• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,499
Location
Birmingham
The annual routine of the media making a big deal about the John Lewis Christmas advert, currently considered important enough to warrant a place on the front page of the BBC News website.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,063
Location
St Albans
The annual routine of the media making a big deal about the John Lewis Christmas advert, currently considered important enough to warrant a place on the front page of the BBC News website.
Doesn't bother me. I will be getting a look at the ad this evening.
 

Trackman

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
4,313
Location
Lewisham
The annual routine of the media making a big deal about the John Lewis Christmas advert, currently considered important enough to warrant a place on the front page of the BBC News website.
Is this the only advert they put out a year?
 

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,107
Location
At home or at the pub
Too right - my laptop took 50 mins to update this week!
You should be able to turn automatic windows update off, & be able to install them manually, i can & do have auto windows update turned off on my HP laptop, so i chose when to install the updates.

Normally involves going into the Laptop or PC settings, & clicking on updates & security.
 

bleeder4

Member
Joined
19 Jan 2019
Messages
792
Location
Worcester
The annual routine of the media making a big deal about the John Lewis Christmas advert, currently considered important enough to warrant a place on the front page of the BBC News website.
That time of year when poor old Mr John Lewis, a software engineer over in America, gets bombarded with Twitter messages all talking about the Christmas ad. I always love reading his witty responses to them every year.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,134
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Train cleaners who fill the toilet paper dispensers with so much paper that the weight makes it impossible to get hold of single sheets of paper when the dispenser is full, without tearing them to shreds, thus rendering them totally unusable....or you have to pull so hard that eventually about twenty sheets coming flying out all over the toilet compartment floor!

The toilets on Mark 4 stock are particularly prone to this problem.... although they're not the only ones.

What a b*mm*t! :'(
 

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
I’ve hesitated about posting this, as it involves a very sad bit of news, but it explains my thoughts.

Sensationalised media headlines
This involves the very sad death of Simone White who died in a suspected alcohol related poisoning in Laos, along with the death of five other tourists.

The BBC news website has the headline “Parents ‘devastated’ over daughter’s suspected poisoning death”

I really don’t understand why they need to word a news article this way. Surely it goes without saying that the family will be devastated. Would it be any other way?
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
I’ve hesitated about posting this, as it involves a very sad bit of news, but it explains my thoughts.

Sensationalised media headlines
This involves the very sad death of Simone White who died in a suspected alcohol related poisoning in Laos, along with the death of five other tourists.

The BBC news website has the headline “Parents ‘devastated’ over daughter’s suspected poisoning death”

I really don’t understand why they need to word a news article this way. Surely it goes without saying that the family will be devastated. Would it be any other way?

I agree that the BBC has got it wrong here, but how are the other main outlets covering it? Some of them are probably looking at headlines that will be full of pseudo-sympathy WITH PICTURES, while also bashing the BBC for heartlessness.
 

OhNoAPacer

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2013
Messages
726
Location
Egremont Cumbria / Northampton
Tablet is running low on storage. No problem you think and put an SD card in. This is when you discover that the coders of many of the Apps have not allowed them to be moved to external memory.
I can understand some Apps needing to be in internal memory but not when all it is is an object matching game.
 

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
Monday night is quiz night on BBC for me & the wife. First Mastermind, then Only Connect, then University Challenge.
Don’t really know why we watch them. Feel as thick as bricks afterwards.

Only Connect is the worst one. We usually don’t even understand the questions.

Note: I do actually think Mastermind has dumbed down the General Knowledge questions a little over the years.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,134
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Monday night is quiz night on BBC for me & the wife. First Mastermind, then Only Connect, then University Challenge.
Don’t really know why we watch them. Feel as thick as bricks afterwards.

Only Connect is the worst one. We usually don’t even understand the questions.

Note: I do actually think Mastermind has dumbed down the General Knowledge questions a little over the years.
Monday night is also quiz night at my local pub....an event which I avoid like the plague. With a few honourable exceptions, the majority of participants are never seen at other times. They are 'professional' pub quislings who turn up 19 00 and 19 30 every Monday to claim 'their' tables which have been reserved from 20 00 for the 20 30 start of the quiz and stare at the regulars who have the audacity to finish their drinks in a relaxed manner before beating a hasty retreat at 19 59. Many of them drive a considerable distance to the pub and therefore spend most of the evening nursing a soft drink or glass of mineral water. I'm told that they go to other pub quizzes in the area on different nights of the week and are fiercely competitive....frequently arguing ad nauseam with the quizmaster/mistress over half-a-point. There's a cash prize for the winning team don't you know!....the sum of all the £1 entry fees from the total number of competitors. The funniest thing about it is that there is a consolation prize of two bottles or cans of beer - which was originally awarded to the team which came last, until it became apparent that people were deliberately throwing the quiz - so now it's awarded to the team who come second last!
 

Jimini

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2006
Messages
2,176
Location
Reading
Monday night is also quiz night at my local pub....an event which I avoid like the plague. With a few honourable exceptions, the majority of participants are never seen at other times. They are 'professional' pub quislings who turn up 19 00 and 19 30 every Monday to claim 'their' tables which have been reserved from 20 00 for the 20 30 start of the quiz and stare at the regulars who have the audacity to finish their drinks in a relaxed manner before beating a hasty retreat at 19 59. Many of them drive a considerable distance to the pub and therefore spend most of the evening nursing a soft drink or glass of mineral water. I'm told that they go to other pub quizzes in the area on different nights of the week and are fiercely competitive....frequently arguing ad nauseam with the quizmaster/mistress over half-a-point. There's a cash prize for the winning team don't you know!....the sum of all the £1 entry fees from the total number of competitors. The funniest thing about it is that there is a consolation prize of two bottles or cans of beer - which was originally awarded to the team which came last, until it became apparent that people were deliberately throwing the quiz - so now it's awarded to the team who come second last!

