• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Jimini

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2006
Messages
2,177
Location
Reading
On the other hand, it's irritates me that many of the contestants in today's game shows, particularly the ones with high stakes like Million Pound Drop or am Ant & Dec's Limitless win, have job titles such as marketing executive or financial director. I have nothing against the wealthy taking part in these game shows, but it feels like an uneven split. Where are the forklift driver/housewife combinations that used to frequent Bullseye every week?

Marketing executive is (in my experience) a fairly bog standard job title these days, normally sandwiched between assistant and manager.

It would be hilarious if the star prize on something like the 1% Club was a speedboat :lol:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
Tupperware parties.
Especially those with sherry and vol au vents.

Yes - my childhood  was tainted by this very experience.
Multiple times...
My childhood too. We always had to go to bed early when my mum had a "party" .
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,306
It would be hilarious if the star prize on something like the 1% Club was a speedboat :lol:
Did anyone ever actually win one of those when it was the "star prize" on Jim Bowen's 'Bullseye'? Seem to recall some (possibly apocryphal) tale about there only ever being the one winner, who apparently happened to live at the top of a block of flats somewhere in the Midlands.
 

Jimini

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2006
Messages
2,177
Location
Reading
Did anyone ever actually win one of those when it was the "star prize" on Jim Bowen's 'Bullseye'? Seem to recall some (possibly apocryphal) tale about there only ever being the one winner, who apparently happened to live at the top of a block of flats somewhere in the Midlands.

There are three episodes on Challenge TV back to back as I type now, and a further two between 11pm and midnight!

I’ve watched a few of these recently, and yep I’ve seen a couple of speedboat winners.

The old legend I remember hearing was that they got their hands on a batch load of speedboats, and if the contestants lost they’d push a car out, or show the “trip of a lifetime” video. If they won, then out came the speedboat :)
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,747
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Ridiculously "stanced" cars that are completely impractical for normal use.
This is at a retail park. With speed humps. So, it'll a) ground itself and hold up everyone else, b) grind its splitter's paint off, or c) use hydraulic rams to lift the car - thereby looking even more ridiculous.
Just. Don"t.

And  this. It's only the 1st September, for goodness' sakes.
 

Attachments

  • 20240901_124421~2.jpg
    20240901_124421~2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 62
  • 20240901_134450~2.jpg
    20240901_134450~2.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,500
Location
Birmingham
Ridiculously "stanced" cars that are completely impractical for normal use.
This is at a retail park. With speed humps. So, it'll a) ground itself and hold up everyone else; b) grind its splitter's paint off, or c) use hydraulic rams to lift the car - thereby looking even more ridiculous.
Just. Don"t.
One for Barry Boys if it was still going.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,063
Location
St Albans
And most of that will probably be passed its best before date by Xmas.
Christmas puddings that I see on sale every year have best before dates of 18 months hence or longer, which allows those reduced just after christmas to be bought cheaply for the following festive season.
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,683
Location
The West Country
Christmas puddings that I see on sale every year have best before dates of 18 months hence or longer, which allows those reduced just after christmas to be bought cheaply for the following festive season.
Ok if you want stuff hanging around for 12 months.
 

Trainguy34

Established Member
Joined
29 Apr 2023
Messages
1,234
Location
Kent
Ok if you want stuff hanging around for 12 months.
In waitrose and likely other shops (haven't checked this year unless it's by the tills), they advertise it as being matured for 2 years, which sounds exactly like them just leaving it for 2 years and hoping it goes well!
 

simonw

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2009
Messages
1,412
Just been to Romania, Croatia and Czech with some pretty awful sites to be seen there too so afraid they have adopted these habits.
Surely you did your research as to which sites you were going to visit before you went? :)
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,584
Surely you did your research as to which sites you were going to visit before you went? :)
Oh yes, obviously didn't check my spelling and meant sights!
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,063
Location
St Albans
In waitrose and likely other shops (haven't checked this year unless it's by the tills), they advertise it as being matured for 2 years, which sounds exactly like them just leaving it for 2 years and hoping it goes well!
No, it's proportional to the amount of alcohol in the pudding, and the longer maturing enhances the flavour. Cheap 'fresh' puddings are just fruit cake type puddings with a whiff of industrial brandy flavouring. You might get problems with them if they are consumed well after the best before date!
 

