The response you received from RDG merely confirms that the law is.. a law (statute law).It can, for ScotRail anyway, be another location not covered by your ticket. We allow you to use a different line during disruption without penalty. Not always geographically possible in some areas but it can be useful.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
See the document attached. Also, I queried RDG on the matter - sending my research in the document to them:
Hello Gary
Thanks for your email addressed to our CEO Jacqueline Starr, about split ticketing. I have been asked to respond on Jacqueline’s behalf.
Firstly, I would like to thank you for contacting the Rail Delivery Group. I was sorry to learn about the absence of a response, and I understand that the situation with split ticketing and passenger rights is not entirely satisfactory.
I would like to advise you that the Fares, Retail and Ticketing sector is undergoing a transformation with the aim of simplifying the customer experience, and this will eventually be passed on to GBR (Great British Railways) to modernise working practices, make tickets simpler and fairer, in order to deliver a better service to passengers.
At the moment, the PRO (Passenger Rights Obligations) law is just that, it is a law and if customers do not consider that a Train Operating Company or an agent has acted correctly then this can be taken up to court.
I trust this information clarifies the situation.
Thanks again for contacting us, and I hope you have a nice day.
Kind regards
Noyonika Misquitta
Customer Relations Team
info@raildeliverygroup.com
They know it is "not satisfactory" but they are limiting their liabilities and making cost savings (on paper, at least) by closing Ticket Offices. The issue is that once the money men have total control - who is left to protect the Passenger?
It doesn't in any way suggest that it overrides the contract (contract law) the passenger has in the NRCoT.
The statute law in this case gives rights to say X.
The contract law says the passenger has rights to say Y.
That Y > X doesn't mean that merely X applies, otherwise no employee in the UK would be entitled to anything more than statutory annual leave (in statute law), despite what their contract (in contract law) says.