mangyiscute
Established Member
So I have seen plenty of pick-up only services such at Watford, or at Reading on Fridays and Saturdays heading towards Penzance - the reason for these being pick up only is clear. However, while checking late-night options from Paddington to Reading, I noticed that RTT has the 23:18 from London to Oxford as pick up only at Reading (the first WTT occurence is https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:W43540/2022-08-12/detailed but this is currently happening almost every weekday). This confused me as I saw no reason why this should be the case.
I did a bit of digging and searched for a journey from London to Reading at this time, and the 23:18 was not an option (https://www.gwr.com/tickets/#/3087/3149/2022-08-08/D23:00/N/N/1/0/0/1/1/N/N/N)
However, checking the TS timetable from GWR which is the summary of fast services from Paddington, the 23:18 is shown as arriving into Reading at 23:57, which suggests it can be used by passengers travelling to Reading - this is also the case in the T10 timetable for the Thames Valley stopping services.
So what is going on here? Is this train actually pick up only at Reading, and if so, why?
I did a bit of digging and searched for a journey from London to Reading at this time, and the 23:18 was not an option (https://www.gwr.com/tickets/#/3087/3149/2022-08-08/D23:00/N/N/1/0/0/1/1/N/N/N)
However, checking the TS timetable from GWR which is the summary of fast services from Paddington, the 23:18 is shown as arriving into Reading at 23:57, which suggests it can be used by passengers travelling to Reading - this is also the case in the T10 timetable for the Thames Valley stopping services.
So what is going on here? Is this train actually pick up only at Reading, and if so, why?