• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Its common sense as one side is designed for a basket and one for a load of shopping….

In some supermarkets it is not obvious.

My local Aldi has a row of self service tills where the basket area is on the right, and the bagging area on the left, as well as another row opposite where the positions are reversed.

But at least they have signs saying where to put your basket full of shopping.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dakta

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2008
Messages
577
I'd just have rid of the self checkout tills anyway, we normally needed assistance 2-3 times most time we use them, we've tried adjusting the technique, laying stuff down carefully and it just never seems to help

One I used earlier took a tenner, then a fiver, and failed to register the fiver, did get it sorted but wasn't filled with confidence when the assistant initially seemed equally worried and I can't help but think a human would've been quicker for the whole transaction.

They also seem to punish you by giving out cash change in as many coins as possible if the machine determines you have been difficult.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,500
Location
Birmingham
I'd just have rid of the self checkout tills anyway, we normally needed assistance 2-3 times most time we use them, we've tried adjusting the technique, laying stuff down carefully and it just never seems to help
The only reliable way I've found to avoid the dreaded "unexpected item in bagging area" is to not bag anything at all until after I've finished scanning and have paid.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
I'd just have rid of the self checkout tills anyway, we normally needed assistance 2-3 times most time we use them, we've tried adjusting the technique, laying stuff down carefully and it just never seems to help

One I used earlier took a tenner, then a fiver, and failed to register the fiver, did get it sorted but wasn't filled with confidence when the assistant initially seemed equally worried and I can't help but think a human would've been quicker for the whole transaction.

They also seem to punish you by giving out cash change in as many coins as possible if the machine determines you have been difficult.

Or they punish people who want to use cash by making 90% of the self service tills card only.

Another thing I would ban is being cajoled into using a card only machine when I want to pay with cash.
 

dakta

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2008
Messages
577
The only reliable way I've found to avoid the dreaded "unexpected item in bagging area" is to not bag anything at all until after I've finished scanning and have paid.


I did give that a whirl and it seemed to help but not all that much

It also made things a whole deal more awkward, because then you've now just created the new task of bagging everything up at the moment you'd actually want to be paying (or you'll be paying whilst someone now bags up and then the tills burbling at you 'thank you for your custom' repeatedly until you can get it all together and go

Notice my local asda has culled even more tills recently to make room for it :(
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
Can we also ban supermarkets from having self service checkout tills without a sign indicating which side you should put your basket full of shopping, and which is the "bagging area".

Yes, Morrisons, I am looking at you.

frnakly, it’s bloody obvious!
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,050
Location
Up the creek
frnakly, it’s bloody obvious!

In some it is, but in others it isn’t. Although it isn’t (usually) really much of a chore to move your basket.

It looks to me as if Morrison’s are ending long-term offers as normal, but not replacing them with new ones from the same section (pasta, pasties and rolls, etc.) There are still a few, but they seem to be of shorter duration and variety. (This has not been methodically investigated.)
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
I did give that a whirl and it seemed to help but not all that much

It also made things a whole deal more awkward, because then you've now just created the new task of bagging everything up at the moment you'd actually want to be paying (or you'll be paying whilst someone now bags up and then the tills burbling at you 'thank you for your custom' repeatedly until you can get it all together and go

Notice my local asda has culled even more tills recently to make room for it :(
Could be worse...

At my nearest Morrisons (which is the best supermarket for choice, but the absolute worst for staff attitude) there's always a big queue for the self-scan tills precisely because the checkout ladies seem to be a crack team of SAS-trained Battle-axes!
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,904
Can I ban people fishing in the canal with a rod that is longer than the canal is wide? What’s the point?
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,050
Location
Up the creek
The use of the word ‘bathroom’ for a room that doesn’t have a bath, particularly on a train. If you mean WC/toilet/loo/gents/ladies/khazi/bogs/etc. say so, using whichever one of the many options is most appropriate. There are all too many Americanisms sliding into our language: some may be reasonable, but this one impoverishes then language. I have seen a couple of examples on this forum recently.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,691
Location
Solihull
The use of the word ‘bathroom’ for a room that doesn’t have a bath, particularly on a train. If you mean WC/toilet/loo/gents/ladies/khazi/bogs/etc. say so, using whichever one of the many options is most appropriate. There are all too many Americanisms sliding into our language: some may be reasonable, but this one impoverishes then language. I have seen a couple of examples on this forum recently.
I have done my best to combat this, my wife who grew up learning American English, now uses terms like bog roll.
 

