• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Combined NR / Metrolink season tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacro

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2010
Messages
383
So my wife has a new job and we're moving house, I'm confused by the differing ticket systems in Manchester!

We're living in Sale and she'll be travelling to Knutsford each day. I can see BRFares showing a Knutsford - Sale MLink ticket for 40.90 a week, I assume that's the best choice (seems cheaper than splitting at Altrincham).

Is this something I can buy at any station? (E.g. Knutsford, Altrincham), or does it have to be an NR or Metrolink only thing?

I'm guessing as that only one of the stations is inside the Greater Manchester area then it's not valid for free weekend/bank holiday travel (and it's not really worth splitting just for that).

Anyone got any useful advice? Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,357
Location
Bolton
Yep, that can be bought at a ticket office as per any other 7DS. May as well get Dane Road as its the same price for one extra stop.
 

Sacro

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2010
Messages
383
Thanks Starmill, we'll be between Sale and Brooklands however that extra validity might come in useful. Are there issues with splitting tickets if we wanted to go into Manchester? Can she just get a Dane Road to Piccadilly (for example)?

Also is there a monthly available, can't seem to see one on National Rail.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Thanks Starmill, we'll be between Sale and Brooklands however that extra validity might come in useful. Are there issues with splitting tickets if we wanted to go into Manchester? Can she just get a Dane Road to Piccadilly (for example)?

Also is there a monthly available, can't seem to see one on National Rail.

Metrolink stops generally only have ticket machines, so split ticketing doesn't work quite the same way for them.

A monthly ticket for Knutsford-Dane Road Mlink is available from a railway ticket office, as would be a year or anything in between. A month would be 3.84 times the weekly cost and a yearly is 40 times the cost.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,357
Location
Bolton
Dane Road - City Zone tickets cost the same as Sale - City Zone tickets, so there would be no saving in this case. However, in the event that there were you would usually need to get off the tram at the split point, buy a ticket and then wait for the next one. Not a huge problem for a 6 minute service but I'd advise emailing them to ask for advice if this ever comes up. Here though it does not.
 

Sacro

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2010
Messages
383
Thanks hairyhandedfool and Starmill

Yeah, I thought that with it being zonal. Given she'll use Brooklands to get to work, and possibly Sale on the way home (so she can go via the shops!) we'll probably just get it to Sale, going into Manchester itself we'll probably go via Sale, (though presumably Brooklands to City Zone is the same cost too).

Other question, if I get a job in the centre of Manchester, is there a season ticket that covers me on trams and buses (of one or more companies) or is it all separate? I have the getmethere app but that's not really giving me answers!
 

Ed92uk

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2016
Messages
21
Other question, if I get a job in the centre of Manchester, is there a season ticket that covers me on trams and buses (of one or more companies) or is it all separate? I have the getmethere app but that's not really giving me answers!

I regularly travel to Manchester and then buy a daily ticket for bus and tram which is £6.70 for the whole network. You buy these on the metro link machines

I believe these are "System One Travelcards", they do sell a train version as well but unsure if they sell season tickets
 

cool110

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
847
Location
Preston
There is no season ticket that covers bus and tram, however if your train or tram season ticket meets a minimum value you can buy the Buscard Extra.
 

Rail Ranger

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2014
Messages
1,171
Dane Road - City Zone tickets cost the same as Sale - City Zone tickets, so there would be no saving in this case. However, in the event that there were you would usually need to get off the tram at the split point, buy a ticket and then wait for the next one. Not a huge problem for a 6 minute service but I'd advise emailing them to ask for advice if this ever comes up. Here though it does not.

If you use the GetMeThere App to buy your Metrolink tickets you would not need to get off the tram.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top