• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,063
Location
St Albans
My wife and I have just watched a throwback to music of the 1980s.
We were in our teens; and our tastes at the time were wildly different (I was definitely not a "Top Of The Pops" viewer...). :D

I digress; what would I ban?  Bros
Other '80s music tastes are (were) available.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,063
Location
St Albans
My eyes are still recovering from the sight of so many poodle-perms... ;)
I lived through the '80s music through my children'taste, and of course it as the age of pop video so there is much to see now. It definitely took a downward trn after '86 when there was a period of looking for something new before Britpop arrived. For me, Queen's Magic album and tour was probably the high point.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
A thing which recently came my way -- surprising, and not in a good way -- trivial, but something which I would like the perpetrators (viz. Royal Mail) to be compelled to abolish. I'm among the minority of people who still make a fair amount of use of "snail-mail". Went to the post office the other day, to buy a small number of first- and second-class stamps. Was expecting the "bog-standard" kind: showing the monarch's head and, as has been normal for some years past, "peel-off-and-self-adhesive". What I unexpectedly got, were: "pictorial" stamps; and they were old-style perforated ones, separated by the clerk from a large sheet thereof: and they proved to be in the old-style "lick and stick" mode. And those which I received anyway, I found to be not very well-perforated -- maybe just my clumsiness; but for me, they separated with some difficulty, involving a bit of tearing: had to resort subsequently, to cutting with scissors along the perforation line (at least they seem, after licking, to stick satisfactorily).

These "pictorials" show clips from the TV comedy series Porridge, plus appropriate quotations therefrom, as wording -- seems to me personally, a ludicrous subject / theme to choose; but my quarrel is with the practicalities of the matter -- and, why go back now, to old-fashioned and less efficient postage-stamp procedures? Any sense or point to this, eludes me; thought prompted, on the theme of "the world nowadays, is getting madder all the time".
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
A thing which recently came my way -- surprising, and not in a good way -- trivial, but something which I would like the perpetrators (viz. Royal Mail) to be compelled to abolish. I'm among the minority of people who still make a fair amount of use of "snail-mail". Went to the post office the other day, to buy a small number of first- and second-class stamps. Was expecting the "bog-standard" kind: showing the monarch's head and, as has been normal for some years past, "peel-off-and-self-adhesive". What I unexpectedly got, were: "pictorial" stamps; and they were old-style perforated ones, separated by the clerk from a large sheet thereof: and they proved to be in the old-style "lick and stick" mode. And those which I received anyway, I found to be not very well-perforated -- maybe just my clumsiness; but for me, they separated with some difficulty, involving a bit of tearing: had to resort subsequently, to cutting with scissors along the perforation line (at least they seem, after licking, to stick satisfactorily).

These "pictorials" show clips from the TV comedy series Porridge, plus appropriate quotations therefrom, as wording -- seems to me personally, a ludicrous subject / theme to choose; but my quarrel is with the practicalities of the matter -- and, why go back now, to old-fashioned and less efficient postage-stamp procedures? Any sense or point to this, eludes me; thought prompted, on the theme of "the world nowadays, is getting madder all the time".

Probably the Post Office celebrating its pride in its sub-postmasters with something it feels that they deserve.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Probably the Post Office celebrating its pride in its sub-postmasters with something it feels that they deserve.
In the old days, prisoners' tasks were sewing mailbags and picking oakum; now, fabricating old-fashioned and wonky postage stamps?
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
In the old days, prisoners' tasks were sewing mailbags and picking oakum; now, fabricating old-fashioned and wonky postage stamps?

I was referring to the large numbers of sub-postmaters that the Post Office has pursued and attempted to have condemned to porridge for things they didn’t do.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
I was referring to the large numbers of sub-postmaters that the Post Office has pursued and attempted to have condemned to porridge for things they didn’t do.
Sorry -- yes, dimly realised that; but am a self-confessed "ostrich", ignoring -- for the sake of staying, in my definition, halfway sane -- current affairs, as much as I possibly can. I thus chose to take things in a facetious direction.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,043
A thing which recently came my way -- surprising, and not in a good way -- trivial, but something which I would like the perpetrators (viz. Royal Mail) to be compelled to abolish. I'm among the minority of people who still make a fair amount of use of "snail-mail". Went to the post office the other day, to buy a small number of first- and second-class stamps. Was expecting the "bog-standard" kind: showing the monarch's head and, as has been normal for some years past, "peel-off-and-self-adhesive". What I unexpectedly got, were: "pictorial" stamps; and they were old-style perforated ones, separated by the clerk from a large sheet thereof: and they proved to be in the old-style "lick and stick" mode. And those which I received anyway, I found to be not very well-perforated -- maybe just my clumsiness; but for me, they separated with some difficulty, involving a bit of tearing: had to resort subsequently, to cutting with scissors along the perforation line (at least they seem, after licking, to stick satisfactorily).

