• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Colas Rail tamper OTM

Jason.wilband

Member
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
6
Hi all

Recently had an interview with Colas for a OTM position but missed out on experience. I’m gutted as loved the sound of it all! Thinking back over the interview, the only thing I think that let me down was hydraulics. Does anyone on here work, or have worked for Colas doing the same role? Really keen to improve my chances, even if it means putting myself through a hydraulics course! But with a course costing between £800-£1600 I can afford to waste that kind of money.

Really appreciate any pointers! Thank you
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

officewalla

Member
Joined
22 Apr 2019
Messages
218
Location
South of England
Before spending money why not ask for interview feedback? You may be correct in your assumption but equally you may be way off the mark. If it was something else then put the money to something that would be more useful.
 

Jason.wilband

Member
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
6
Before spending money why not ask for interview feedback? You may be correct in your assumption but equally you may be way off the mark. If it was something else then put the money to something that would be more useful.
I’m awaiting feedback but I do fear that they don’t want to put themselves in a situation where they offer advise which leaves them open to complaints (which I am not that kind of person) but do you get what I mean. Hopefully I will hear back. They did say will keep me on record. Just want to come back stronger.
 

Ploughman

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
3,107
Location
Near where the 3 ridings meet
You need more than just hydraulics.
An understanding of Electronics, Pneumatics and any of the potential methods of interaction between each system.

And that is before any use of computer systems like ALC for design work.
 

officewalla

Member
Joined
22 Apr 2019
Messages
218
Location
South of England
I’m awaiting feedback but I do fear that they don’t want to put themselves in a situation where they offer advise which leaves them open to complaints (which I am not that kind of person) but do you get what I mean. Hopefully I will hear back. They did say will keep me on record. Just want to come back stronger.
Feedback and advice are completely different beasts. Ask for feedback and explain that you would want to be a stronger candidate if invited back and that you have taken the feedback on board.
 

Jason.wilband

Member
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
6
You need more than just hydraulics.
An understanding of Electronics, Pneumatics and any of the potential methods of interaction between each system.

And that is before any use of computer systems like ALC for design work.
I have 12 years experience in refrigeration control systems so would quickly pick up that side. Just the hydraulic and pneumatic side of things is my weakness, although I work with pressures everyday. I am finding looking at courses in general as very expensive!! Thank you for your response

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Feedback and advice are completely different beasts. Ask for feedback and explain that you would want to be a stronger candidate if invited back and that you have taken the feedback on board.
I have requested from the person who interviewed me but heard nothing as of yet. Would like to think I would get a response by now. Fingers crossed. Can’t bring myself to email again and sound pushy
 

jnelds

New Member
Joined
4 Jun 2026
Messages
1
Location
Herne Bay
You need more than just hydraulics.
An understanding of Electronics, Pneumatics and any of the potential methods of interaction between each system.

And that is before any use of computer systems like ALC for design work.
Ploughman you seem really knowledgeable regarding tamping & I wonder if you can help me please?

I am anticipating vacancies for tamper operators to go live soon with my company, and have been told to brush up on my knowledge of ALC and just general train driving / tamper driving tips. Do you have any material or links which you could direct me to?

Thanks
 

samuel jackson

New Member
Joined
6 Jul 2022
Messages
4
Location
Attleborough
They're getting more 09s which are more complex but most of Colas fleet is older, hydraulics are key as that's what tends to go wrong. Most of the lads I know on that contract are young, ex military or have a lot of years served. Several ppl I know have done an NVQ L3 before they left the Army etc. which served them well at getting in on fitter/op roles. Several more were automotive, mechanics or bus fitters.
 

Top