• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coaches used by "Platform 1" at Huddersfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,185
Not sure whether this belongs under rolling stock or preservation, but I see that one of the winners of the "Transform a Pacer" competition is the "Platform 1" men's mental health charity, which is based in the former Platform 1 at Huddersfield station.

According to the story at https://aboutmanchester.co.uk/winners-announced-of-the-transform-a-pacer-competition/ and https://communityrail.org.uk/pacer-competition-winners/ "Platform 1" already uses a number of withdrawn rail vehicles (it refers to vehicles in the plural, implying that they have more than one coach). However, the only such vehicle listed on the vehicle survey on the Vintage Carriages Trust website as being based at Huddersfield is Mark 1 TSO 4325. I'm not aware of any other coaches being based there, and on Google Earth there only appears to be one coach stabled there.

The VCT site has coach 4325 as being owned by the National Children's Centre. Does anyone know if this is still the case or if it now belongs to "Platform 1", and which other vehicles "Platform 1" also owns (and whether they are based at Huddersfield station or elsewhere)?

According to Google Maps the National Children's Centre is located the other side of the track from coach 4325, so I'm guessing that the NCC might own it but maybe "Platform 1" uses it.

There is also a now closed thread on coach 4325 at https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/static-mk1-at-huddersfield.111120/
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

modernrail

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2015
Messages
1,462
As a former resident of Huddersfield, born and bred, I consider this to be a particularly sick joke. I remember riding on a Pacer as a child with my Mum to see my Aunty in Sheffield via the Penisstone line when they swapped the previous generation of DMU for the tin can lorry. My Mum asked me what I thought of it and I told her it can't be a real train as it bounces all over the place and looks like a bus. She laughed and agreed it didn't have the atmosphere of the old one. Mum is very into atmospheres.

The whole thing is so bizarre...we are getting rid of the hated Pacers....would you like one? A Eurostar carriage would have been loads better for this super charity.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top