• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Combining ad hoc ticket to weekly season ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodian

New Member
Joined
7 Nov 2014
Messages
3
Hello,

I am trying to find out if it is valid to travel from Chichester to Brighton via Three Bridges, using my weekly season ticket from Chichester to Brighton.

The routeing checker seemed to crash.

The reason I want to test this is because occasionally I have to travel to London, rather than going to work in Brighton. It seems fair to me that I buy a ticket from the closest station to London, which is valid on the Chichester to Brighton ticket.

Using the logic of an indirect route, but not going back on myself, Three Bridges seems to be that station.

However, the online National Rail site suggests a ticket price of just over £12 for the direct route, and over £24 for the Three Bridges route - requiring two tickets.

I have struggled to use the maps etc., and was hopeful that this website would help me work it out. I think maps LP, CW and LB may be relevant. I also noticed that the Yellow Pages includes an entry for Brockenhurst (no where near where I want to go) and Three Bridges does refer to more than one of relavant maps, which may or may not be useful.

I do not want to fiddle my fare, but I feel I am paying twice if I have to pay a fare from Barnham to London as well as my ticket to Brighton.

Thank you
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
I don't think Chichester to Brighton is valid by any other route than the direct Coastway route.

Ford Group is the only associated routeing point for Chichester that passes fares check for this journey, so only map CW applies. Why do you think LP, CW and LB may be relevant?
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,630
Location
Birmingham
bb21 is correct. Chichester - Brighton is not valid via Three Bridges.
Chichester is associated with Ford Group and Havant.
Brighton is a member of Brighton Group.

Havant fails the fares check but Ford passes it. Therefore CW is the only appropriate map, which necessitates travel via Worthing.

Therefore, the only thing I can suggest is a season from Balcombe to Chichester, which costs an extra £12.30 per week but permits travel via either Brighton or Three Bridges.
 

OwlMan

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
3,206
I suggest to Merstham (the same season ticket fare as Balcombe) as the London fare is cheaper
 

Rodian

New Member
Joined
7 Nov 2014
Messages
3
I appreciate your help and advice. When I know in advance that I will be travelling to London, I will buy the different ticket.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top