• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
"Sex sells" has been a motto in the advertising industry since at least the 1950s.

I thought the same there. I keep seeing adverts for alcohol products lately, and so many of them are non-skippable. It doesn't really matter what time of day you're watching YouTube either, they come up all the time. The relevant companies must be missing their revenue peaks from the lockdowns!

As for the tennis players grunting, I have to agree that there's no need for it every couple of seconds. It's bound to happen sometimes, when pushing the body hard, but they appear to do it just for the attention!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,889
Chip and pin terminals now asking questions about if I’m happy with the service. *^%# off, I just want to pay.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,499
Location
Birmingham
As for the tennis players grunting, I have to agree that there's no need for it every couple of seconds. It's bound to happen sometimes, when pushing the body hard, but they appear to do it just for the attention!

I suspect some of the do it as an attempt to distract the opposing player.
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Though I have approximately zero interest in tennis; I seem to remember that that practice? -- mannerism? -- got much attention some decades ago: with especial focus on a particular player, one Monica Seles: whose "grunting at every stroke / hit", was a focus of obsession in the media for a while (her being an attractive young woman, likely had something to do with that). A spell thus, of unending media "burble" about Monica and her grunting; I recall one particular piece, a rather entertaining flight of fancy taking off at a tangent -- imagining, way back, grumpy conservative Neanderthals decrying the new, ultra-"woke" invention-type fad: of language, and having conversations. "If grunting was good enough for our forbears, it's good enough for us ... ".

I thought the same there. I keep seeing adverts for alcohol products lately, and so many of them are non-skippable. It doesn't really matter what time of day you're watching YouTube either, they come up all the time. The relevant companies must be missing their revenue peaks from the lockdowns!

As for the tennis players grunting, I have to agree that there's no need for it every couple of seconds. It's bound to happen sometimes, when pushing the body hard, but they appear to do it just for the attention!

I suspect some of the do it as an attempt to distract the opposing player.

I do recall Maria Sharapova not grunting, but doing ear piercing screams every time she went to hit the ball.

I am surprised that the spectators and the umpire did not suffer from hearing damage due to the volume of the shrieks and screams.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Supermarket self-service tills that argue the toss with you.

I had one the other day that said: "Are you sure this item costs £1.75?".
Completely flummoxed me, I had no idea, it was on the shopping list so I simply picked it off the shelf. There wasn't an option for "I think so".
Even the "till minder" assistant conceded he'd never seen a message like that before.
I said to him, "It's me, isn't it? The machine hates me."
He didn't demur ..... :lol:
I'd have replied to the message 'You tell me,mate!'

Machines hate me too (got to say it's often mutual.) Hospital car park yesterday, barrier at exit takes my paid-for ticket then resolutely refuses to open (second time running, separated by several months.) This time, after about two minutes it spews the ticket out, I re-insert it and the barrier opens. Last time, the man in an office on the adjoining car park had to come over, open the machine, get the ticket out, scratch his head metaphorically for five minutes and reluctantly open the barrier. This all took fifteen minutes, with frustrated motorists behind me, as there is only the one exit barrier.
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
People who post pictures of themselves/family/friends on their Tripadvisor reviews.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
Stealth Birds that eat the Strawberries growing in my garden.

Also; cats that live in my house and will happily catch rodents, birds etc. at any time to Present to me when I’m in a hurry to do something else than clear up the remains, but when encouraged to patrol the Strawberry growing area to deter birds, decide to go to sleep on my bed.

Also; cat hair. It appears to have a special property that attracts it to my clothes.
 

ABB125

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2016
Messages
4,354
Location
University of Birmingham
Stealth Birds that eat the Strawberries growing in my garden.

Also; cats that live in my house and will happily catch rodents, birds etc. at any time to Present to me when I’m in a hurry to do something else than clear up the remains, but when encouraged to patrol the Strawberry growing area to deter birds, decide to go to sleep on my bed.

Also; cat hair. It appears to have a special property that attracts it to my clothes.
Solution: get a vicious attack dog (eg: labradoodle) instead! :D
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
People who post reviews on Tripadvisor.

Why? They can be rather useful. You don't run a third-rate hotel business, do you?

Yes, there's often one unreasonable nutter, but I definitely think it's worth, when going somewhere you've not been before, reading through all the 1 and 2-star reviews and seeing if there's a common theme that might bother you. Just like with eBay sellers - I read the negative reviews and see if I see a common theme.
 

52290

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2015
Messages
732
Why? They can be rather useful. You don't run a third-rate hotel business, do you?

Yes, there's often one unreasonable nutter, but I definitely think it's worth, when going somewhere you've not been before, reading through all the 1 and 2-star reviews and seeing if there's a common theme that might bother you. Just like with eBay sellers - I read the negative reviews and see if I see a common theme.
No, I don't run anything, I just feel that they are open to corruption, both the gushingly favourable ones and the terrible hell on earth ones.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
No, I don't run anything, I just feel that they are open to corruption, both the gushingly favourable ones and the terrible hell on earth ones.

