• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
Hmm. Paul won't be back for a while...

...can I start a new leg quickly? Please?

****************************************

This is a BONUS LEG

Our leg begins at Hoy
It follows the Sutherland and Caithness Railway
Then, we follow the Duke of Sutherland's Railway
Then, we follow the Sutherland Railway
Then, we follow the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway
Next up is the Inverness and Nairn Railway
Followed by the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway
Next is Inverness and Perth Junction Railway
Now, we follow the Perth and Dunkeld Railway
Then, we come up the Scottish Midland Junction Railway
We next follow the Forfar and Brechin Railway
We next follow the Aberdeen Railway
We next follow the GNoS Denburn Valley Railway
We next follow the Great North of Scotland Railway
Finally, we follow the Banff, Macduff and Turriff Junction Railway
Our final station is Macduff
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Our first station on this journey is Hoy
 
Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
Really? No-one?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Are people deliberately ignoring me?
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
Great! This journey probably won't last very long - I'm not sure how far we'll get with it.

Borrobol Platform
 

Darren R

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2013
Messages
1,252
Location
Lancashire
The Mound


Judging by the lack of activity on the quiz sub-forum I'm guessing I'm not the only one to have been making the most of today's sunshine while it lasts! :D
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,487
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
GENERAL INFORMATION

We returned home from our holiday in West Sussex on the stroke of midnight Saturday night/Sunday morning and I have been monitoring that last long leg that I set before we set off on holiday.

Just a few observations:-
1)...On the Tees Valley Line, after Cargo Fleet, you could have used Grangetown (Closed 1991) than as the preamble said, then took the line of the NER Saltburn to Brotton line and used North Skelton
2)...Metheringham is still an open station
3)...On the Sheffield and Rotherham Railway, after Attercliffe Road, there was Grimethorpe Bridge (1838-1843)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Kildary

I am unsure how many contestants are aware that the top half of the introductory preamble of this "bonus" quiz repeats a number of lines as far down as the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway that were very recently used on journey 412.

Just for information's sake, when this leg is over, the sequential journey series will commence again at journey 424, which is also a leg starting in Scotland.
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
Welcome back, Paul!

As you probably realise, I started this leg to keep things going while you were away. I'm sorry if it's too similar to a recent leg we've had; I just used the first places that popped into my head. I look forward to journey 424, which I daresay will be more organised than this one.

I think that the reason why Metheringham was mentioned was that its old name was 'Blankney and Metheringham'; this may have misled whoever mentioned the station originally. I think that we'll all probably take care when we're next on that route.

Delny
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
Foulis (originally known as Fowlis, with a 'W')

If you prefer, we could always stop this journey once we've reached the end of our present line and start yours. It was only ever meant to fill the gap - and there is now no gap to fill. On the other hand, we could keep going - it's down to personal preference.

On reflection, perhaps I should have chosen a shorter journey. :lol:
 
Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
backontrack said:
Are people deliberately ignoring me?

I realise that this is, on reflection, a very daft comment. I didn't mean to accuse other users of ignoring me in order to offend, but I kinda felt as though I was jumping in out of turn - that I was starting a journey just because I wanted to, subconsciously. I know that that's not true, but I didn't want any of you guys to think that it was. It's just worded badly; if you think you're being ignored and you don't comment on it, then how will you get a response? - though this was all stupidity as I wasn't being ignored in the first place. I'm sorry for this - probably my imagination running away with me (see below) - and also sorry in case you thought I was chasing you up on this and you had to reply.

In any case, I was in what John Buchan and his colleagues would probably call a 'pretty blue funk' - which was due to the lethal combination of work, exams, tiredness and a head cold. This, on reflection, was the reason why I thought I was being ignored - and this was why I posted that message, not any sort of thinly-veiled insensitivity. I would hate that to have been perceived.

In any case, I've probably blown this way out of proportion, so I'll stop here.

Bunchrew
 

Top