• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conductor missed a few people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Poole

Member
Joined
21 Apr 2010
Messages
549
Location
Brereton, Rugeley, Staffordshire
Yesterday i travelled from Rugeley Town to Stafford, boarded the 1131 to Rugeley Trent Valley which is run by an Class 150 on weekends, there was me and two other people, we got on in the back coach of the DMU, sat down, the ticket conductor came up and i asked for an single to Stafford, he gave me an ticket and i handed him the money (£2.45 single from Rugeley Town to Stafford) after he finished serving me a ticket, and didn't noticed the other two people who got on!

When the train got to Rugeley Trent Valley, everyone got off and i saw them going over the footbridge, not sure if they went to get an tickey from Rugeley Trent Valley to Stafford or not, but when the 1143 came in to Crewe, boarded it and sat down and the two people were on the train again, no conductor came up to check tickets so they ether had ticket from Rugeley TV to Stafford or got an free ride!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ferret

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2009
Messages
4,131
Yesterday i travelled from Rugeley Town to Stafford, boarded the 1131 to Rugeley Trent Valley which is run by an Class 150 on weekends, there was me and two other people, we got on in the back coach of the DMU, sat down, the ticket conductor came up and i asked for an single to Stafford, he gave me an ticket and i handed him the money (£2.45 single from Rugeley Town to Stafford) after he finished serving me a ticket, and didn't noticed the other two people who got on!

When the train got to Rugeley Trent Valley, everyone got off and i saw them going over the footbridge, not sure if they went to get an tickey from Rugeley Trent Valley to Stafford or not, but when the 1143 came in to Crewe, boarded it and sat down and the two people were on the train again, no conductor came up to check tickets so they ether had ticket from Rugeley TV to Stafford or got an free ride!

Nowt unusual about Guards not being able to get everyone! If you go fishing, do you ever catch them all? From a Guard's point of view, I have to take the attitude that I'll get what fares I can in the time available and if I can't get through to everyone then so be it!
 

Simon Poole

Member
Joined
21 Apr 2010
Messages
549
Location
Brereton, Rugeley, Staffordshire
Nowt unusual about Guards not being able to get everyone! If you go fishing, do you ever catch them all? From a Guard's point of view, I have to take the attitude that I'll get what fares I can in the time available and if I can't get through to everyone then so be it!

sorry it wasn't THE guard, the guard was sitting in the back of the train, it was someone else which i don't know their job title but they sit in a seat and when people get on, they get up and walk up to the people.
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
sorry it wasn't THE guard, the guard was sitting in the back of the train, it was someone else which i don't know their job title but they sit in a seat and when people get on, they get up and walk up to the people.

RPI, Ticket Examiner, Travelling Ticket Inspector, whatever you want to call them this week.
 

37401

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
3,276
Location
Birmingham
What's a tickey?

People love posting things on here about rail staff don't they? Jerkey drivers and Guards not doing what the OP wants
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
What's a tickey?

People love posting things on here about rail staff don't they? Jerkey drivers and Guards not doing what the OP wants
We've had enough of this here the last few days. If you aren't posting to provide help or confirm something, participate in a debate or ask a question to the OP so you can clarify what happened to them, then please don't post in this section.
 

Simon Poole

Member
Joined
21 Apr 2010
Messages
549
Location
Brereton, Rugeley, Staffordshire
What's a tickey?

People love posting things on here about rail staff don't they? Jerkey drivers and Guards not doing what the OP wants

tickey? sorry typing error! it should be ticket and also sorry for posting this in this section, i was going to post it in General Discussion but i thought it would had moved to here, so that's why i posted it here...sorry:oops::oops::oops:
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
You could tip the guard off?

I did this once when we did a cycle ride from somewhere like Penistone, I think. I was on a train from 'uddersfield and some kid was near us, with his bike, and I showed several tickets for a group of us, and the guard probably assumed he was with us as we all had bikes in that area.

Anyway I didn't make it obvious but said I was going to the toilet and mentioned to the guard that he wasn't with us, in case he thought he was, the guard then checked him at the next stop. The guard was friendly and was grateful for this. I realise that may not always be possible, but worth bearing in mind.