These "pictorials" show clips from the TV comedy series Porridge, plus appropriate quotations therefrom, as wording -- seems to me personally, a ludicrous subject / theme to choose; but my quarrel is with the practicalities of the matter -- and, why go back now, to old-fashioned and less efficient postage-stamp procedures? Any sense or point to this, eludes me; thought prompted, on the theme of "the world nowadays, is getting madder all the time".
I thought that sounded like a post office clearing out some old stock; but a quick search online shows that these stamps have only just been issued to mark the 50th anniversary of the TV series, first broadcast in September 1974. Maybe the lick-and-stick gum and perforations are all part of the historical allusion?

I bought some stamps last week, but out of habit I asked for a "book of second class" and so received the usual paper folder with self adhesive contents.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
I thought that sounded like a post office clearing out some old stock; but a quick search online shows that these stamps have only just been issued to mark the 50th anniversary of the TV series, first broadcast in September 1974. Maybe the lick-and-stick gum and perforations are all part of the historical allusion?
This does make sense -- anything which might do, having hitherto been eluding me -- if of an, in my opinion, rather crazy and tacky kind. Whatever Royal Mail's rationale; I personally wish that they hadn't bothered with this stunt.
I bought some stamps last week, but out of habit I asked for a "book of second class" and so received the usual paper folder with self adhesive contents.
I only wanted a few of each kind -- less than whole books-full -- so requested accordingly. What I was getting looked to me from the first, a bit weird; but I thought, "don't be an annoying curmudgeon -- presumably this stuff will essentially do the job" -- I only discovered later, and too late, just how weird and sub-optimal the goods were.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,306
Whilst we are talking about postage stamps, a heads-up that the price of first class stamps is increasing from £1.35 to £1.65 effective from Monday 7th October 2024.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Highly-financially-canny surviving keen "snail-mail" users, will likely carry out a bulk purchase of first-class stamps in advance of 7/10/24. I, having no financial sense to speak of -- and always being nowadays "at sea" re what stamps cost -- will no doubt as ever, shrug my shoulders and carry on buying as-and-when; while mildly musing on how this whole thing has become outrageous and way over the top ...
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Further to the Porridge stamps saga: things have been such, that I've lately been making more lavish use of "snail-mail" than I usually do -- a day or two back, was left with just one of the ghastly Porridge "retro" specimens. Went to one of my local post offices to re-stock on stamps; made sure to ask for a book of "firsts" (the category I use more often) -- book of four: "self-peeling-off-and-sticking" -- royal head (these, with that of Elizabeth, not Charles, as it happened) -- no problem. Wanting just two second class: I was careful to stipulate -- "please, standard ones, not pictorial; and not these perforated lick-and-sick monstrosities which seem to be around at present". Feel that the clerk perhaps looked at me a bit oddly; but she came up with two "green normal standard Charleses", as per my wish.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,499
Location
Birmingham
Idiot ebayers.

I've an item of furniture listed on ebay at the moment. The listing title says collection only. The full item description says collection only. The postage details section says collection only.

Some has just messaged me asking if I will deliver to Leeds.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,171
Location
Wilmslow
Idiot ebayers.

I've an item of furniture listed on ebay at the moment. The listing title says collection only. The full item description says collection only. The postage details section says collection only.

Some has just messaged me asking if I will deliver to Leeds.
eBay (or, rather, some of its users) is bonkers.
Advertise something for, say, £600 with offers accepted and people will offer 45p and a bag of beans.
They are a pain, and make it a pain to use through no direct fault of its own.

I buy old working timetables and sometimes offer £10 for listings for more than this, but they’re usually £15-£20 so the offer makes sense to me. Not that they’re ever accepted, mind you!
 
Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
4,739
Location
GWR land
I'd ban people standing in the doorways of buildings when it's raining. It's annoying enough when you're inside trying to get out and there's someone stood there waiting for their staring at the clouds to change the weather, but it's more irritating when you move out of someone's way for them to leave and then they take their time, leaving you to get soggy whilst they assess how best to telepathically stop the rain... :lol:

eBay (or, rather, some of its users) is bonkers.
Advertise something for, say, £600 with offers accepted and people will offer 45p and a bag of beans.
They are a pain, and make it a pain to use through no direct fault of its own.

I buy old working timetables and sometimes offer £10 for listings for more than this, but they’re usually £15-£20 so the offer makes sense to me. Not that they’re ever accepted, mind you!
Buyers on Vinted seem to be quite good at asking for prices of, say, 50p off an item - normally when the item is priced at only something like £2 or £2.50 anyway! All part of the fun I suppose. ;)

-Peter
 

Peter C

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
4,739
Location
GWR land
I think this one’s a bit harsh :)
Yes I admit my post is a bit blunt - I should've specified I meant places where people can easily stand inside by the door, but not in the doorway. My post was prompted by having to wait for someone with no awareness of their surroundings to stand in the doorway of a station whilst I stood outside getting drenched!

-Peter
 

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2013
Messages
2,588
Location
Leeds
Idiot ebayers.

I've an item of furniture listed on ebay at the moment. The listing title says collection only. The full item description says collection only. The postage details section says collection only.

Some has just messaged me asking if I will deliver to Leeds.
Sorry, that was me. I'm on the eighth floor too, so if you could just lug it upstairs, I'd appreciate it. ;)
 

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2005
Messages
2,751
Location
Staffordshire
Idiot ebayers.

I've an item of furniture listed on ebay at the moment. The listing title says collection only. The full item description says collection only. The postage details section says collection only.

Some has just messaged me asking if I will deliver to Leeds.
I once sold a small TV/DVD combo online (I forget wether it was eBay or Facebook marketplace). I made sure to include photos of the TV both on and off, in DVD mode, front and back - including all of the buttons and input ports, and the remote control. Guess what? "Hi, do you have any more pics of this?" :rolleyes:
 

Mr. SW

Member
Joined
13 Sep 2023
Messages
552
Location
Armchair
People who stop dead immediately after walking through a door, or worse - upon reaching the top/bottom of an escalator.
They do that on trains. Walk through the door when it opens and then start to look at their phone, with 5000 angry people on the platform behind them.

Me: "No, I don't want to get into work on time. I really want to have another b0LLocKin from my line manager. Yes, I have nothing better to do with my life."
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,370
Yes if I'd spent more time writing my post earlier I'd have included this!
(Gosh I am grumpy... ;))

-Peter
When people stop at the top or bottom of an escalator, especially a busy one, is one of the very few times I will be blunt and rude to people.

It's not just stupid and annoying, it's downright dangerous. End of.

If someone wants to think I'm a bit of a "see you next Tuesday" but I've just spared 10 people including myself from being injured, then they're more than welcome to that opinion as far as I'm concerned.
 

Peter C

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
4,739
Location
GWR land
When people stop at the top or bottom of an escalator, especially a busy one, is one of the very few times I will be blunt and rude to people.

It's not just stupid and annoying, it's downright dangerous. End of.

If someone wants to think I'm a bit of a "see you next Tuesday" but I've just spared 10 people including myself from being injured, then they're more than welcome to that opinion as far as I'm concerned.
Yes I've seen this a few times. I suppose it all links in to people just not being aware of their surroundings? I say we start a petition to replace the 'see it, say it, sorted' announcements with recordings of Brian Blessed shouting "look around you and keep moving!". ;)

-Peter
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Not really comedic. Coming back on the bus to my usual stop, which isn’t a very busy one, somebody sitting right at the front pressed the bell to get off. When we stopped he got off quickly, but I was sitting over the rear wheels and move a bit more slowly. A chap who was probably older than me was waiting to get on, so the driver held up his hand to tell him to wait until I got off. Whereupon the chap broke into a full-scale diatribe about what right did the driver have to refuse him permission to get on. It sort of died away a bit as he saw me come up and get off, but he still seemed to be giving the driver a mouthful after he did get on.
 

bearhugger

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2015
Messages
689
Location
Middlesbrough
Not really comedic. Coming back on the bus to my usual stop, which isn’t a very busy one, somebody sitting right at the front pressed the bell to get off. When we stopped he got off quickly, but I was sitting over the rear wheels and move a bit more slowly. A chap who was probably older than me was waiting to get on, so the driver held up his hand to tell him to wait until I got off. Whereupon the chap broke into a full-scale diatribe about what right did the driver have to refuse him permission to get on. It sort of died away a bit as he saw me come up and get off, but he still seemed to be giving the driver a mouthful after he did get on.
Had something similar last year at a bus stop. The majority of bus stops have a raised kerb to make it easier for wheelchair & restricted mobility access. Most people stand there to board. I was stood there & some bloke was stood at the other end of the shelter where the kerb was normal height. Bus stopped at me. Got on and the bloke gave the driver a mouthful because he (bloke) had put his hand out and was supposed to stop at him!
 

Top