• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,473
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
We next move to Scotland for the next journey.....

This is number 855 in the series so far.....

The journey starts at the closed station of Duddingston & Craigmillar
It follows the line of the Edinburgh Suburban Railway...via Blackford Hill
It then follows the line of the Caledonian Railway Main Line...via the Balerno loop line
It then follows the line of the CR Dolphington Branch Line
It then follows the line of the Leadburn, Linton and Dolphington Railway
It then follows the line of the Peebles Railway..via Rosslynlee
It then follows the line of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
It then follows the line of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
It then follows the line of the Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway
It then follows the line of the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway
It then follows the line of the Wishaw and Coltness Railway
It then follows the line of the CR Coalburn Branch Line...via Tillietudlem
The journey ends at the closed station of Bankend

The first closed station on this journey is Duddingston & Craigmillar
 

DerekC

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2015
Messages
2,443
Location
Hampshire (nearly a Hog)
Colinton

In passing I will make my usual comment about the inclusion (or not) of Slateford 1st station. Here's what I found out last year:

The situation is confusing, but I think the map evidence is clear. The original Slateford station is shown on the OS 1:10560 map for around 1855 (the exact dates are sometimes unclear in my source) very close to the bend in the Union Canal where it crosses over Lanark Road (now the A70) on an aqueduct and comes alongside the CR main line - about 300 yards south west of the modern Slateford station. There is no sign of Kingsnowe station on this map. On the next available map (1895 1:2500) both Slateford and Kingsnowe stations in their modern locations are shown. The Wikipedia entry for the Caledonian main line suggests that Kingsnowe station was orginally called Slateford, but I think this is incorrect.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,473
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Juniper Green

I note what you said about the OS 1:10560 map for around 1855 last year and I put your submissions forward to a panel of senior editors at Wikipedia for discussion with a view on a possible Wikipedia amendment to the Caledonian Railway main line article and line template. In the words of the British prime minister in 1939, I have to report I have received no such reassurances and indeed, received a private email of extreme curtness "putting me in my place".

Make of that what you may. Unless such required amendments are forthcoming, I regret to say I do not feel that I can oblige you in amending matters on this quiz. Perhaps a viewing of the current Wikipedia article on Slateford station will be of interest to you, but note it only states a single date of opening.
 
Last edited:

Top