• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
The major problems with meetings, is that they spawn more meetings….. which then spawn more meetings….. which then……….

Meetings are often used as an excuse not to get work done.

Some people even put fake meetings into their online calendar at work so that people don't bother them, or they have an excuse not to answer the phone.
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
I would ban people arranging meetings, workshops, webinars or any other crap on a Friday.

Such abominations are an obstacle to society reaching a higher state of civilisation in the form of the four day week.
Lets have a meeting to see why we have so many meetings. :D :D :D
 

Thirteen

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2021
Messages
1,903
Location
London
I wish the YouTube algorithm would stop suggesting GB News, Talk TV and PoliticsJoe whether I happen to watch a news clip on YouTube.
 

D821

Member
Joined
1 Sep 2021
Messages
628
Location
The Wirral
I wish the YouTube algorithm would stop suggesting GB News, Talk TV and PoliticsJoe whether I happen to watch a news clip on YouTube.
Usually, you can click on the 3 dots on a video and ask YouTube not to recommend videos from that channel.
 

Thirteen

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2021
Messages
1,903
Location
London
Usually, you can click on the 3 dots on a video and ask YouTube not to recommend videos from that channel.
It's strange that I get suggested videos both sides of the political bias. All three are very irritating in their own ways.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
It's strange that I get suggested videos both sides of the political bias. All three are very irritating in their own ways.
Surely it's better to get a spectrum of opinion than being in an echo-chamber?

(That says nothing on the quality of said output, of course)
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,417
Location
Yorks
****ing sweetcorn. I hate it. And they don't even say it's going on, they just include it to annoy you.

Excrement. That's what it is.
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
****ing sweetcorn. I hate it. And they don't even say it's going on, they just include it to annoy you.

Excrement. That's what it is.
I'm with you.

As soon as I see 1 bit of sweetcorn in anything, that's it, I wont touch it. :frown:
 

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
I'm with you.

As soon as I see 1 bit of sweetcorn in anything, that's it, I wont touch it. :frown:
Without being too clinical, sweetcorn appears to leave the body in more or less the same condition as it went in. I really don’t see what benefit the body gets from it.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Without being too clinical, sweetcorn appears to leave the body in more or less the same condition as it went in. I really don’t see what benefit the body gets from it.

It has the advantage that you can see whether your digestive system is processing your intake of food at the correct rate. Eat a load of sweetcorn at a meal and then watch… (This is actually a genuine medical tip.)
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,417
Location
Yorks
I feel the same about cucumber and broccoli

I must admit, I like those two.
I'm with you.

As soon as I see 1 bit of sweetcorn in anything, that's it, I wont touch it. :frown:

It's one of those things people seem to feel the need to chuck in everything without telling anyone. Horrible texture, disgusting taste.

I find that if you have something that has the name of a proper foodstuff with the prefix "sweet" before it, it's invariably rubbish:

Sweet corn
Sweet potatoes
Sweet chilli
Sweet peas..etc
 
Last edited:

Lucan

Established Member
Joined
21 Feb 2018
Messages
1,262
Location
Wales
Websites stopping me from logging in with the almost mocking "Have you forgotten your password?", when in fact they have forgotten it, either because I have not logged in for some time or because they have quietly introduced new password rules and deleted all those that do not comply.

I'm looking at the BBC iPlayer facility for the former and my local council for the latter. Last year the council locked me out because they thenceforth required at least one letter to be upper case, and having sorted that at the time, they now require a 10+ character password, mine having been 8 characters until now.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Bus passengers who watch films on hand-held devices without headsets: they have the volume up high, often so high that it distorts into an unpleasant howling or scraping noise at times. I have had a spate of these recently: one woman was watching a film that, even if it wasn’t R18, was probably either 15 or 18 classification and the whole lower deck, including children, could hear a scene involving energetic bedroom gymnastics.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,685
Location
Solihull
Bus passengers who watch films on hand-held devices without headsets: they have the volume up high, often so high that it distorts into an unpleasant howling or scraping noise at times. I have had a spate of these recently: one woman was watching a film that, even if it wasn’t R18, was probably either 15 or 18 classification and the whole lower deck, including children, could hear a scene involving energetic bedroom gymnastics.
Kids probably already seen it.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Bus passengers who watch films on hand-held devices without headsets: they have the volume up high, often so high that it distorts into an unpleasant howling or scraping noise at times. I have had a spate of these recently: one woman was watching a film that, even if it wasn’t R18, was probably either 15 or 18 classification and the whole lower deck, including children, could hear a scene involving energetic bedroom gymnastics.

Bus passengers who hold inane and pointless conversations on their phones, with the person on the other end on speakerphone, so that the whole bus can hear everything that is being said. <( <( <( <( <(

Bus passengers who are so absorbed in their phone that they miss their stop until just as the driver is pulling away from it, and then expect the driver to stop in the middle of the road and let them off. <(<(
 

Meerkat

Established Member
Joined
14 Jul 2018
Messages
9,276
"On tonight's programme..."
"After the break we will see.....
"Before the break we saw....
"On next week's programme....."

Which all adds up to more than tonight's programme.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,306
"On tonight's programme..."
"After the break we will see.....
"Before the break we saw....
"On next week's programme....."

Which all adds up to more than tonight's programme.
Particularly so with "real life" fly-on-the-wall documentaries, such as "Traffic Cops", "Road Wars", "Police Interceptors' and the suchlike, where the production team(s) don't have all that much original footage to work with, and thus have to pad it out somewhat.
 

Meerkat

Established Member
Joined
14 Jul 2018
Messages
9,276
Particularly so with "real life" fly-on-the-wall documentaries, such as "Traffic Cops", "Road Wars", "Police Interceptors' and the suchlike, where the production team(s) don't have all that much original footage to work with, and thus have to pad it out somewhat.
Even worse is when the 'on tonights' and 'after the break' bits show all the best bits and are basically spoilers.
 

Top