You also do not know these people got a free ride (I realise you do acknowledge this possibility). They may have bought online, and/or be on their return journey and what's the point in them going up to an RPI saying "you didn't check me?" if so? As I said before, someone was saying to their mates that a friend of mine got a free ride on WSMR because the guard didn't get to him before Wolves. Yet he had an Advance ticket and simply didn't get to show it to the guard.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I always let the guard know of people who look like fare evaders whenever possible.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I always let the guard know of people who look like fare evaders whenever possible.

What do fare evaders look like? Sometimes, the guard walks straight past me even though I am holding out my season ticket (in a ticket wallet). Do I look like a fare dodger because I am in a leather jacket?
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
It's possible that these passengers had already travelled on the service in the opposite direction, to which that member of staff had already sold them tickets
I've had that a few times and either I have not asked the passenger for their ticket, or the member of ticket inspection staff has simply nodded at me not even looking at my ticket
 

lm321412

Member
Joined
29 Apr 2010
Messages
537
Location
Birmingham
At the end of the day, Conductors are not robots they cannot remember everybody and i'm sure its not deliberate if they forget people!
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
OK, but do you think these people were fare evaders? if so why?

Yeah, only the ones that rush straight for the toilets, or always head into the next carriage when the Guard appears. I don't go 'he's a fare evader, he's a fare evader!!!' I just say 'you know there's a bloke went ............ when you showed up'
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What do fare evaders look like? Sometimes, the guard walks straight past me even though I am holding out my season ticket (in a ticket wallet). Do I look like a fare dodger because I am in a leather jacket?

See above ^^^^^^^^^^ Just more the ones who look a bit suspect
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Has happened to me on occasion I sit down in the middle of the carriage and the guard (for example) goes right through the carriage by-passing me.

With a few hundred people on a train I am always surprised at how well they can remember whose tickets they haven’t checked and whose ticket they have.
 

First class

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
2,731
Didnt/doesn't FCC have a number you can text to tell them of people travelling without tickets/fraud etc?!
 

Bittern

Established Member
Joined
8 Apr 2009
Messages
1,919
Location
Scotland
I once had a guard on a Motherwell - Cumbernauld service who walked past me and said "Thanks".

I didn't even have my ticket out yet...
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Didnt/doesn't FCC have a number you can text to tell them of people travelling without tickets/fraud etc?!

On NXEA you text 'Dogder' to a number, never used it but I assume you do it, and they contact you back asking for the train etc.
 
Last edited:

Broken Viking

On Moderation
Joined
23 Oct 2006
Messages
1,666
Location
some place west of France
I always let the guard know of people who look like fare evaders whenever possible.
OK, but do you think these people were fare evaders? if so why?
That's another good point raised again; Just because a passenger looks like a "Fare evader", doesn't mean that (s)he is one! :!:

I can still remember a journey that I took on a VWC service a few years ago. I'd bought a Weekend 1st upgrade for my journey, and happened to be dressed in full-length Bracers, spiked gauntlets, Bal-Sagoth shirt, black jeans and bovver boots...Which caused quite an unsettled stir amongst several "suits" elsewhere in the carriage! :D
Of course, the Guard comes along and many of these passengers speak to him as he passes, clearly asking him to inform me that I was sat in the "wrong" part of the train. Ye should've seen their faces after he checked my tickets, noted that I held a valid weekend 1st, and went back down to inform them that I did indeed have just as much right to be in that carriage as they did! :lol:<D

Gods...I love scaring the crap out of stereotypical "First Class Executives"... <D

Has happened to me on occasion I sit down in the middle of the carriage and the guard (for example) goes right through the carriage by-passing me.
There's a couple of SWT Guards who always pass me by nowadays. I don't know if that's because they recognise me now (I'm easy to remember, and I always hold a valid ticket) or they can see from afar that I've got my ticket and railcard out ready for presentation, though. :)

NXEA you text 'dogder' to a text number, never used it but I assume you do it, and they contact you back asking for the train etc.
I dare say that if they have access to SMS routing data and pylon info, they could determine which train ye are on by comparing the mast ID from which the original message was received, along with the mast ID from which the SMS delivery confirmation of their reply was received. 8-)

In plain English: If they received a "Dodger" SMS from Mast_1234 (At, say, 234m 56c), they'd send a reply by SMS to say that the report was noted, to which would be attached a request for confirmation of receipt. If the reporters 'phone passed that message receipt back to the network via Mast_1239 (236m 10ch), EC would be able to tell that the train in question was a Northbounde service somewhere between 234 and 236 miles away from London.
A quick look at the standard timetable or a TOPS panel would show exactly which train was involved. Even if one service passes another at the time, the train can be identified by looking at the speed at which the sender travelled between the two masts. 8-)

