• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darren R

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2013
Messages
1,252
Location
Lancashire
You have me at a disadvantage, as I am only aware of two. I shall, therefore, make my post and then I must away to my bed and await what goodies I have missed until a more respectable hour! :D

Osmondthorpe
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,466
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
With some hesitation - Farnley and Wortley

We are now on the line of the Leeds, Bradford and Halifax Junction Railway, if this information is of any help. Farnley and Wortley station was on the Leeds to Manchester line.

The line that we are on, after leaving Leeds, would have passed along on its way to the next closed station on this journey which is heading in the direction of Low Moor and then onto the LYR Spen Valley Line, that was made famous for having one of its stations being stolen !!!
 
Last edited:

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
I thought I was joining the Spen Valley line at Farnley and Wortley......

However, on the line now being joined Holbeck High Level was the first station, though I'm not sure if it's off route
 

Darren R

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2013
Messages
1,252
Location
Lancashire
I'm assuming Holbeck is where we change from the low-level platforms from Leeds New to the high-level platforms from Leeds Central, if that makes sense!

Armley & Wortley

(Or Armless & Wortley as my phone would have it! :roll:)
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,466
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
I thought I was joining the Spen Valley line at Farnley and Wortley......

However, on the line now being joined Holbeck High Level was the first station, though I'm not sure if it's off route

What you have to be careful to remember is that both the LNWR and the LYR had different lines that ran down the Spen Valley. To differentiate between three of the settlement stations of both railways, the LNWR ones ended in SPEN, whereas the LYR ones ended in CENTRAL.

To help move matters ever-onwards on the Leeds, Bradford and Halifax Junction Railway, we arrive at the first closed station after Armley and Wortley on that line.....

Stanningley for Farnley
 
Last edited:

Darren R

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2013
Messages
1,252
Location
Lancashire
Newton Heath

(Proud home of Northern's finest! :lol: What would Aspinall think of what is based there today, I wonder.)
 

Top