birchesgreen
Established Member
A mixture of deliberate, click bait and incompetence.
The Times and The Guardian are the same as the BBC.Who is at the BBC who keeps spelling NATO as "Nato" in their online articles? It's obviously an acronym; why can't they capitalise it properly? They do it with UEFA as well.
We don't watch the Bbc news, we watch the BBC News. It shouldn't be that hard for a professional writer!!
Use all capitals if an abbreviation is pronounced as the individual letters (an initialism): BBC, CEO, US, VAT, etc; if it is an acronym (pronounced as a word) spell out with initial capital, eg Nasa, Nato, Unicef, unless it can be considered to have entered the language as an everyday word, such as awol, laser and, more recently, asbo, pin number and sim card.
But VAT is pronounced "Vat".The Times and The Guardian are the same as the BBC.
The Guardian's style guide says:
https://www.theguardian.com/guardian-observer-style-guide-a
But VAT is pronounced "Vat".
I don’t; that’s not to say that I’m right or you’re wrong but that it’s not universal.But VAT is pronounced "Vat".
I don’t; that’s not to say that I’m right or you’re wrong but that it’s not universal.
The Times and The Guardian are the same as the BBC.
The Guardian's style guide says:
https://www.theguardian.com/guardian-observer-style-guide-a
Arrrrrrgggghhhh. Pin number. That needs banning - it's not a "personal identification number number", is it?Use all capitals if an abbreviation is pronounced as the individual letters (an initialism): BBC, CEO, US, VAT, etc; if it is an acronym (pronounced as a word) spell out with initial capital, eg Nasa, Nato, Unicef, unless it can be considered to have entered the language as an everyday word, such as awol, laser and, more recently, asbo, pin number and sim card.
But what will I do if I want to uniquely identify all of my drawing-pins?Arrrrrrgggghhhh. Pin number. That needs banning -

Commit hari-kari?But what will I do if I want to uniquely identify all of my drawing-pins?![]()
That’s another, along with TSB Bank.PAT test![]()
Don't think that the "talent" are tied down by exclusivity contracts these days!The question is what side do they actually work for, as they seem incapable of choosing one and sticking to it?
Are you banning the test itself, the redundant word, or both?PAT test![]()
....and the West Yorkshire version could have been called Wakefield Westgate-gate, Wakefield Kirkgate-gate or even Cross Gates-gate!Maybe we should have organised an illegal mass trainspotting session during lockdown, at a busy SR location south of the Thames? The resulting court case could have subsequently been described as New Cross Gate-gate.
Newark Northgate-gate has a nice ring to it....and the West Yorkshire version could have been called Wakefield Westgate-gate, Wakefield Kirkgate-gate or even Cross Gates-gate!
....and the West Yorkshire version could have been called Wakefield Westgate-gate, Wakefield Kirkgate-gate or even Cross Gates-gate!
The redundant word as the test doesn't exist (in this context, at least).Are you banning the test itself, the redundant word, or both?
Personally, I'd go with both!

The feeling of nausea you get when you're really hungry.
That's just one of the milder ones, had a few people ask for scott without a hello and when told its the wrong number challenge what number they should have rung or how to get hold of 'scott'
I doooooont carrrrrrrreee how to contact scott.