• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Collecting from a TVM without the same card used to pay for ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,489
Location
London
As an aside, when a ticket is setup for TOD collection, there are multiple options, though only two are in regular use: Same card, any RSP approved card or any magstripe card (which includes Nectar cards and the like). It's also possible to set them up for collection from a ticket office rather than a TVM.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
Isn't the surname embossed on the card anyway in most cases? ;)

Yes, that is what I read and type in. Then it waits about 30 seconds, says NOPE, and I override it, and the name prints just as "MR CUSTOMER" which is very helpful.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As an aside, when a ticket is setup for TOD collection, there are multiple options, though only two are in regular use: Same card, any RSP approved card or any magstripe card (which includes Nectar cards and the like). It's also possible to set them up for collection from a ticket office rather than a TVM.

There is a difference between ones set up for ticket office collection and TVM collection? Quite a few people pick up ones from the ticket office here that quite clearly say to be picked up at a TVM.

And I always wondered why, when deferring transactions myself (i.e. SILKs), it says option 1 - Payment card and option 3 - Any card, always wondered what number 2 was ;)
 

talldave

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2013
Messages
2,687
.....This is due to data protection (so you can't just pick up a card off the floor and pick up all the tickets). .....

Are you sure it's not Health and Safety? I only ask because "data protection" is used incorrectly as an excuse for red tape almost as frequently as the Health and Safety obsession that swept through the UK during President Blair's reign.

Surely "security", "theft" and "fraud prevention" would be more appropriate?
 

beeza1

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2012
Messages
384
The TPXpress TVM's at Huddersfield didn't always ask for a card,the booking reference number was all you needed to collect your tickets, don't know if that's still the case though.
 

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2011
Messages
3,042
Location
Groningen
As an aside, when a ticket is setup for TOD collection, there are multiple options, though only two are in regular use: Same card, any RSP approved card or any magstripe card (which includes Nectar cards and the like). It's also possible to set them up for collection from a ticket office rather than a TVM.

I've always been able to pick up any-card tickets with a Nectar card, but never my Clubcard or building access swipecard
 

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
I've always been able to pick up any-card tickets with a Nectar card, but never my Clubcard or building access swipecard
Many years ago I successfully used a Tesco Ireland Clubcard to collect tickets from a GNER/NXEC TVM. I just wanted to see if it would work or not!
 

talldave

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2013
Messages
2,687
Many years ago I successfully used a Tesco Ireland Clubcard to collect tickets from a GNER/NXEC TVM. I just wanted to see if it would work or not!

Presumably it has to be something with a chip as a minimum nowadays?
 

cool110

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
847
Location
Preston
Presumably it has to be something with a chip as a minimum nowadays?

Don't forget that some countries still are still using cards without chips (most notably the US), so only accepting chip cards is discrimination against people from those countries which the card schemes don't allow.
 

talldave

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2013
Messages
2,687
Don't forget that some countries still are still using cards without chips (most notably the US), so only accepting chip cards is discrimination against people from those countries which the card schemes don't allow.

Yes, but I was simply basing my comment on the fact that the card slots in the machine don't appear to swallow the card sufficiently to read the magstripe? However, I could be wrong!
 

cool110

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
847
Location
Preston
Yes, but I was simply basing my comment on the fact that the card slots in the machine don't appear to swallow the card sufficiently to read the magstripe? However, I could be wrong!

You might have noticed that the gap for you to pull the card out from isn't in the middle of the slot. This is because the magstripe reader is in the thicker side on the right, so even though it appears to stick out it has read it.
 

talldave

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2013
Messages
2,687
You might have noticed that the gap for you to pull the card out from isn't in the middle of the slot. This is because the magstripe reader is in the thicker side on the right, so even though it appears to stick out it has read it.

Thanks for confirming that. I might try something esoteric in a Southeastern machine when I'm not in a hurry, just to see if it's telling lies about needing the payment card.
 

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,099
The TPXpress TVM's at Huddersfield didn't always ask for a card,the booking reference number was all you needed to collect your tickets, don't know if that's still the case though.

You need a card (any card) to even get into the collection database on Huddersfield's machines (like most others). As soon as you select 'collect tickets' it asks you to insert a card.
 

beeza1

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2012
Messages
384
You need a card (any card) to even get into the collection database on Huddersfield's machines (like most others). As soon as you select 'collect tickets' it asks you to insert a card.

You are correct, my mistake, I must be getting old! what I should have posted was that the machine didn't always ask you for the reference number, but issued the tickets after verifying your card, sorry for any misunderstanding.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,658
Location
Merseyside
Thanks for all your advise on this guys following my original post on this thread. As advised on here, my friend brought a voucher at East Coast and then booked the ticket online using that. He's sent me the booking reference number for TOD. I'm going to collect it ahead of time though but I'm sure it will be fine :) Thanks again for the help and advise!
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
Surely "security", "theft" and "fraud prevention" would be more appropriate?

If you count someone else's tickets as data then I guess it is data protection ;)

I was told data protection. Possibly as if you find a card and search for all tickets on that card you can find out their name and address and personal details as well as the obvious stealing their tickets!
 

talldave

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2013
Messages
2,687
If you count someone else's tickets as data then I guess it is data protection ;)

I was told data protection. Possibly as if you find a card and search for all tickets on that card you can find out their name and address and personal details as well as the obvious stealing their tickets!

