• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coaches and trucks run by the same company?

Magrar

On Moderation
Joined
20 Jun 2026
Messages
195
Location
Reading
I noticed recently that Cooper's of Bedlington operates both coaches (Tourmaster) and trucks (Freightmaster).

At first I didn't see the point, since running coaches and trucks is seemingly a very different business.

But I guess there are some specific sector benefits to be had, such as having a shared yard/office (parking, maintenance, tracking/scheduling), getting a good deal on diesel/tyres, certain commonalites in regulatory affairs (insurance, licensing, tacho, cpd), maybe even having drivers who are happy to cover both types of shift.

And of course there's the general benefits of running two different businesses as one, for the customer facing and back office functions. I did have a chuckle at the thought that having a truck to hand might simply be useful to convey large amounts of luggage/equipment relating to a coach charter, but I'm quite sure that's not the case here. Unless Cooper's have tapped into an incredibly niche market of some kind?

Are there any other firms doing this? Specifically like Cooper's, a decent sized nationally known brand/company? I can't immediately think of any, but it would be a bit strange if this was the only one, surely.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Steddenm

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2017
Messages
1,251
Location
Clane, Co. Kildare
Hannons Transport based in Northern Ireland also have a coach operation which run services between Lisburn - Sprucefield - Belfast Grand Central - Belfast Port - Glasgow as well as some private hire work.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,160
Location
Elginshire
Are there any other firms doing this? Specifically like Cooper's, a decent sized nationally known brand/company? I can't immediately think of any, but it would be a bit strange if this was the only one, surely.
Other than the one you've mentioned, I'm not aware of any transport companies that run both freight and passenger operations. Historically, I don't think it was that uncommon, though.

W Alexander & Sons started out this way, by transporting freight during the week and passengers at weekends.

With the purchase of a Bellhaven Charabanc by the late Walter Alexander, the firm of W. Alexander & Sons was founded in 1914. It was with this unique conveyance that he started operating a road passenger service between Falkirk and Bonnybridge on Saturdays and Sundays only. The Charabanc body was lifted off after the last journey on the Sunday night and a platform body fitted. The vehicle thus became a motor lorry for use from Monday till Friday.
Our Buses Past and Present, Sammy Fraser

At the end of the Great War there were plenty of surplus vehicles kicking about, along with a load of men who suddenly had to find something to do. At that point in time vehicle chassis were much more primitive and bodywork would largely be built with wooden framing, making it relatively easy to convert a single vehicle to perform different tasks.
 

Top