• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,106
Location
At home or at the pub
The, Messages have been posted since you loaded this page, message, i find it extremely distracting & off putting & really annoying when i'm trying to type out & post something, i do think forum members should be given the choice to turn this annoying feature off or leave it on.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,177
Location
Elginshire
The, Messages have been posted since you loaded this page, message, i find it extremely distracting & off putting & really annoying when i'm trying to type out & post something, i do think forum members should be given the choice to turn this annoying feature off or leave it on.
You don't have to respond to it. I find that it can be useful if someone has added something to the discussion while I'm composing a reply. It saves having to add another post and avoids the "automerge" notification.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,499
Location
Birmingham
You don't have to respond to it. I find that it can be useful if someone has added something to the discussion while I'm composing a reply. It saves having to add another post and avoids the "automerge" notification.
Agree, I find it very handy too for the same reason. There have been numerous occasions where someone gives the virtually the same response I was in the process of typing, rendering mine pointless.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Agree, I find it very handy too for the same reason. There have been numerous occasions where someone gives the virtually the same response I was in the process of typing, rendering mine pointless.

Most of mine are pointless anyway, but it does mean that I can justify not bothering.
 

Peter C

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
4,739
Location
GWR land
Seeing this post:
I haven't noticed any comment before but I dislike the adverts (TV and radio) where they've edited out the natural pauses at the end of sentences so they can get as much into their allotted slot as possible. To me it puts me right off the product. Not only is it unnatural but counter-productive because, just as speakers need to pause for a breath at the end of a sentence, the listeners need a few moments to absorb what's just been said.
in the 'Annoying television adverts' thread has reminded me of something I'd ban: namely, YouTubers, or any other kind of 'content creators' (I don't know why, but I just really don't like that term) who seemingly cannot say more than a few words without having to make an edit and cut in a video. I was watching one YouTube channel the other day where there was an edit every word or two in what a chap was saying - it got to the point where it really stuck out and made watching the video difficult. It was an otherwise very good channel and video, so I'm wondering why the chap couldn't have learned his lines...! But there we go. :lol:

-Peter
 

Discuss223

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2024
Messages
375
Location
Rowsley
People who lick their fingers before turning the pages of a book.

People who queue at the manned till in Tesco only to pay with card, whilst the rest of us are kept waiting to pay with cash and there are several empty Card Only tills in place.

People who say "plain" crisps instead of salted.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,177
Location
Elginshire
People who lick their fingers before turning the pages of a book.
It depends whose book it is. If it's a library book, then it's probably not wise to pass on one's germs by licking one's finger before turning the pages. If it's my book and I'm the only person likely to read it, so what? :)

People who queue at the manned till in Tesco only to pay with card, whilst the rest of us are kept waiting to pay with cash and there are several empty Card Only tills in place.
I prefer using staffed checkouts in supermarkets if they're available and especially if I have a full trolley. I don't agree that they should be reserved for cash-only customers, though. It really doesn't take any longer to process a card. Some of the self-service checkouts still do accept cash, too.
(Note that there are separate threads about supermarkets, use of cash etc. - please use the appropriate thread to respond)

People who say "plain" crisps instead of salted.
"Plain" crisps are just that - potatoes, the fat that is used to cook them in, and salt; that's about as "plain" as you can get. I'm 50 now and, for as long as I can remember, nobody has ever misunderstood a request for a packet of plain crisps.

Anyhow, most normal people will ask for a packet of "ready salted" rather than just "salted".
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,889
People who queue at the manned till in Tesco only to pay with card, whilst the rest of us are kept waiting to pay with cash and there are several empty Card Only tills in place.
You have the choice to use a card too. It’s just your choice not to.
 

aftv

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2021
Messages
158
Location
Southern Region.
Sky engineers (other Broadband companies are available) who claim they'll be at my flat between 1300 and 1800 only for them to fail to show up.
 

DannyMich2018

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2018
Messages
944
One thing which really bugs me, just happened a few mins ago, the postman went by and put some flyers/junk through my door, I thought Postmen were only meant to deliver addressed mail?!
 

KT550

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2020
Messages
935
Location
Surrey
One thing which really bugs me, just happened a few mins ago, the postman went by and put some flyers/junk through my door, I thought Postmen were only meant to deliver addressed mail?!
Royal Mail have been delivering adverts and junk for a few years now.
They will also deliver that when there is no stamped mail to deliver to your address, so no wonder deliveries take a long time.

