• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,445
Also, teabags in single-serve packets which you have to tear (often found in hotels). I can't be the only one who finds those things fiddly to open: tear too high up and you can't get into it; too low down and you'll break the bag inside at the same time. They should just put the teabags loose in a box and be done with it.
Lipton packets of tea are particularly horrid. I don't know if its that there isn't enough tea in the packet, or if its just house dust, but no tea flavour comes out.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,308
Lipton packets of tea are particularly horrid. I don't know if its that there isn't enough tea in the packet, or if its just house dust, but no tea flavour comes out.
In that case, suggest you always give your tea cup / mug a quick rinse before you use it! ;)
 

Cross City

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2020
Messages
936
Location
Birmingham
Yeah flavoured beer especially stouts can be very hit and miss, though when they are a hit they are usually very good so its worth risking a few misses.

I'm pleased stouts are growing in popularity, but as I said you get these 14% salted caramel glasses of nastiness and they taste like drinking vodka stirred through a half pint of molasses.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,308
and wash away more flavour?
It's indeed a poor do, if your house dust / floor sweepings collectively taste better than the contents of the branded "tea" bag that you're using in your cuppa.

Certainly brings a whole new meaning to a brew tasting like mud because it's "fresh ground". :E
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,048
Location
Up the creek
Jam jars that have the lid on so tight that opening them for the first time is a Labour of Hercules liable to give you a heart attack. I am sure that one day I will be found dead on the floor of the kitchen with the remains of my skeletal hands grasped around a jar of Tiptree Rasperry Seedless.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,308
Indeed. In an ideal world, kitchen gizmo shops wouldn't then have any need to sell "non-slip" jar and bottle opening devices, of varying ease of use and complexity.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Jam jars that have the lid on so tight that opening them for the first time is a Labour of Hercules liable to give you a heart attack. I am sure that one day I will be found dead on the floor of the kitchen with the remains of my skeletal hands grasped around a jar of Tiptree Rasperry Seedless.
Speaking as a shorta**e, being able to open tightly-sealed jars is pretty much the only "man-task" around the house I can accomplish (apart from changing a plug, which is itself a thing of the past) so don't take that away from me! ;)
 

A Challenge

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2016
Messages
2,837
Jam jars that have the lid on so tight that opening them for the first time is a Labour of Hercules liable to give you a heart attack. I am sure that one day I will be found dead on the floor of the kitchen with the remains of my skeletal hands grasped around a jar of Tiptree Rasperry Seedless.
I find that running the jar under hot water and then opening with the assistance of a towel generally works, on the rare occasion I open a jar of jam
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,690
Location
Solihull
I honestly don't find opening Tiptree jam jars difficult at all, maybe i am just too butch for my own good.

I don't find emptying an open jar that difficult either...
 

Herefordian

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2022
Messages
267
Location
Hereford
Also, teabags in single-serve packets which you have to tear (often found in hotels). I can't be the only one who finds those things fiddly to open: tear too high up and you can't get into it; too low down and you'll break the bag inside at the same time. They should just put the teabags loose in a box and be done with it.

Teabags on strings should also be banned. That's what teaspoons were invented for.

This. Teabag packets are pointless and wasteful.

Another tea-related example: milk hitting the inflated teabag and spilling everywhere.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,308
Put the milk in first, then the tea-bag and then add the water to make a proper cup of tea. (I see war breaking out over this.)
Surely the hot water has to be just slightly below the boiling point of 100°C for the brewing process to happen properly (with black tea). Putting the milk in first is just going to cool the hot water excessively.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,433
Location
Yorks
If you're putting the milk in, how do you know how much to put in to get it to the correct shade of brown ?
 

D821

Member
Joined
1 Sep 2021
Messages
628
Location
The Wirral
I spent years making tea with the milk in first until I was watching a programme where a scientist was saying that tea should be water first, brewed for 5 minutes, then have the milk added.
I scoffed at this and my wife challenged me to try making a cup as suggested.
It did taste better and I've carried on making it this way since.
Of course, how you make your cup of tea is your business. You can make it with tepid water and cats' milk, but I know how I like mine made.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
I spent years making tea with the milk in first until I was watching a programme where a scientist was saying that tea should be water first, brewed for 5 minutes, then have the milk added.
I scoffed at this and my wife challenged me to try making a cup as suggested.
It did taste better and I've carried on making it this way since.
Of course, how you make your cup of tea is your business. You can make it with tepid water and cats' milk, but I know how I like mine made.

(My bolding) -- dreadful joke from childhood: Q: How do you milk a cat? A: The same way that you water a horse.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
The (only) correct way to make tea in a mug is as follows:
1) Place teabag in mug. Do NOT add milk yet. If you have sugar, put it in now.
2) Boil the kettle. The moment it stops bubbling, pour the water over the teabag in the mug.
3) Leave alone for at least 2, and up to 5 minutes depending how much time you have and how strong you like your tea.
4) Stir briefly, then remove teabag with the spoon. By all means squeeze the teabag gently against the side of the cup to increase strength and prevent drips, but do not torture it!
5) Add milk to taste. Stir slowly as you pour in the milk.
6) Enjoy your tea smugly knowing that you've made it in the "correct" way... or at least the correct way that doesn't involve a tea pot.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
All this fooling around with milk, easily avoided by not consuming tea with milk. Black tea is the way forward, and it's the only way I have my tea.

Mind you, when it comes to tea I won't even waste my time with Tetleys (I might scoff at it though!) or PG Tips. Yorkshire Tea was a letdown last time I tried it, and don't even get me started on Typhoo! When it comes to tea, I have but four preferences. Anything else is simply inferior:

1) Twinings English Breakfast tea
2) Herbal tea (my preference of flavour is normally one involving berries)
3) Twinings Earl Grey
4) Green tea, occasionally flavoured but plain green tea when the tastebuds call for it will be just fine.

Before you ask, no I don't add sugar to my tea. Sugar, with an Earl Grey? Absolutely not! The very notion of it, well I never! :lol: The mere idea of milk with an Earl Grey or English Breakfast tea is just pure nonsense, away with you! :lol:

(And yes, an old fashioned English accent should be used with the above!)
 

Herefordian

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2022
Messages
267
Location
Hereford
The (only) correct way to make tea in a mug is as follows:
1) Place teabag in mug. Do NOT add milk yet. If you have sugar, put it in now.
2) Boil the kettle. The moment it stops bubbling, pour the water over the teabag in the mug.
3) Leave alone for at least 2, and up to 5 minutes depending how much time you have and how strong you like your tea.
4) Stir briefly, then remove teabag with the spoon. By all means squeeze the teabag gently against the side of the cup to increase strength and prevent drips, but do not torture it!
5) Add milk to taste. Stir slowly as you pour in the milk.
6) Enjoy your tea smugly knowing that you've made it in the "correct" way... or at least the correct way that doesn't involve a tea pot.

This is the correct method.
 

Top