TheGuy77

Member
Joined
21 Apr 2024
Messages
200
Location
Earth (obviously)
Ridiculously "stanced" cars that are completely impractical for normal use.
This is at a retail park. With speed humps. So, it'll a) ground itself and hold up everyone else, b) grind its splitter's paint off, or c) use hydraulic rams to lift the car - thereby looking even more ridiculous.
Just. Don"t.

And  this. It's only the 1st September, for goodness' sakes.
Iceland have also started selling their Christmas range.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,306
Iceland have also started selling their Christmas range.
That's good for them, and of course for anyone else who, for example, likes mince pies in September, although I'm struggling to see the point of selling semi-perishable "Christmas" items which have use by / best before dates before the festive season, other than the increased sales!
 

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
Home Bargains started their Christmas isle a few weeks ago, extending it each week, removing the gardening stuff until it now takes up a whole isle.

I was in Home Bargains this morning. As I went through the cash desk I asked the girl if they had sold any Christmas related goods. 'No' she said, 'I don't know why we have to put it out so early. Lot's of customers complain about Christmas getting earlier'.
***************

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

‘How did we do?’ emails & text messages.

I access my online banking - I then receive a ‘how did we do?’ email.
I pick my tablets up from the chemist - I then receive a ‘how did we do?’ text
I purchase something off the internet - I then receive a ‘how did we do?’ email.

This morning I’ve been to the doctors - Guess what? I’ve just received a ‘ How did we do?’ text.
I normally just ignore & delete, but this time I looked at it. It gave me TEN choices on a scale of 1 to 10. Choose 1 if very unsatisfied and 10 if totally satisfied. Why he he’ll do I need TEN choices, 3 would be enough, Good, Bad, Ok

Morning moan over. Soon be time for afternoon one.
Note: Forum has auto merged this post with my previous one.
 
Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,063
Location
St Albans
‘How did we do?’ emails & text messages.

I access my online banking - I then receive a ‘how did we do?’ email.
I pick my tablets up from the chemist - I then receive a ‘how did we do?’ text
I purchase something off the internet - I then receive a ‘how did we do?’ email.

This morning I’ve been to the doctors - Guess what? I’ve just received a ‘ How did we do?’ text.
I normally just ignore & delete, but this time I looked at it. It gave me TEN choices on a scale of 1 to 10. Choose 1 if very unsatisfied and 10 if totally satisfied. Why he he’ll do I need TEN choices, 3 would be enough, Good, Bad, Ok

Morning moan over. Soon be time for afternoon one.
Note: Forum has auto merged this post with my previous one.
Would you like us to score how you did on that post?
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,182
Location
Elginshire
I'm going to ban idiots who drive in thick fog using only sidelights or daytime running lights (the latter situation is worse as there is nothing on at the back) - I can't see you!

Either use dipped headlights or, better still, fog lights if you have them - that's what they're there for!
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,584
I'm going to ban idiots who drive in thick fog using only sidelights or daytime running lights (the latter situation is worse as there is nothing on at the back) - I can't see you!

Either use dipped headlights or, better still, fog lights if you have them - that's what they're there for!
...and conversely the idiots who drive with fog lights on when they don't need them. Highway code says visibility of 100 metres or less not when it's raining or in some cases it's dark!
The front fog lights are there to light up the kerb not to enable you to be seen.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,182
Location
Elginshire
...and conversely the idiots who drive with fog lights on when they don't need them. Highway code says visibility of 100 metres or less not when it's raining or in some cases it's dark!
I absolutely agree with you on this. The fog wasn't nearly as bad in town and some folk were using lights when there was no need.
The front fog lights are there to light up the kerb not to enable you to be seen.
I'd agree that front fogs aren't necessary to be seen (dipped headlights are, though), but rear fogs definitely do help in this regard. As I approached a 40mph zone, I noted at one point that the car in front of me would have been completely invisible if it it hadn't been displaying rear fogs (and hadn't braked) - ordinary tail lights are simply insufficient.

To be clear, I was far enough behind and driving slowly enough for it not to be an issue, but the driver behind me wasn't quite being so careful!
 

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
I'm going to ban idiots who drive in thick fog using only sidelights or daytime running lights…
To be honest I haven’t encountered fog for quite a few years necessitating the use of fog lights. The old ‘pea soupers’ appear to be a thing of the past. Climate change?
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
To be honest I haven’t encountered fog for quite a few years necessitating the use of fog lights. The old ‘pea soupers’ appear to be a thing of the past. Climate change?
The various Clean Air Acts would be a greater factor, I would have thought?
 

Top