• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Commercial guard salary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cazlas10

Member
Joined
17 May 2018
Messages
11
Can anybody clarify what the salary is for a commercial guard after training and how long it takes to reach the top salary?

I'm currently applying and I've passed the assessment centre and just waiting for an interview.

When I first applied a couple of months ago, the advert I saw said that the salary is £36k. However, I've gone back onto the website again today to get details of the role profile to help with my interview. The same vacancy is still there but it says the salary now is £31,544 plus regional allowances. Is it these regional allowances that takes the salary to around £36k? I'm hoping so as it would concern me if they have lowered the salary by 5k in the last 2 months!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sw1ller

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2013
Messages
1,567
Depends on what company you’re going for. They all have different t&cs. But there’s no way in hell any of them have lowered the salary. So I would assume you’re correct in your assumption.
 

PudseyBearHST

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2015
Messages
1,122
Location
South West
Depends on what company you’re going for. They all have different t&cs. But there’s no way in hell any of them have lowered the salary. So I would assume you’re correct in your assumption.

Which other companies apart from SWR have Commercial Guards?
 

cazlas10

Member
Joined
17 May 2018
Messages
11
Depends on what company you’re going for. They all have different t&cs. But there’s no way in hell any of them have lowered the salary. So I would assume you’re correct in your assumption.

It is SWR
 

theironroad

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
3,717
The Basingstoke advert currently showing is:

Remuneration

£21,141 per annum during training rising to £38,248 per annum after qualifying plus associated regional allowances.

There's a few swr commercial/guards on here who will know better, but I think it's around 4-6 months before fully productive and on full rate. I think the Basingstoke regional allowance is around £650 pa
 

cazlas10

Member
Joined
17 May 2018
Messages
11
The Basingstoke advert currently showing is:

Remuneration

£21,141 per annum during training rising to £38,248 per annum after qualifying plus associated regional allowances.

There's a few swr commercial/guards on here who will know better, but I think it's around 4-6 months before fully productive and on full rate. I think the Basingstoke regional allowance is around £650 pa

The post I've applied for is Farnham and the salary for Farnham is showing as £31,544. It seems strange that the Basingstoke post would be 7k more than the Farnham one. Could this be a typo or is it something to do with the shifts? Maybe the Basingstoke depot has more unsociable hours so the salary is more? I'm fairly certain that when I first applied, the salary was around 36k. I wouldn't have gone for it otherwise so I can only assume it's a typo error.
 
Last edited:

theironroad

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
3,717
Base salary is the same for all commercial guards across the company. Non-commercial guards are on less but Basingstoke and Farnham only have commercial guards .

I'm 99.99% sure the regional allowance is the same for Basingstoke and Farnham.

You may find that the commercial guards pay deal was agreed since you first applied. Although it was due on Oct 1 , it was only concluded recently and I think they only received back pay last month. Until the pay deal is agreed, any advert will be showing the old pay, however i think they got 3.9% so more likely a typo.
 
Joined
1 Mar 2018
Messages
998
Apologies for what might seem a silly question, but what is the difference (if there is one) between a commercial and non commercial guard?
 

theironroad

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
3,717
Apologies for what might seem a silly question, but what is the difference (if there is one) between a commercial and non commercial guard?

Commercial guards check and sell tickets, so have to attend a commercial guards course to delve into the depths of tickets, validity and all that jazz. Non commercial guards don't touch tickets, just carry out operational roles on board.
 
Joined
1 Mar 2018
Messages
998
Commercial guards check and sell tickets, so have to attend a commercial guards course to delve into the depths of tickets, validity and all that jazz. Non commercial guards don't touch tickets, just carry out operational roles on board.
Ah I see... thanks muchly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top