• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Confessions of Train Spotter 1980 - Michael Palin

Status
Not open for further replies.

acquiesce

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
23
Hello everyone,

Could someone help me out and tell me what the building is that Michael Palin passes on his way to Newcastle when he filmed his 1980 documentary Confessions of a Trainspotter. It's the building featured at 33.30 . It looks like he is approaching Durham, but I can't find this particular station building on any modern videos. Has it been taken down? It's driving me crazy.

Thanks

Rich





 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,927
I do believe that it's Acklington, and it's still there albeit somewhat better cared for and having some cosmetic differences.
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
I do believe that it's Acklington, and it's still there albeit somewhat better cared for and having some cosmetic differences.

I agree it's Acklington. As the train is approaching you can see the old wall and buffer stop at the end of the platform.

It looks like he is approaching Durham, but I can't find this particular station building on any modern videos.

Just like railway documentaries today there was little continuity back in 1980! :lol:
 

acquiesce

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
23
Oh wow!!! -- A massive shout out and huge thanks to "Lowlevel" and "Darandio" for putting this piece of the puzzle together for me.

I just looked and Acklington is 28 miles north of Newcastle, yet this segment has been added in when he was on the 125 from Darlington approaching Durham, way before Newcastle.o_O Clever editing but it's somewhat destroying the magic for me. Why would they have put the shot of Acklington just before Durham?

Am assuming at Battersby Junction 30.50 he stays on the ESK valley line to Middlesborough and then from Middlesborough goes to Darlington and from Darlington to Newcastle? I say this because in his diaries he says "Get on board the 125 from Darlington to Tyneside". Unless at Battersby Junction he gets a taxi to Darlington because no further footage is shown of this segment. Haha.

I think there was another thread about this documentary and it was pointed out that the Edinburgh festival footage was added in as extra material because you don't see him there and that takes place in September, not May.

Good grief.

I thought his dairies would have gone into more about this trip. There are lots of missing entries on days when this journey was filmed which makes me realise it was edited very cleverly and additions were added afterwards. I had my suspicions after reading his diaries.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top