Purple Train

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2022
Messages
2,487
Location
Exile or exile
I ha've to agree with you! To be fair, I would ban all incorrect grammar, but that's another story
Oooh yes, that would be marvellou's. ;)
The use of the word ‘bathroom’ for a room that doesn’t have a bath, particularly on a train. If you mean WC/toilet/loo/gents/ladies/khazi/bogs/etc. say so, using whichever one of the many options is most appropriate. There are all too many Americanisms sliding into our language: some may be reasonable, but this one impoverishes then language. I have seen a couple of examples on this forum recently.
This is why houses where the toilet and the bath/shower are in different rooms really bring out my evil streak. If someone asks where the bathroom is, I'd be sorely tempted to give them the location of the bath/shower room, rather than the room they want.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
This is why houses where the toilet and the bath/shower are in different rooms really bring out my evil streak. If someone asks where the bathroom is, I'd be sorely tempted to give them the location of the bath/shower room, rather than the room they want.
In that case, don't get angry if they "lay a cable" in your bathtub!

I must jump to the defence of our American cousins, sometimes euphemistically calling it the "bathroom" is more appropriate. However once that becomes the default term, everyone knows it's a euphemism so it no longer functions as one!
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
In that case, don't get angry if they "lay a cable" in your bathtub!

I must jump to the defence of our American cousins, sometimes euphemistically calling it the "bathroom" is more appropriate. However once that becomes the default term, everyone knows it's a euphemism so it no longer functions as one !

(My bolding) -- the Universal Law of Euphemisms. Makes one wonder why we bother with them !
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,050
Location
Up the creek
Long ago the Two Ronnies did a sketch with Ronnie C. using all sorts of euphemisms when asking Ronnie B. where the toilet is at a party. For example, asking for the ‘smallest room’ and being shown the broom cupboard.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,835
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Long ago the Two Ronnies did a sketch with Ronnie C. using all sorts of euphemisms when asking Ronnie B. where the toilet is at a party. For example, asking for the ‘smallest room’ and being shown the broom cupboard.

Toilet is itself a euphemism, isn't it? As is lavatory, which refers to a place where one can have a wash! (laver = to wash)

  1. the process of washing oneself, dressing, and attending to one's appearance.
    "Emily got up to begin her morning toilette"
Origin
a112044aa6a9a85391bb795488325e6cd7fcb6d3ba84af818c538dd398968531.png

late 17th century: French (see toilet).

(from the Oxford English Dictionary via Google)

Not sure what isn't bar the crude ones, such as naming it after a certain famous Thomas (which is said to be the word version of a backronym).
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,050
Location
Up the creek
Thomas Crapper was the founder of a plumbing equipment company who made a number of significant improvements to plumbing equipment. However, he did not, as has been claimed, invent the flushing cistern, merely improved it. The word cr*p is much older, so I suspect that he is partly remembered because of the coincidence of his name and the business he dealt with (pun intended).
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,500
Location
Birmingham
The use of the word ‘bathroom’ for a room that doesn’t have a bath, particularly on a train. If you mean WC/toilet/loo/gents/ladies/khazi/bogs/etc. say so, using whichever one of the many options is most appropriate. There are all too many Americanisms sliding into our language: some may be reasonable, but this one impoverishes then language. I have seen a couple of examples on this forum recently.
'Restroom' irritates me more tbh, but most ludicrous of all is 'cloakroom'.

Bathrooms do at least often include a loo and 'restroom' is only ever used as a euphemism for toilet but cloakroom has a wholly different, and commonly used, alternate meaning.
 
Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Thomas Crapper was the founder of a plumbing equipment company who made a number of significant improvements to plumbing equipment. However, he did not, as has been claimed, invent the flushing cistern, merely improved it. The word cr*p is much older, so I suspect that he is partly remembered because of the coincidence of his name and the business he dealt with (pun intended).

I gather that a fancy expression for this phenomenon, is "nominative determinism".
 

Top