Deep inhale...
Totally agree. This is certainly something I can't quite grasp. This incident should not have happened. There was a series of unfortunate events that led to the collision but the Driver should have stopped short.
Not sure I agree with this part. I see this as more a series of assumptions that were incorrect. Route knowledge appears lacking as he had to count the platforms rather than knowing he was routes into 6 and the HST.
Training I'm not so sure on. I know the requirements that are needed (at least my TOC) and that there are many opportunities that require permissive working. He assumed the location of where he was expected to stop and drove accordingly. He aimed for a place that he assumed he was going to stop at rather than going at caution.
The only defence of the Driver I can think of is that it takes a few seconds to realise what is about to happen. When this happened to me at Victoria I came round the corner into the platform and the platform was occupied with a unit I wasn't expecting to be there (much longer than advised)
My mindset was :
'Are you forking kidding me..'
'seriously signaller wtf..'
'ahh crap this is gonna end badly..'
'better make an announcement'
Only because I was at caution did I manage to stop. Its very easy to doubt when your new and you are reliant on training and 'normal' workings. Its also very easy to say out of experience and I have no doubt that this Driver will change his approach to permissive working.
The illustration on page 12 shows what P15 signal was showing, white dots and a number 6. It is perfectly clear from that, what platform the driver is taking the train into.
Paragraph 33 says what is expected of the driver.
Last edited: