• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cold weather clothing supplied by BR in '60s/'70s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpethcurve

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2012
Messages
169
Asking for a friend. (Really!)

Were footplate/cab crews expected to get their own overcoats, boots, head wear, gloves etc.,

Were any locos noisy enough to require ear defenders, and were any used in that relatively unenlightened era?

Many Thanks and HNY!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,238
Asking for a friend. (Really!)

Were footplate/cab crews expected to get their own overcoats, boots, head wear, gloves etc.,

Were any locos noisy enough to require ear defenders, and were any used in that relatively unenlightened era?

Many Thanks and HNY!
I do not recall any special winter equipment being issued to my father who was footplate 1947-1978.

Many diesel locos were noisy enough to require ear defenders, these were (I think) rarely or never supplied*, indeed my father's career ended because of hearing loss probably caused by his working environment.

* To footplate staff; I seem to recall they were available to depot staff.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,050
Location
Up the creek
I can only speak for the late 1970s on, but I don’t think that things had changed much. All grades that might need them would be issued with a great coat and (I think it was and, not or) a heavy duty mac. Gloves, overalls, etc. would be issued to those that needed them. Boots were generally not issued, but there was a subsidised system to allow you to buy reinforced work boots: I don’t know when this started or if it applied to all grades. Protective headwear and ear defenders would probably be issued to those that required them, but I reckon that in the sixties the standards (everywhere) were lower; drivers probably wouldn’t qualify, only a limited number of staff operating heavy machinery would.
 

Acathater

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2025
Messages
765
Location
NorthWest
I have a BR issued heavy jacket which I believe was probably footplate staff or guard issue. It dates from the 1960s or earlier
It's a heavy donkey-style jacket, black thick though good quality wool material, double breasted with flying lapels. Plain black buttons. No shoulder reinforcement or waterproofing so probably not intended for outside labourers. Woollen black/white herringbone lining
It came from someone who worked at Yeovil Town, I believe as a driver though that is uncertain
 

Spartacus

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2009
Messages
3,851
The other half's tight in lieu of long johns was, I'm told, popular!
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,140
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
When I was a guard (1983-88) I was issued with a good quality heavy woollen overcoat. This was invaluable when working on the extremely draughty ex-London Underground Standard stock - class 485/486 - on the Isle of Wight in Winter, with an Easterly gale blowing through the Channel!

From about 1989 onwards - as part of the BR Corporate Collection - train crew were issued with a padded sleeveless gilet to wear under their jackets in Winter.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top