It is possible to opt out of this "service".
See https://personal.help.royalmail.com...leaflets-or-unaddressed-promotional-material?
 

DannyMich2018

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2018
Messages
944
Nothing new, they've been doing that for years.
Yes does also seem to be more now too.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Royal Mail have been delivering adverts and junk for a few years now.
They will also deliver that when there is no stamped mail to deliver to your address, so no wonder deliveries take a long time.

It is possible to opt out of this "service".
See https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/293/~/how-do-i-opt-out-of-receiving-any-leaflets-or-unaddressed-promotional-material?
Thanks. Might do that. We also get them for Farmfoods which closed in Hinckley many years ago, obviously wanting people to use the Nuneaton store. All go in recycling bin.
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,444
People who coil up electrical cables so they form knots when you try an uncoil them.

If you want them to be tidy, loop them properly
or just leave them uncoiled. Coiling them badly makes the tangles worse.
 

bearhugger

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2015
Messages
689
Location
Middlesbrough
One thing which really bugs me, just happened a few mins ago, the postman went by and put some flyers/junk through my door, I thought Postmen were only meant to deliver addressed mail?!
It's called "Door to Door". They (Royal Mail) get paid extra to deliver it. Posties tend to do a few different roads each day, otherwise they would be out after tea time.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
People who press the ‘Yes’ button for a receipt on a supermarket self-service till, but then walk away and leave the receipt without even looking at it. Why?
 

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,728
People who press the ‘Yes’ button for a receipt on a supermarket self-service till, but then walk away and leave the receipt without even looking at it. Why?
On a similar note the automated voice at Morrisons self service tills that repeatedly says "please take your items" if you don't bag them up within five seconds. I like to take as long as possible just to irritate her.....
 

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
On a similar note the automated voice at Morrisons self service tills that repeatedly says "please take your items" if you don't bag them up within five seconds. I like to take as long as possible just to irritate her.....
That's a good one. I've seen people confused by this, as the voice they heard was not coming from their self service but one next to it. Why does it need to be there?
 

OhNoAPacer

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2013
Messages
726
Location
Egremont Cumbria / Northampton
You enter a cafe/restaurant/food serving pub.
You see steak pie on the menu, you order it.
When your plate arrives your pie is a ceramic dish containing the steak and gravy with a pastry lid.
This is not a pie, a pie is made of pastry not ceramic.
 

simonw

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2009
Messages
1,410
You enter a cafe/restaurant/food serving pub.
You see steak pie on the menu, you order it.
When your plate arrives your pie is a ceramic dish containing the steak and gravy with a pastry lid.
This is not a pie, a pie is made of pastry not ceramic.
from wiki: Pies are defined by their crusts. A filled pie (also single-crust or bottom-crust), has pastry lining the baking dish, and the filling is placed on top of the pastry but left open. A top-crust pie has the filling in the bottom of the dish and is covered with a pastry or other covering before baking. A two-crust pie has the filling completely enclosed in the pastry shell. Shortcrust pastry is a typical kind of pastry used for pie crusts, but many things can be used, including baking powder biscuits, mashed potatoes, and crumbs.

So you need to ensure you order a two crust pie in future.
 

OhNoAPacer

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2013
Messages
726
Location
Egremont Cumbria / Northampton
from wiki: Pies are defined by their crusts. A filled pie (also single-crust or bottom-crust), has pastry lining the baking dish, and the filling is placed on top of the pastry but left open. A top-crust pie has the filling in the bottom of the dish and is covered with a pastry or other covering before baking. A two-crust pie has the filling completely enclosed in the pastry shell. Shortcrust pastry is a typical kind of pastry used for pie crusts, but many things can be used, including baking powder biscuits, mashed potatoes, and crumbs.

So you need to ensure you order a two crust pie in future.
I can just imagine the look on the face of the person taking my order as I ask for a double crust pie :lol:
Truth is they make the 'pies' in a dish as it is cheaper, so as in most things an accountant is to blame!
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
I can just imagine the look on the face of the person taking my order as I ask for a double crust pie :lol:
Truth is they make the 'pies' in a dish as it is cheaper, so as in most things an accountant is to blame!

You’ll probably get a ‘pie’ with a second crust dumped on top.
 

Top