I would hope that only an authorised employee of the TOC I booked with has access to my address etc?
 

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
If they aren't posting my tickets, then they have no need for my address anyway. It should go the same way as the card details once the transaction is finished.
 

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,048
Location
Yorkshire
If they aren't posting my tickets, then they have no need for my address anyway. It should go the same way as the card details once the transaction is finished.

That would be written to a CRM system?
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,947
Location
Mold, Clwyd
This feels like the right place to ask if any ATMs can print a bunch of tickets booked in the same transaction?
I booked 4 separate return walk-on tickets last week for a journey from Wrexham to London, involving side trips.
I booked on the ATW site in a single transaction for pickup from the ATM at Wrexham General (an S&B machine).
The booking process gave me 4 separate 8-character booking codes.
On the day, I somehow expected all the tickets to be printed at once, from the first booking code.
Instead, I had to cycle round the process of inputting the 4 booking codes (and the same ID card) separately, each time ending up with 3 bits of card (2 travel tickets and a collection receipt).
All told, I walked a way with 14 pieces of card (there were 2 reservations as well!), and the transaction took ages.
Are there any TOCs/ATMs where all this is done with one booking code?

Yet another question: why are return tickets not issued as one piece of card?
The old railway used to add the words "And Back" on the single and saved everybody a lot of fuss.
Multiple-journey Seasons and Rovers/Rangers all work on one piece of card. Why not returns?
 

button_boxer

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
1,271
This feels like the right place to ask if any ATMs can print a bunch of tickets booked in the same transaction?

I've generally found that if you book a bunch of tickets in one transaction on a WebTIS site like VTEC then it puts them all under one collection reference, but on a trainline-powered site like EMT you get a separate reference for each. That may have changed recently though.
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
I would hope that only an authorised employee of the TOC I booked with has access to my address etc?

Well any ticket office staff (from a station that does ToD) could (assuming the system works the same way as it does here) type in any ToD reference and find the name, address, telephone number that was used to book it (as well as what trains they selected, if any, during the booking process). I do not know how long the data is retained on the system for, but it is there. Useful when people have left tickets behind in machines etc, but could be misused (if they somehow found out the ToD reference from someone and then misused their personal information). But bearing in mind the responsibilities of ticket office staff, if they were to misuse the data that would be a very big mistake and a big breach of the trustworthiness you must have to be a ticket office clerk, due to the systems, money, machines etc involved. So the chance is very slim.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That would be written to a CRM system?

Remember only the last 4 digits of the card number, and possibly the expiry date and card type, are written.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yet another question: why are return tickets not issued as one piece of card?
The old railway used to add the words "And Back" on the single and saved everybody a lot of fuss.
Multiple-journey Seasons and Rovers/Rangers all work on one piece of card. Why not returns?

As you've said yourself, multiple journey seasons are valid for unlimited journeys. Rovers are valid for unlimited journeys. For a ticket valid for one journey there, and one journey back, it is a lot easier to take away the outward ticket at the end of that journey, and take away the return at the end of that journey, otherwise you could potentially go up and down each day, or hand it to someone else when you get back to your home station etc...
 

JaJaWa

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2013
Messages
1,734
Location
⠀
Southern website purchase, collect from Southern machine - machine asks for any card.
Southern website purchase, collect from Southeastern machine - machine asks for card used for payment.

I've not yet been brave enough to try the wrong card in a Southeastern machine - they are nerve rackingly lethargic when everything's going ok. Are they the slowest?

That's odd, the email from Southern specifically says "To collect your tickets you can use any credit/debit card and your ticket booking reference. Tickets cannot be issued without both of these items."
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,579
That's odd, the email from Southern specifically says "To collect your tickets you can use any credit/debit card and your ticket booking reference. Tickets cannot be issued without both of these items."
I believe there is a difference between the set up of the programme the customer interacts with at the TVM and what the system would actually accept. A Southeastern TVM would accept any card for a booking that has been set for any card collection.

TP
 

talldave

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2013
Messages
2,687
Southern website purchase, collect from Southern machine - machine asks for any card.
Southern website purchase, collect from Southeastern machine - machine asks for card used for payment.

I've not yet been brave enough to try the wrong card in a Southeastern machine - they are nerve rackingly lethargic when everything's going ok. Are they the slowest?

Yesterday I took the opportunity to try a card that wasn't used for payment on the Southern website in the Southeastern machine that was specifically asking for the payment card - it worked fine. So the text on the Southeastern machine is wrong.
 

JaJaWa

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2013
Messages
1,734
Location
⠀
Yesterday I took the opportunity to try a card that wasn't used for payment on the Southern website in the Southeastern machine that was specifically asking for the payment card - it worked fine. So the text on the Southeastern machine is wrong.

It only seems to be the 'Parkeon' manufactured machines that do always insist on using the same card.

I think on the others the text is just set to say that.
 

talldave

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2013
Messages
2,687
It only seems to be the 'Parkeon' manufactured machines that do always insist on using the same card.

I think on the others the text is just set to say that.

That's what I call sloppy programming. I'll ask Southeastern to change it :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top