1746 to 1748 - Moorfields to Liverpool L.S (ran from low level to high level)
1752 to 1841 - Liverpool L.S to Manchester Picc
1852 to 1938 - Manchester Picc to Chapel

I could have walked the 0.5 miles in 12 minutes, decided not to do though as I didn't have a map of Liverpool with me :| instead almost bust a gut to do it by train instead!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top