• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
A pretty minor one that is more a case of wondering at people’s lack of thought: expensively produced adverts that fail to give import seenant information. This can range from opening hours to what they actually offer.

There is one on the Wightlink screens at the moments that shows a new (I think) restaurant and bar. It does give its website, but no other practical information appears. It starts with something like ‘only fifteen minutes’ walk from the pier’, but doesn’t tell you which pier or even which town. I know that some on this forum will say, ’Ah, but you can always look at their website’, but that misses out a crucial stage in the process. You see the advert, think that looks like a nice place to eat, see that it is in Sludgemouth, think that you will be in or near Sludgemouth, so look it up or wander past when you are there. If you haven’t realised that you are nearby, you are much less likely to follow it up.
They'll not forget to mention it's been ''their passion'' to open this, and all that all food is ''locally sourced where possible'' which might mean it's just from the local branch of Iceland. Six months later it'll close, all passion spent. Sorry, seen this more often than I've had hot dinners!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
Temporary road warning signs e.g. Road Closed, Roadworks, Diversion etc etc which aren’t removed afterwards.

For example I live near to Cannock Chase in the Midlands. Almost a month ago were the Cannock Chase Live Forest Concerts. The roads in the vicinity had Advanced Warning, No Parking, Diversion signs put out. Many of these signs are either still up or lying in the grass verges.

Just who if anyone is responsible for these signs? The putting up and taking down, or probably more importantly the financial cost of having them made and simply forgetting about them afterwards? They must show up on an account sheet somewhere? Money literally thrown away.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,134
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Temporary road warning signs e.g. Road Closed, Roadworks, Diversion etc etc which aren’t removed afterwards.

For example I live near to Cannock Chase in the Midlands. Almost a month ago were the Cannock Chase Live Forest Concerts. The roads in the vicinity had Advanced Warning, No Parking, Diversion signs put out. Many of these signs are either still up or lying in the grass verges.

Just who if anyone is responsible for these signs? The putting up and taking down, or probably more importantly the financial cost of having them made and simply forgetting about them afterwards? They must show up on an account sheet somewhere? Money literally thrown away.
This also happens a lot in our part of the country....especially for temporary road works, gas and water main repairs, etc.

As far as I know, the contractors responsible for these works - having obtained temporary road closure (or partial closure) orders from the local authority - then sub-contract the necessary traffic control measures (temporary traffic lights, closure & diversion signs, cones, etc.) to another specialist company.

It would appear that communication between the two companies regarding the finishing of work is not always the best, with signs often being left in place days - or even weeks - after the end of the works.
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,719
This also happens a lot in our part of the country....especially for temporary road works, gas and water main repairs, etc.

As far as I know, the contractors responsible for these works - having obtained temporary road closure (or partial closure) orders from the local authority - then sub-contract the necessary traffic control measures (temporary traffic lights, closure & diversion signs, cones, etc.) to another specialist company.

It would appear that communication between the two companies regarding the finishing of work is not always the best, with signs often being left in place days - or even weeks - after the end of the works.
As a variation on the theme, sometimes the signs are removed or turned to face "the wrong way" but any associated temporary speed limit signs such as "50" on a "70" dual carriageway "A" road continue to be left in situ for no apparent justification.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
As a variation on the theme, sometimes the signs are removed or turned to face "the wrong way" but any associated temporary speed limit signs such as "50" on a "70" dual carriageway "A" road continue to be left in situ for no apparent justification.
My first speeding fine was from a camera that clocked me doing 61 on a 60 mph road when they stated there was a temporary restriction to 50 mph: if there had been any roadworks or signs, they'd certainly disappeared before the 01.40 time I got flashed on a clear, straight road, but I got fined anyway for being 1 mph over the limit, 3 points on my licence!
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,306
My first speeding fine was from a camera that clocked me doing 61 on a 60 mph road when they stated there was a temporary restriction to 50 mph: if there had been any roadworks or signs, they'd certainly disappeared before the 01.40 time I got flashed on a clear, straight road, but I got fined anyway for being 1 mph over the limit, 3 points on my licence!
Surely you got fined (and the 3 points) for being 11 mph over the temporary limit?
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Surely you got fined (and the 3 points) for being 11 mph over the temporary limit?
Yes, in practice, but not in fact. I was told I must appear at the Magistrates Court if I wished to contest the facts, which wasn't realistic for me, but, unofficially, I was told on the phone that the fine/points applied wouldn't be any greater than for a 59 mph reading, so I decided to put it down to experience and suck it up.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
How about the 2nd.... :)
The second was for 35 mph in a 30 mph zone. I used to travel to Plymouth every fortnight and the speed limit on the dual carriageway had been reduced from 40 mph between one trip and another, without any sign warning of the new order i.e. it was a fundraising job rather than a road safety one. I've not had one this century (so far!)
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Probably a minority thing nowadays, affecting only old-fashioned people such as myself, who enjoy sending postcards per snail-mail; especially from places to which I go on holiday (although postcards in great quantity and variety, are still made and ubiquitously on sale). I would ban the practice which too many postcard manufacturers engage in: of making the "blank" -- for message and address -- side of the card, with a slightly "laminated", over-smooth-and-glossy, surface; parts of which will often refuse to take writing in biro. One thus has to switch, "midstream", to some other kind of writing implement -- more than a little annoying, plus it tends to give what one has written, a slightly grotesque appearance. A prominent offender here, is the Isle of Wight-based firm of Nigh: specialising in cards (excellent in range, and picture / theme quailty) of I.O.W. scenes.
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,834
Showing people in the crowd on the big screens at sporting events. Invariably they start waving as soon as they realise, at which point the director cuts away. Pointless, other than to highlight that most people are so dumb that they gormlessly wave at the screen rather than the camera
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,737
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Maybe a trip to the opticians is in order..... :lol:
Mine was for 46mph in a 40mph dual carriageway. Guilty as zapped. What really surprised me, when I joined the online speed awareness course, was the other attendees were of a similar age (mid 50s) and demographic (professionals, mid- / senior level) to me. I'd naiively made an assumption I'd be in the company of 18 to 30 year old Saxo / Punto owners.
 
