• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
A GENERAL CONUNDRUM ON RECENT MATTERS

When we left Gaisgill on the South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway to join the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway, the next posting stated that the first closed station passed through was that of Low Gill, but surely the closed station after Gaisgill in that situation would have been Tebay....then Low Gill....when matters were correct from that point.

Sorry, that was me -- Tebay is such a household word re the WCM, that it quite eluded my mind, that it's closed.

I seem to have no luck with things involving Low Gill. I remember in my teens, referring to the place -- in a discussion with a bunch of fellow-enthusiasts about railway scenes far away from where all were -- pronouncing the second word like "Jill": for which my companions mocked me mercilessly. Well, I'd seen the name in print but never heard it spoken; I was from the more southerly parts of England; how was I to know how those strange people up north said it :oops: ?
 

Whistler40145

Established Member
Joined
30 Apr 2010
Messages
6,149
Location
Lancashire
Sorry, that was me -- Tebay is such a household word re the WCM, that it quite eluded my mind, that it's closed.

I seem to have no luck with things involving Low Gill. I remember in my teens, referring to the place -- in a discussion with a bunch of fellow-enthusiasts about railway scenes far away from where all were -- pronouncing the second word like "Jill": for which my companions mocked me mercilessly. Well, I'd seen the name in print but never heard it spoken; I was from the more southerly parts of England; how was I to know how those strange people up north said it :oops: ?
Don't worry mate, I don't think it's a hanging offence
 

Top