• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Commuting from Epsom/Ewell vs Croydon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agy85

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2020
Messages
5
Location
London
I'm sorry it's another commuting question: we are looking to buy our first family home and we've never lived outside of London. When considering Sutton, Purley or Coulsdon South the trains seem to get you to London Bridge in as little as 20min but the stations look crowded and I'm guessing trains are packed. Is it the same for Epsom/Ewell trains?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
I commuted from Epsom for a while with SWT (as it was then). In the peaks some trains start from there so I tended to get a seat. A lot of people change at Vauxhall for the Victoria line. If you do this you’re less likely to get a seat on the way back as the trains obviously arrive at Vauxhall with passengers from Waterloo. It’s around 45 minutes into London from Epsom.

Southern services also start from Epsom but take an age to get to London Bridge IIRC (at least as long as the 45 mins quoted above). Depending on your ultimate destination you might find SWR - Vauxhall - Victoria line is the quicker option.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,035
Location
Gloucester
Thameslink services start from Sutton, so you should get first choice of seats. The only issue is that they don't go direct to London Bridge, so you would have to go Blackfriars and then go one stop back to London Bridge.

There are a few extra Southern services that appear to start at Sutton but they take almost an hour to get into the capital.

I'm not familiar with Epsom and Ewell. I know there's a morning service that starts from Effingham Junction into Waterloo, and then you could go from Waterloo East to London Bridge?
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
I'm not familiar with Epsom and Ewell. I know there's a morning service that starts from Effingham Junction into Waterloo, and then you could go from Waterloo East to London Bridge?

As it happens I did that journey for a while, too. There are plenty of virtually empty contra-peak trains from Waterloo East to London Bridge in the morning, and the reverse in the evening peak.

Much more pleasant than taking the tube!
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,035
Location
Gloucester
As it happens I did that journey for a while, too. There are plenty of virtually empty contra-peak trains from Waterloo East to London Bridge in the morning, and the reverse in the evening peak.

Much more pleasant than taking the tube!

It's what I've always done in the past!

It's a close call. I really enjoy travelling on SWR and Thameslink to be fair.
 

London Trains

Established Member
Joined
9 Oct 2017
Messages
1,227
Southern services also start from Epsom but take an age to get to London Bridge IIRC (at least as long as the 45 mins quoted above). Depending on your ultimate destination you might find SWR - Vauxhall - Victoria line is the quicker option.

If the OP's final destination is near London Bridge, across London Bridge (the bridge not the station), in the City or eastwards on the Jubilee line towards Canary Wharf, the Southern services to London Bridge are the best option.

They take 45 minutes, no more and are more reliable than SWR (never thought I would say that but the tables have very much turned in the last 2 years :lol:). They are run with 377s, all types of which are much more comfortable than the SWR 455/456s.
 

Agy85

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2020
Messages
5
Location
London
Guys, this is really helpful! The Waterloo East to London Bridge - awesome tip! Our final destination is Queen Victoria St and sometimes Canary Wharf so London Blackfriars/Cannon St are the best options, but London Bridge is good too and Waterloo ok. It looks like Sutton and Epsom are our best options!
 
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
972
The slower trains (Purley Oaks and South Croydon as opposed to East Croydon only) should have seats available from Purley. They are only about 5 mins slower. I think there are also Purley stoppers in Thameslink so Blackfriars for Qu Victoria St is also an option. As a Purley Oaks man in normal times don’t know how full they are.

Riddlesdown is not too far from Purley and has Victoria and Thameslink options. I sometimes have to use the Victoria trains from Sanderstead: a.m. rush hour there can be a bit dicey but Riddlesdown may be better. Houses are bigger there, and so more expensive despite the less good train service, when compared to Purley.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top