• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Compensation for cancelled train

Status
Not open for further replies.

poffle

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2023
Messages
239
Location
Dublin, Ireland
Booked a ticket earlier today to travel on Stansted Express into London this evening.

Arrived in Stansted and went to train station where staff were telling everyone that there no trains running because of an electrical fault. They advised everyone to go and get on a coach to London. ( I think there is a widespread signalling problem according to network rail.affecting trains out of Liverpool Street)

I'm on a coach and I know I'm entitled to a refund of the rail ticket but because I've had to buy a last minute via h to let it costs more than the anytime single I had bought. And takes longer.

I bought the rail ticket as an eticket on the Avanti app but the train operator is Greater Anglia.

Can I claim for at least the cost of the coach and just get the cost of the rail ticket ? Who and how do I claim off ? I think a refund if the ticket is straightforward but claiming the coach fare may be more complex.

Asking before I go down a wrong path.

Thanks in advance
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,847
Can I claim for at least the cost of the coach and just get the cost of the rail ticket ? Who and how do I claim off ?
You can get a refund of the rail ticket, or you can claim from Greater Anglia for the coach fare and any delay incurred, but you can't have both. A refund of the rail ticket would have to be claimed from the original retailer of that ticket (Avanti).
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,157
It's not exactly clear to me what happened.

You purchased a ticket from Avanti
You intended to use this ticket to travel on the Stansted Express from Stansted to London
The train was cancelled
You took a coach

Was it a rail replacement coach? Or a normal scheduled coach? Did you buy a new ticket to travel on the coach?
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,660
Location
Merseyside
Do not refund the ticket. You will forego all your rights.

You were instructed by rail staff to get a coach. The rail company therefore need to reimburse you for this. Additionally you are entitled compensation for the delay under the delay repay scheme.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top