• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,475
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Briton Ferry West?

Normally, I would have ventured the opinion that Court Sart would have been the station to precede that one.

However in an attempt to check on the possibility of what you say, I think that I have traced the lines from Cape Platform that led to the South Wales Railway. We first would have passed through the open station of Briton Ferry which is on a different site to that of Briton Ferry West (opened 1850, closed 1935.). We then meet the open station of Neath, where we take the line of the Vale of Neath Railway and the first closed station of....

Aberdylais
 
Last edited:

DerekC

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2015
Messages
2,443
Location
Hampshire (nearly a Hog)
I think that I have traced the lines from Cape Platform that led to the South Wales Railway. We first would have passed through the open station of Briton Ferry which is on a different site to that of Briton Ferry West (opened 1850, closed 1935.).


This is all a bit complicated (as normal for South Wales). The connection between the R&SBR and the SWR was just north of the current station of Briton Ferry. To get to it from Cape Platform we would have passed the closed station of Court Sart. On getting to the SWR main line we would need to reverse, which we could do at Briton Ferry West.

A way to get from the R&SBR to the VofNR without reversing would be to use the connection to the Swansea and Neath Railway north of Jersey Marine, then pass through the closed stations of Cardonnel Road, Neath Abbey and Neath Low Level before gaining the VofNR at Neath Junction.

Aberdylais

Clyne Halt
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,475
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
This is all a bit complicated (as normal for South Wales). The connection between the R&SBR and the SWR was just north of the current station of Briton Ferry. To get to it from Cape Platform we would have passed the closed station of Court Sart. On getting to the SWR main line we would need to reverse, which we could do at Briton Ferry West.

As I stated in the earlier posting, I was aware of the Court Sart closed station involvement, as you have described, but I must confess that the differing way (as Briton Ferry West had been nominated as the next closed station after Cape Platform by A Challenge) that I had seen indeed had reversals involved and I was using a rather tattered railway engineering map of much age at that time of research this morning.
 
Last edited:

Top