• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2015
Messages
2,443
Location
Hampshire (nearly a Hog)
I think the Liverpool and Manchester Railway leg has been overlooked, with its two closed stations, which followed after Lowton:-

Parkside (2nd station)

Parkside (1st station)

We could, I believe, have travelled via the Parkside Loop, which made a north to west chord avoiding both the Parkside stations.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,476
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Warrington Bank Quay (1st station - 1837 to 1868)

There seems to be a query simmering here. In relation to the currently-open railway station, it was situated near enough to the newer station to fall foul of Rule 4, where it is shown amongst the examples there, thus not being allowed as a posting submission. When @Darren R was a contributor to this quiz a few years ago, he seemed to be somewhat of an expert on matters concerning the Grand Junction Railway and he was adamant that Rule 4 so applied in this case, hence it normally never is mentioned on this quiz.

Warrington Bank Quay station as currently known was opened on 16th November 1868, with platforms on two levels. The low level platforms were closed on 9th September 1963, but the original high-level part of the station still remains open.
 
Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
We could, I believe, have travelled via the Parkside Loop, which made a north to west chord avoiding both the Parkside stations.

That's what I did -- thus being, we learn, the one who fell into error. I misinterpreted the preamble to mean taking this chord; with the L & M bit being just the couple of miles as far as Earlestown -- the "1st and 2nd stations" element flew right over my head. By 'eck, I'm a girt fool (or whatever they say in these parts).

Basford
 

Whistler40145

Established Member
Joined
30 Apr 2010
Messages
6,149
Location
Lancashire
That's what I did -- thus being, we learn, the one who fell into error. I misinterpreted the preamble to mean taking this chord; with the L & M bit being just the couple of miles as far as Earlestown -- the "1st and 2nd stations" element flew right over my head. By 'eck, I'm a girt fool (or whatever they say in these parts).

Basford
Hasn't Coppenhall been overlooked?
 

Top