They are, which is why it is necessary to read them as a whole to see trends rather than to assume one bad review is actually truthful. I pretty much entirely ignore the good ones as as you say they're often shills, more interesting is the general theme of the bad ones. If there's something consistent in a large number of differently-dated bad ones, e.g. on something like cleanliness or staff unhelpfulness, it's usually true. Same with eBay/Amazon - very often a given supplier is generally fine but if a parcel gets lost they aren't any help, for instance - that would put me off.

It's also sometimes visible when a change of management has changed somewhere from generally good to generally bad, or when it's just been teething troubles.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Spellcheck refusing to allow you to spell a word the way you want, no matter how many times you type it in your way. Or adding a capital letter at the start (mine seems obsessed with May), adding an incorrect apostrophe (not just the greengrocer’s), changing the tense of a verb, etc.
 

Jimini

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2006
Messages
2,176
Location
Reading
Spellcheck refusing to allow you to spell a word the way you want, no matter how many times you type it in your way. Or adding a capital letter at the start (mine seems obsessed with May), adding an incorrect apostrophe (not just the greengrocer’s), changing the tense of a verb, etc.

Indeed. For example, my iPhone is a huge fan of the word “ducking”, it seems :lol:
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,351
Spellcheck refusing to allow you to spell a word the way you want, no matter how many times you type it in your way. Or adding a capital letter at the start (mine seems obsessed with May), adding an incorrect apostrophe (not just the greengrocer’s), changing the tense of a verb, etc.
That is why I disable spellcheckers everywhere they appear on my devices. They are particularly annoying when you try to type station or place names.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
That is why I disable spellcheckers everywhere they appear on my devices. They are particularly annoying when you try to type station or place names.

I usually disable spellchecker on my new phone whenever I get one, but Autocorrect and spellchecker software have actually been quite handy in a number of situations in the last year and a bit. Not always though, for some reason it didn't auto-correct 'quire' to 'quite' like it should have when my thumbs tapped the wrong buttons today, so sometimes I still have to manually change things.

When it auto-capitalises things when I don't want that to happen though, that annoys me.
 

Whistler40145

Established Member
Joined
30 Apr 2010
Messages
6,149
Location
Lancashire
Females with caked on makeup, false eyelashes that resemble a yard brush and eyebrows that look like some furry creature has stopped for a rest

Also, I find it totally insincere when some males say "Cheers Pal or Cheers Mate" when I've never seen you before in my lifetime
 

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Joined
23 Apr 2022
Messages
1,090
Location
London
I have no problem with concrete as a structural material, but it should be banned as a finish, unless it's the Snowcrete that they used in the Perivale Hoover building.

Edit: actually, some of the textured concrete on the Elizabeth Line is okay, so I suppose it is expanses of smooth concrete that should be banned.
 
Last edited:

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,690
Location
Solihull
Also, I find it totally insincere when some males say "Cheers Pal or Cheers Mate" when I've never seen you before in my lifetime
Dave Allan was great on this, we call people we are about to fight with or dislike "mate" or "pal" but our actual friends we call b*****d :lol:
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
I say, “Cheers,” as I get off the bus. Even though they are just doing the job that they are being paid for, rather than a gratuitous good deed, I feel acknowledgement is reasonable. (*) However, something more formal, like, “Thank you, driver,” can sound a bit patronising if you get the tone wrong.

I never call anyone mate or pal: it is sloppy if they are and overly familiar if they aren’t. Worse, they might think they are your pal. Similarly, if they say it to me my feeling is, “Who are they to decide unilaterally that they are my pal or mate?”

* - Nobody ever said, “Thank you, Mr Signalman, for signalling my train.” It was, “Why don’t you ******** get a ******** move on. I’m in a ******* hurry, you lazy ****.”
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
Chip and pin terminals now asking questions about if I’m happy with the service. *^%# off, I just want to pay.
Similar with upselling and charity donation requests on self service machines in restaurants and supermarkets.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,889
Similar with upselling and charity donation requests on self service machines in restaurants and supermarkets.
Agreed! The implementation of this seems to have been nicely timed to round up your spend just as we hit a cost of living crisis.
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
Similar with upselling and charity donation requests on self service machines in restaurants and supermarkets.
I'm so wary now of these. I do give to charities but charities of my choice.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
It does seem to be creeping that a number of organisations seem to be moving towards the ‘public shaming’ method, or maybe I have just been unlucky with those I have dealt with. The ‘you must be a cruel person for not giving money to save the lesser-spotted eight-legged Patagonian sloth’ method, with the vague threat that they will speak loud enough for those around you to hear and be shocked. It is not common, but a decade or so ago it was so rare that you could put it down to an individual obsessive. But then, a few weeks ago I had the opposite: a chap giving me an earful for putting a jar of jam in the food bank donations basket. (‘Encouraging layabouts to live off others and not get themselves a job...’ I didn’t hear much as I walked off.)
 

Top