• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Confused over HS1 Upgrade Single - St Pancras to Swanscombe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack D

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2015
Messages
66
Hi all,

Today I thought I'd try a new route home. Rather than taking the Thameslink train from London St Pancras to Swanscombe which takes about an hour I decided to get the Southeastern High Speed service to Gravesend and then double back on myself. I'm not actually sure if I saved time or not as I had to wait twenty minutes at either end for a connection but I did have a question about tickets.

From what I understand a single ticket from London St Pancras to Gravesend costs £22.20 plus the small fair from Gravesend to Swanscombe. When I was at the ticket machine this afternoon I saw something called a HS1 upgrade for £5.00 (or so) brought it. It didn't read at the ticket barrier but the staff member on duty saw I had a ticket and waved me through anyway. I didn't need to use the ticket to pass over the footbridge at Gravesend.

What exactly did I accidentally buy?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
Did you have a ticket for the TL route?
If so, the HS upgrade is £5.80 for Gravesend but £8.20 for Swanscombe.
 

Jack D

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2015
Messages
66
Thameslink? Yeah but I took Southeastern High speed as I thought it would be quicker. Looking at national rail app I can confirm that it is but only by five minutes…
 

cool110

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
847
Location
Preston
The HS1 Upgrade is like an excess fare, it's used to add HS1 validity to an existing ticket that's not via HS1.
 

talldave

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2013
Messages
2,687
Did you have a ticket for the TL route?
If so, the HS upgrade is £5.80 for Gravesend but £8.20 for Swanscombe.
Brfares shows the off-peak Swanscombe fare as £7.70 without a Railcard.

Annoyingly - and for no logical reason - HS1 upgrades can't be discounted with an Annual Gold Card, whereas HS1 tickets can be discounted.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,579
Which ticket did you hold originally? Original, destination, and price paid, would be helpful :)
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,813
Location
UK
If you had a Swanscombe-London ticket (or vice versa) then the HS1 upgrade, costing £5.10 or £5.70 depending on what time you're travelling, would be correct to allow travel via HS1 and Gravesend.

Those prices are with a Railcard so I'm assuming you had one?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top