Last edited:

75A

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2021
Messages
2,053
Location
Ireland (ex Brighton 75A)
Got caught doing 81 in a 60 last Tuesday in Scotland. When I went to pay the £100 this morning I found that the registration number on the form was incorrect, so I might be lucky.
 

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
Got caught doing 81 in a 60 last Tuesday in Scotland. When I went to pay the £100 this morning I found that the registration number on the form was incorrect, so I might be lucky.
If you're rich & famous you may indeed be lucky. Otherwise probably not :'(
 

Trackman

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
4,312
Location
Lewisham
Got caught doing 81 in a 60 last Tuesday in Scotland. When I went to pay the £100 this morning I found that the registration number on the form was incorrect, so I might be lucky.
Did you challenge it?
 

75A

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2021
Messages
2,053
Location
Ireland (ex Brighton 75A)
I did and got nowhere, now paid the 100 pound fine, rather than the 300 pound ferry fee to go and challenge it in a Scottish Court. Bizarrely the 3 points don't go on my Northern Irish licence.
 

simonw

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2009
Messages
1,410
Mine was for 46mph in a 40mph dual carriageway. Guilty as zapped. What really surprised me, when I joined the online speed awareness course, was the other attendees were of a similar age (mid 50s) and demographic (professionals, mid- / senior level) to me. I'd naiively made an assumption I'd be in the company of 18 to 30 year old Saxo / Punto owners.
That’s what I thought it would be like too! At 53 I was the youngest on my course. (26mph in a 20 in case you’re wondering)
Maybe those offered the course don't include the younger members of society, or the older members of society are more likely to be able to attend.
 

Thirteen

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2021
Messages
1,903
Location
London
People who seem to have earphones and headphones permanently stuck to their ears. I've seen people on bikes with them and think it's dangerous because you need to aware of your surroundings and also it's rude to have them in if you're speaking to someone in say a shop.
 

al78

Established Member
Joined
7 Jan 2013
Messages
2,600
People who seem to have earphones and headphones permanently stuck to their ears. I've seen people on bikes with them and think it's dangerous because you need to aware of your surroundings and also it's rude to have them in if you're speaking to someone in say a shop.
I'm not convinced listening to music through headphones when cycling is any more dangerous than listening to the radio when driving, but I agree on the general suppression effect on spatial awareness of people, especially when they are gawping at their phone as well. If you can't multitask, either move to an unobstructive place and stop to use your phone or put it away.
 

Jimini

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2006
Messages
2,176
Location
Reading
I'm not convinced listening to music through headphones when cycling is any more dangerous than listening to the radio when driving, but I agree on the general suppression effect on spatial awareness of people, especially when they are gawping at their phone as well. If you can't multitask, either move to an unobstructive place and stop to use your phone or put it away.

Respectfully disagree chap, certainly in my experiences of commuting to work Tooting <> London Bridge and back. I’d much rather have full use of all my faculties when cycling up the A24 /A3. You’re just so much more vulnerable on a bike than in a car. Accident in a car = insurance excess payment. Accident on a bike = potential life changing injury, or worse.
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,584
I'm not convinced listening to music through headphones when cycling is any more dangerous than listening to the radio when driving, but I agree on the general suppression effect on spatial awareness of people, especially when they are gawping at their phone as well. If you can't multitask, either move to an unobstructive place and stop to use your phone or put it away.
I'd be surprised at that statement, in a car with radio I can easily hear another vehicle's horn or an emergency vehicle's siren; would very much doubt I'd hear that with ease with music playing directly into my ears?
 

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2005
Messages
2,751
Location
Staffordshire
People who make it some sort of personal mission to declare their dislike of sport (either a particular sport, or sport in general) and their displeasure at it being shown on any sort of "regular" TV channel - perish the though that it should replace EastEnders or MasterChef or some other such rubbish ;)
 

Top