Similar nonsense at my local's Sunday night quiz -- you can spot them a mile off when they arrive: they order next to nothing, crow at the quizmaster at every opportunity, and have a go at anyone already in the pub who have the audacity to try and hold a conversation once the quiz starts!

I remember when pub quizzes used to be fun..
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,738
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
My fuse has been glowing for about 3 years on this one - now the fuse is well alight -

Pointless and valueless drivel, from LinkedIn "influencers" or "founders". This gem today:

"Have you heard of Naked Running? It means: running with no audio book, no podcast, no music, no conversation."

Errrrr, in the million or so years that Homo Sapien and Homo Erectus have been running, it's managed perfectly fine being known as just ... RUNNING.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,499
Location
Birmingham
Temporary menu items

My wife and I are currently on our regular autumn healthy eating phase, between early September and christmas we abstain from alcohol and junk food, which of course includes takeaways.

A couple of months ago we spotted our local Dominos had introduced a new pizza topping which appealed, spicy Korean chicken (we've had Korean chicken on a burger before, it was delicious), which we were looking forward to trying towards the end of December. A new menu came through the door yesterday, it's been discontinued already.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,063
Location
St Albans
Temporary menu items

My wife and I are currently on our regular autumn healthy eating phase, between early September and christmas we abstain from alcohol and junk food, which of course includes takeaways.

A couple of months ago we spotted our local Dominos had introduced a new pizza topping which appealed, spicy Korean chicken (we've had Korean chicken on a burger before, it was delicious), which we were looking forward to trying towards the end of December. A new menu came through the door yesterday, it's been discontinued already.
Maybe not every customer has your affinity for it now they have had a chance to try it.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
The way that the media is now the story itself. All sorts of things are going on that may affect our future prosperity or health, but what is the main story…somebody who is quite well-known on an entertainment show has said some things that were inappropriate and done a few things that upset some people.
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,738
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
As a former retail worker...

Mariah Carey. Just... ban Mariah Carey and her music.

I swear to god, if I hear that song one more time...
I feel your pain.

On a similar vein: "tune-playing" Christmas lights with one or two notes  slightly out of tune (or flat note). It's amazing how annoying those get, hour after hour, day after day...
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,181
Location
Elginshire
As a former retail worker...

Mariah Carey. Just... ban Mariah Carey and her music.

I swear to god, if I hear that song one more time...
You don't want to go there...

I was told off on this very forum for complaining about piped music in shops and informed that if I didn't like it I wasn't cut out for such employment! :D
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,070
it's going into B&M and realising that paying for decent popular music is too expensive so they have their own music, now that is bad. If it was instrumental it would be more acceptable but it's not.
 

lachlan

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2019
Messages
1,171
On the other hand I prefer Morrisons to other supermarkets because they play music - I find the silence in other supermarkets rather soul destroying. I don't want to wear headphones because I shop with someone else.

It's a balancing act though - many places have the music turned up too loud!

Tablet is running low on storage. No problem you think and put an SD card in. This is when you discover that the coders of many of the Apps have not allowed them to be moved to external memory.
I can understand some Apps needing to be in internal memory but not when all it is is an object matching game.
Used to drive me nuts with an Android phone. Unfortunately I concluded the SD card is dead and have always made sure to get a phone with a large amount of internal storage. Nowadays I've given up on a lot of apps but I'll still get the bigger device as future proofing.
 

172007

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2021
Messages
1,171
Location
West Mids
I would extend the prohibition to any kind of recorded music in pubs and restaurants.
For me and I immagine a good many people find the sound of eating extremely off putting to the extent that I sometimes move tables; it very much like that nerve jangling people get from scratching chalk boards or touching cotton wool.

I also don't like my conversation overheard and music solves these two perfectly. It's not the music but the type and volume which is the issue I feel.
 

Tetragon213

Member
Joined
14 Oct 2024
Messages
703
Location
West Midlands
I would extend the prohibition to any kind of recorded music in pubs and restaurants.
I don't mind music, in fact if they put on a bit of variety in the Christmas music I would be quite happy. But when you hear "All I-ii-ii Want for Christmas, iii-iii-iii-iiisss, you-u-u" 20 times in a shift, it gets real old, real quick!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I feel your pain.

On a similar vein: "tune-playing" Christmas lights with one or two notes  slightly out of tune (or flat note). It's amazing how annoying those get, hour after hour, day after day...
The novelty Christmas toys were the worst partially for this reason. It got worse at time went on and the batteries died, as they'd more and more out of tune!
You don't want to go there...

I was told off on this very forum for complaining about piped music in shops and informed that if I didn't like it I wasn't cut out for such employment! :D
I'm just gonna say, I'm happy I don't work in retail anymore! Although seeing as I now work vaguely in a field related to rail, well, maybe out of the frying pan and into fire? :lol:
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,584
As a former retail worker...

Mariah Carey. Just... ban Mariah Carey and her music.

I swear to god, if I hear that song one more time...
With you on that! Someone asked me what my favourite Christmas song was, said I didn't know but knew which one I disliked the most!!!!! It's just plain awful, don't know who told her she was any good.
 

Purple Train

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2022
Messages
2,479
Location
Exile or exile
Christmas. Or, at least, the celebration of it far, far too early. I've already had enough of the Christmas decorations in the town centre and it's not even Advent yet. I think I ranted at length about this last year, or the year before! Logically, if you're going to put public Christmas decorations up in early November, they should at least still be up in early February, which is closer to Christmas, after all. However, no doubt it'll all get pulled down on the 27th of December and the Marketing Men will move on to Easter.
 

Top