• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
I 'enforced' this once on a XC service a couple of months ago, by politely asking the gentleman in question if he had a set of headphones he could use, rather than broadcasting his conversation down the carriage in my direction. His solution was surprising yet effective:

View attachment 113701

Reminds me of Father Jack’s sleep box. :lol:

632A29E8-BA43-4BC8-97F8-3851295BA611.jpeg
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,046
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
People who bring their stinky food into enclosed spaces. Special shoutout to the passenger next to me who bought her Pret tuna and egg Niçoise salad onto the flight down from Edinburgh last night. Cheers for that, we all appreciated it.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
People who bring their stinky food into enclosed spaces. Special shoutout to the passenger next to me who bought her Pret tuna and egg Niçoise salad onto the flight down from Edinburgh last night. Cheers for that, we all appreciated it.

I don't know why people bother with food on short haul flights. (ie. those with a flight time of less than two hours)

It is not as if you are going to starve to death if you wait until after you have landed.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
People who bring their stinky food into enclosed spaces. Special shoutout to the passenger next to me who bought her Pret tuna and egg Niçoise salad onto the flight down from Edinburgh last night. Cheers for that, we all appreciated it.

Not meaning to come across as "snotty"; but I confess to being glad that I have a poor sense of smell. I feel that this spares me a good deal of misery in life.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

According to Google Translate: Heilinn minn er sár :lol: :lol: :lol:

I tried to look up "thank you" in Icelandic; but it's got in it, funny letters wot we don't have in our version of the alphabet ...
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,171
Location
Wilmslow
I tried to look up "thank you" in Icelandic; but it's got in it, funny letters wot we don't have in our version of the alphabet ...
"takk" will probably do .... I did a week's course in Icelandic in Ísafjörður as part of a holiday in 2013 which was fun, I can't say I remember much of it or use it, but as a way of getting "into" the culture I totally recommend it!
 
Last edited:

43172

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2020
Messages
161
Location
South west England
I tried to look up "thank you" in Icelandic; but it's got in it, funny letters wot we don't have in our version of the alphabet ...

Þakka þér fyrir is thank you in Icelandic, though it contains weird letters.

Can we also ban machines that don't give you an option on wanting a receipt and print one by default. I can imagine the majority of people would rather if the machine gave an option to print one or not, and would also cut on the amount of paper and ink used
 

scotrail158713

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2019
Messages
1,826
Location
Dundee
Can we also ban machines that don't give you an option on wanting a receipt and print one by default. I can imagine the majority of people would rather if the machine gave an option to print one or not, and would also cut on the amount of paper and ink used
Agreed. I often do want a receipt however there are times when I may pop into e.g. Tesco for a pint of milk, and to be honest I don't really need one just for that. Can I also bring up the ridiculous length of some receipts - often only for one or two items? I should say Lidl are much better for this though. Their receipts for a shop of approximately 10 items can be smaller than one from Asda or Tesco for 1-2 items.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Agreed. I often do want a receipt however there are times when I may pop into e.g. Tesco for a pint of milk, and to be honest I don't really need one just for that. Can I also bring up the ridiculous length of some receipts - often only for one or two items? I should say Lidl are much better for this though. Their receipts for a shop of approximately 10 items can be smaller than one from Asda or Tesco for 1-2 items.

Of my local-ish stores, the only one that doesn't ask you if you want a receipt is the Tesco Express located in one of the rougher parts of Bletchley. This is no doubt so the security guard can ask to see it if suspecting theft, and knowing the area (around Melrose Tower) I suspect he needs to do this several times a day. The others ask if you want one or not.
 

Lucan

Established Member
Joined
21 Feb 2018
Messages
1,265
Location
Wales
Can we also ban machines that don't give you an option on wanting a receipt and print one by default.
I always take a receipt but agree there should always be the choice between a receipt or not. What is annoying is that some people seem to request a receipt at ATMs (you don't get one unless you deliberately press the button for it) but then chuck it on the ground.
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Þakka þér fyrir is thank you in Icelandic, though it contains weird letters.

Can we also ban machines that don't give you an option on wanting a receipt and print one by default. I can imagine the majority of people would rather if the machine gave an option to print one or not, and would also cut on the amount of paper and ink used

If having declined a receipt, what would you do if a security guard stops you from leaving the store and wants to check the items in your bag?

I always request a receipt to avoid any potential hassle.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
If having declined a receipt, what would you do if a security guard stops you from leaving the store and wants to check the items in your bag?

I always request a receipt to avoid any potential hassle.

If it did happen, they would go back to the till you paid at and pull up the transaction details there.
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
I always take a receipt but agree there should always be the choice between a receipt or not. What is annoying is that some people seem to request a receipt at ATMs (you don't get one unless you deliberately press the button for it) but then chuck it on the ground.
I always take my receipt. The main reason is, if I need to go into another shop, that sells the same item.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
I always take my receipt. The main reason is, if I need to go into another shop, that sells the same item.
And also if you happen to resemble a local light-fingered person who staff, including security, habitually stop. They may quickly realise that you are not that person, but some are reluctant to back down and admit they made a mistake.
 

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
Þakka þér fyrir is thank you in Icelandic, though it contains weird letters.

Can we also ban machines that don't give you an option on wanting a receipt and print one by default. I can imagine the majority of people would rather if the machine gave an option to print one or not, and would also cut on the amount of paper and ink used

Is it right that þ is equivalent to "th"? Rather like Greek theta?
And I think we used to use it in English a long time ago, with the letter name "thorn"?

And is ð equivalent Greek delta I wonder?

I have to admit I wasn't aware Icelandic used additional letters.
 

Ediswan

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2012
Messages
3,459
Location
Stevenage
I have to admit I wasn't aware Icelandic used additional letters.
I was interested to see that in 1973 they abolished the letter Z (in favour of S), but Z still appears in places. You still sometimes see Æ in English (dipthong AE).
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Is it right that þ is equivalent to "th"? Rather like Greek theta?
And I think we used to use it in English a long time ago, with the letter name "thorn"?

And is ð equivalent Greek delta I wonder?

I have to admit I wasn't aware Icelandic used additional letters.
Dredging back over thirty years to when I studied Old Norse is of limited use as I didn’t really understand it then and have forgotten most of what I did understand. I can’t do the symbol, but thorn is basically the same as th: it was used in Old English. The ‘d with a stroke’ (known as Eth) is also (I think) a variation of th. Both are letters are from the Germanic/Old Norse family and any connection to Greek is either coincidental or due to modern simplification. (This is a case where my brain hurts. It is only the second time I can remember using what I ‘learnt’: the first was when I could pronounce the name of Eyjafjallajökull, the volcano that went pop in 2010.)
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,171
Location
Wilmslow
They're both "th" sounds, the ð is like the "th" in "weather" in English whereas the þ is like the "th" in "think", which are slightly different sounds in English and also in Icelandic.

Put another way, ð is "voiceless alveolar non-sibilant fricative" whereas þ is "voiced alveolar non-sibilant fricative" which is to say that the difference is that one of them is "voiced" whereas one isn't, in other word the voicebox vibrates for one of them and not for the other ..... not sure that helps though ....

In general, if English speakers treat them both as "th" then all will be well, the position of the sound in the word will make enough of a difference without having to think about it.
 
Last edited:

Pinza-C55

Member
Joined
23 May 2015
Messages
1,035
The problem is that some people are "offended" if you use the term "Christian name".

So you would think that "First Name " and "Second Name" or "Surname" would be sufficient.

Oh no.

Some cultures put the "Family Name" (ie. surname) first, and the "Christian" name second, ie. "Bloggs Joe" rather than "Joe Bloggs."

So to avoid "offending" anyone, some organisations use "Family Name" for surname, and "Given Name" for Christian Name.

Talk about treading on eggshells.

If you had changed your Christian name could you be pedantic and reply that you didn't have a Given Name ?
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
I'm maybe at a loose end: but -- re 29/4's posts above, about Icelandic: gentlemen, I'm impressed at your linguistic and orthographic learning. Concerning various languages' odd ways with the Roman alphabet: I'm rather taken with the Hawaiian language's using the fewest letters, out of all the languages in the world which employ the Roman alphabet. With Hawaiian, it's twelve letters (five vowels, seven consonants); plus two "punctuation marks" -- one of those, looking essentially like the apostrophe.

ETA: I've just noticed that I mentioned this matter of the Hawaiian alphabet, on "General Discussion" twenty-odd pages back. I really ought to get out more :s ...
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Related to a topic I've not long read elsewhere on the forum, I'll keep it brief to ensure the 'comedic' feel stays but I could go on much more:

I'd ban sarcasm. The world would be a far greater place without it
 

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,520
Location
Northern England
I would like to ban suitcases which are pushed along upright and sideways, rather than by tilting them and pulling them behind. I don't know why, it just irritates me.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
I would like to ban suitcases which are pushed along upright and sideways, rather than by tilting them and pulling them behind. I don't know why, it just irritates me.

I do that sometimes, but usually more when I'm in a queue. When walking the case is almost guaranteed to be getting dragged along behind me!
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,584
I would like to ban suitcases which are pushed along upright and sideways, rather than by tilting them and pulling them behind. I don't know why, it just irritates me.
The answer is it's easier. The suitcase I have has a short handle so keeps catching my feet so easier to wheel it on all four wheels. For some reason it takes less effort on four wheels too.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Related to a topic I've not long read elsewhere on the forum, I'll keep it brief to ensure the 'comedic' feel stays but I could go on much more:

I'd ban sarcasm. The world would be a far greater place without it
But this being the internet... I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not! ;) :lol:

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I would like to ban suitcases which are pushed along upright and sideways, rather than by tilting them and pulling them behind. I don't know why, it just irritates me.
I'd ban the ones that are dragged behind you. Especially if you decide to drag it through Leeds Station at rush hour. Those things are an absolute nightmare in a crowd as they're below your field of vision and end up being a trip hazard. The people dragging them seem oblivious to the chaos they leave in their wake!
 

Ediswan

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2012
Messages
3,459
Location
Stevenage
I'd ban the ones that are dragged behind you. Especially if you decide to drag it through Leeds Station at rush hour. Those things are an absolute nightmare in a crowd as they're below your field of vision and end up being a trip hazard. The people dragging them seem oblivious to the chaos they leave in their wake!
I used to occasionally drag a large black Peli case of test equipment through Liverpool Street in the rush hour. My colleague did notice a few near misses. So the case was decorated with reflective yellow tape. That seemed to improve the situation. Latterly, where time allowed, we took to sending and returning it by courier. Black was the only colour available in the required size.
 

Top