• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Collecting Tickets at Northern Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.K.TAYLOR

Member
Joined
28 Apr 2014
Messages
781
So now I’m lost… Can these Northern £1 now be picked up at ANY machine - I have a few coming up and given they start at Sheffield I’m not in a position to go anywhere near a Northern machine beforehand.
i picked up majority of my tickets at Oxford 3 tickets were locked Northern now say i have to get from a northern TVM but i am sure they can be got from any TVM is not Sheffield a Northern Station
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,520
Location
Northern England
i picked up majority of my tickets at Oxford 3 tickets were locked Northern now say i have to get from a northern TVM but i am sure they can be got from any TVM is not Sheffield a Northern Station
Some punctuation might be helpful in that post, I had to read it a few times to understand what you meant!

In answer to your question, Sheffield station is managed by East Midlands not Northern.
 

Skymonster

Established Member
Joined
7 Feb 2012
Messages
2,070
i picked up majority of my tickets at Oxford 3 tickets were locked Northern now say i have to get from a northern TVM but i am sure they can be got from any TVM is not Sheffield a Northern Station
Thanks…. Unfortunately Sheffield is EMR not Northern, so I’m still unsure - I really don’t want to rock up at Sheffield (having travelled on normal fares from Derby) and find I can’t get my tickets. What a fiasco!
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,306
Location
South West London
Thanks…. Unfortunately Sheffield is EMR not Northern, so I’m still unsure - I really don’t want to rock up at Sheffield (having travelled on normal fares from Derby) and find I can’t get my tickets. What a fiasco!

Meadowhall is a short hop of five or six minutes, and is a Northern station. The TVMs are at the top of Platform Two.
 

Skymonster

Established Member
Joined
7 Feb 2012
Messages
2,070
Meadowhall is a short hop of five or six minutes, and is a Northern station. The TVMs are at the top of Platform Two.
That’s an interesting idea, but not practical from a time respective as I will start in Derby and plan on changing onto a £1 Northern service at Sheffield with around a 20 minute connection (unless Northern will hold my onwards journey at Meadowhall while I hop off and collect the tickets! And even that doesn’t work with the trip I have that leaves Sheffield for Manchester). All I need is for Northern to honour the contract we have that stipulates I collect tickets at Sheffield But that seems far from clear right now.
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,306
Location
South West London
That’s an interesting idea, but not practical from a time respective as I will start in Derby and plan on changing onto a £1 Northern service at Sheffield with around a 20 minute connection (unless Northern will hold my onwards journey at Meadowhall while I hop off and collect the tickets! And even that doesn’t work with the trip I have that leaves Sheffield for Manchester). All I need is for Northern to honour the contract we have that stipulates I collect tickets at Sheffield But that seems far from clear right now.

You could always try collecting at Derby or Sheffield, then if not, take a photo of the TVM to help your case. It seems to be a well-documented issue so hopefully the guard will show discretion.

If you have ample time to change at Piccadilly, there’s two Northern TVMs to the left of the ticket office. Not sure if the Avanti ticket machines have been updated as they provide the rest of the TVMs there.
 

Skymonster

Established Member
Joined
7 Feb 2012
Messages
2,070
You could always try collecting at Derby or Sheffield, then if not, take a photo of the TVM to help your case. It seems to be a well-documented issue so hopefully the guard will show discretion.
Thanks, and for someone who is a bit savvy to the way things work it’s probably a way forward (albeit not guaranteed). However, for Jed Clampett and his family who isn’t used to the way the railway works but is off for a cheap day out, the refusal of a machine to issue a ticket he expected to pick up with no fuss just before boarding a train (but can’t - possibly leading to missing said train) will hardly endear him to the railway - which I think was one of the objectives of the sale. I’d prefer to regard it as incompetence on Northern’s part - offer a great deal and then fail to provide a robust method of fulfilament.
 

saunterlong

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2021
Messages
6
Location
Manchester
Thanks, and for someone who is a bit savvy to the way things work it’s probably a way forward (albeit not guaranteed). However, for Jed Clampett and his family who isn’t used to the way the railway works but is off for a cheap day out, the refusal of a machine to issue a ticket he expected to pick up with no fuss just before boarding a train (but can’t - possibly leading to missing said train) will hardly endear him to the railway - which I think was one of the objectives of the sale. I’d prefer to regard it as incompetence on Northern’s part - offer a great deal and then fail to provide a robust method of fulfilament.
I agree with you, it's very annoying.
Perhaps give them a ring? - 08002006060
 

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,730
So now I’m lost… Can these Northern £1 now be picked up at ANY machine - I have a few coming up and given they start at Sheffield I’m not in a position to go anywhere near a Northern machine beforehand.
I finally managed to collect my Northern £1 tickets today from the Northern ticket machines at the Southern entrance barrier at Leeds. AFAIK the East Midlands ones at Sheffield station won't print the Northern £1 tickets, instead reporting a "technical error" - at least that was the case when I tried over the weekend just gone.
 

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2017
Messages
2,959
I finally managed to collect my Northern £1 tickets today from the Northern ticket machines at the Southern entrance barrier at Leeds. AFAIK the East Midlands ones at Sheffield station won't print the Northern £1 tickets, instead reporting a "technical error" - at least that was the case when I tried over the weekend just gone.

A masterclass from Northern in enticing people back to rail travel...
 

Traintripper

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2018
Messages
51
Morning all. I read all about the trouble collecting the Northern £1 offer tickets. I left it until yesterday to pick mine up in Shropshire. I also couldn't get any to print, not even a receipt. I did genuinely think this would have been resolved by now. What is my best course of action? I prefer not to leave it to chance on the day at Manchester Piccadilly where my Northern trip begins? Many thanks
 

D.K.TAYLOR

Member
Joined
28 Apr 2014
Messages
781
I also had problems with retrieving Flash tickets collecting some from Oxford about 10 days ago.
3 tickets were like yours locked tried various TVMs no luck phoned customer services very helpful.
They informed me they were locked only to Northern TVMs and only be collected by those.
I tried again at my local WM station on Friday at the ticket office and behold they printed out OK.
I would contact customer services though l should imagine they have had numerous calls on this subject
hope this helps.
 

Narik

New Member
Joined
17 Aug 2021
Messages
3
Location
Middlesbrough
Is it just certain TOCs/stations? I collected some at the machine in Hull during the week no problem. (TPE I think).
 

Traintripper

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2018
Messages
51
I spoke to their twitter account last night, and they said just pick up on the day from Manchester Piccadilly. Im not desperately impressed to be honest, I'm travelling with my elderly parents and will have just less than 20 mins to pick them up. I'd much rather be organised and have the tickets in my hand prior to the day. As I live 50 miles south of Manchester that's not going to happen unfortunately. We'll see how it pans out on the day
 

mirodo

Member
Joined
7 Nov 2011
Messages
649
I tried to collect mine at East Croydon a couple of weeks ago and got an error. Tried again at London Bridge a couple of days later and everything worked.
 

syorksdeano

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2011
Messages
780
It’s an EMR one, along with a vending machine and a photo booth.

Unless it’s changed in the last month, Sheffield has no Northern TVMs.
I couldn't quite remember. It used to have one as I used it before, but that was well over a year ago
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top