Of course, EC trains could also have been fitted with a simple "eavesdropper" circuit which would alert the Guard to anyone sending a "Dodger" SMS, telling him which carriage the message had originated from. :p

Addendum: If anyone's interested, the EC reporting number is 60006, found - Ironically enough - Through This interesting weblog article. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,748
Location
Yorkshire
Of course, EC trains could also have been fitted with a simple "eavesdropper" circuit which would alert the Guard to anyone sending a "Dodger" SMS, telling him which carriage the message had originated from. :p

Addendum: If anyone's interested, the EC reporting number is 60006, found - Ironically enough - Through This interesting weblog article. :)

Looks to be NXEA from that article - I've never seen anything like this on EC.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,925
Location
UK
I dare say that if they have access to SMS routing data and pylon info, they could determine which train ye are on by comparing the mast ID from which the original message was received, along with the mast ID from which the SMS delivery confirmation of their reply was received. 8-)

Yeah that could work, or it might just get sent to a mobile lying around in an office somewhere and not picked up for a day or two. :D
 

PR1Berske

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2010
Messages
3,025
I've experienced guards/inspectors walking right past me while I'm reaching into my pocket to get out either my ticket or the money to pay for one....
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,748
Location
Yorkshire
I've experienced guards/inspectors walking right past me while I'm reaching into my pocket to get out either my ticket or the money to pay for one....

You must look very honest. Or as if you're reaching for a weapon...:p
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
I've experienced guards/inspectors walking right past me while I'm reaching into my pocket to get out either my ticket or the money to pay for one....

Had the same on a number of occasions. Not that it bothers me, if I'm in dire need of a ticket, I'll go find him/her.

wintonian, I too find it shocking how some TMs manage to remember so many different people on their trains. Who they've checked, who they haven't, who got on at the most recent train and so on. A lot of faces to remember on busier trains!

As for the scenario in the opening post, they could simply have been travelling on a West Midlands Day Ranger or something, so no need to worry about telling the guard he missed them. Unless they were on an expired/yet-to-become-valid ticket or some such that is ;)

I do wonder if anyone has actually used that scheme on NXEA to alert them to suspected fare dodging. I know I never have, but then I rarely travel on NXEA services to be fair.
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
At the end of the day, Conductors are not robots they cannot remember everybody and i'm sure its not deliberate if they forget people!

Ticket Inspecting is 70% observation, 30% relying on others' honesty.
 

Broken Viking

On Moderation
Joined
23 Oct 2006
Messages
1,666
Location
some place west of France
Looks to be NXEA from that article - I've never seen anything like this on EC.
Aye, I got my TOCs mixed up (Again) - Probably because National Excess used to run the "fast" ECML trains, too. :oops::lol:

wintonian, I too find it shocking how some TMs manage to remember so many different people on their trains. Who they've checked, who they haven't, who got on at the most recent train and so on. A lot of faces to remember on busier trains!
I suppose they might just memorise which seats are/aren't occupied as they've passed through the carriage, and go for the ones that have just been occupied as of the previous station, or have a visibly different passenger sat in a previously occupied seat. :)

On the other hand, the ability to memorise large numbers of "checked" passengers might be one of the things that TOCs look for in prospective applicants for the job, or it could be a "learnable" skill that's included as part of the standard training course.
Can any Guards confirm which of the two (If either) applies? 8-)
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
Well, they didn't actively ask me if I could do those things, but some of the very strange aptitude tests they put you through may help them recognise those kind of abilities, who knows?

I am a little bit in agreement with 37401 on the running down traincrew threads, which seem to be on the increase. No doubt plenty of people drove uninsured, or un-taxed, or un-MOT'd cars, maybe whilst doing drugs, or maybe drinking, or maybe speeding, and doubtless a lot would have got away unpunished. Should I start complaining about the traffic division now, threatening to withhold my council tax and road fund license too? Nobody's perfect, and I regularly encounter people doing things wrong at 'their work', my recent dealings with local council housing departments has shown a complete inability to manage something as simple as getting dates correct - Twice!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top